As the hardcore raider dies, Alt-mania should be design driven

Macetheace

hardcore raiding is dying.... not just in swtor where it has never played as strong a role as it had done in other games, but the hardcore raider is a dying breed, as the time consumption, many hours of play, and aging gaming population most now in their mied to late twenteis, often married with their first kid or two coming through realise it is untenable.

stilltoo, the covetousness for the have's by the have nots, creates a strong desire for devleopers in their rush to to satisfy and please the bulk of their customer base (which are the have nots), forces them to make these highly desired powerful pieces more readily availble, hte rewards don't match the cost for most HC gamers, so most don't fixate like they use too, not just in this game, but in many others.

their are ups and downs to this ofc, generally for the health of the individual if it means more time doing things in life that matter tahn sacrificing valuable free time to be wholly consumed by gaming, then it is a good thing. However, as far as the health of hte game goes, it means less playing, less tmosphere, but there are other ways to get round it. Those who have the time want to spend the time just diverserfy their activity. Now levellng more than one chracter, mainatianing more htan one character at a very high level, is an extremely popular option.

It is perhapseasiest and most fruitful in this mmo than in any other atm, and it actually now is the growing trend for hardcore gamers. To such ends, I feel design focus should be puored into boosting the usefulness, relevance and development of the alts.

MMOs really do struggle with sustainability over long periods of time, new content rapidly consumed -- MAkeb was finished by most people in a matter of hours, not even days or weeks - what is it that keeps players playing? Alts !! you do it on one alt, then you do it on anotehr. etc

Edited by Macetheace

As such I feel steps must be taking to make the experience even more engaging and more rewarding. Haivng alternate characters maxed out and well geared should benefit the player evn more. Not just in shared legacy perks, which more should be available, but in a host of ways.

Also switching between alts accessing alt equipment etc should be moer readily availble.

. discount for most activities

. shared crew skill companions - ability to send an alt characters companion on a mission from another character.

. more benefits from heroic moment: e.g. heroic abilities based on advnaced class

added

MAke gearing an alt even easier if you have a main character. I like that you can transfer mods via legacy bound items to an alternate character: this should be made even easier or chepaer.

. Fun features like Legacy abilitiy that will allow your alt character to join you and your companion in another heroic moment type ability. During which your current active toon can temporarriy become as you control your summoned alt character fully.

Another option is it could be that certain weeklies completed on one character will be completed on all characters, Or rather on an alt pair:

Alt Pairs: a dedicated partner alt, that would share mission completions allowing you to hae the rewards appear on both characters.

Alternatively;: Mission rewards, and commendation tokens, are saved to legacy, furhter more, with each alt you ahve that can accpet the mission, you will gain a 20% increase in reawards.

So for e.g. Finishing the Terror From Beyond Story Mode weekly on character A earns you 10 elite commendations to your legacy not character, if character B is also level 55, you instead earn 12.5 commendations, if you have a character C, you earn 15 commendations.

alterantive could be that you get the commendations to the character that does the mission as you do right now, however an additional 50% of the commendation rewards goes to the legacy vault. LEts say each character you at that level or higher will cause a 20% incerease in commendation rewards to the legacy vault.

e.g.. You have 5 toons at level 55. Each toon at the level of the mission you are completing on the active toons grants a 20% reward bonus (cumulative) on commendations, that will go to the legacy vault. So Character A completes TfB SM weekly. He gets the standard 12 Ultimate Comms rewards, but, because there are 4 other toons each earning 20% increased comms, you get 12 elie comms aviallbe on the legacy vault as well, you can take comms from the legacy vault to any of your characters.

Weekly caps apply to characters, not legacy. and commendations you draw from the legacy vault, will count towards the cap

. A legacy Cargo Hold

As such I feel steps must be taking to make the experience even more engaging and more rewarding. Haivng alternate characters maxed out and well geared should benefit the player evn more. Not just in shared legacy perks, which more should be available, but in a host of ways.

Also switching between alts accessing alt equipment etc should be moer readily availble.

. discount for most activities

. shared crew skill companions - ability to send an alt characters companion on a mission from another character.

. more benefits from heroic moment: e.g. heroic abilities based on advnaced class

added

MAke gearing an alt even easier if you have a main character. I like that you can transfer mods via legacy bound items to an alternate character: this should be made even easier or chepaer.

. Fun features like Legacy abilitiy that will allow your alt character to join you and your companion in another heroic moment type ability. During which your current active toon can temporarriy become as you control your summoned alt character fully.

Another option is it could be that certain weeklies completed on one character will be completed on all characters, Or rather on an alt pair:

Alt Pairs: a dedicated partner alt, that would share mission completions allowing you to hae the rewards appear on both characters.

Alternatively;: Mission rewards, and commendation tokens, are saved to legacy, furhter more, with each alt you ahve that can accpet the mission, you will gain a 20% increase in reawards.

So for e.g. Finishing the Terror From Beyond Story Mode weekly on character A earns you 10 elite commendations to your legacy not character, if character B is also level 55, you instead earn 12.5 commendations, if you have a character C, you earn 15 commendations.

alterantive could be that you get the commendations to the character that does the mission as you do right now, however an additional 50% of the commendation rewards goes to the legacy vault. LEts say each character you at that level or higher will cause a 20% incerease in commendation rewards to the legacy vault.

e.g.. You have 5 toons at level 55. Each toon at the level of the mission you are completing on the active toons grants a 20% reward bonus (cumulative) on commendations, that will go to the legacy vault. So Character A completes TfB SM weekly. He gets the standard 12 Ultimate Comms rewards, but, because there are 4 other toons each earning 20% increased comms, you get 12 elie comms aviallbe on the legacy vault as well, you can take comms from the legacy vault to any of your characters.

Weekly caps apply to characters, not legacy. and commendations you draw from the legacy vault, will count towards the cap

. A legacy Cargo Hold

My only problem with that is that it might make gearing up your alts a little too fast. Wit the 2.0 comm limits I felt the restrictions made alt gearing way too slow. Bioware has adjusted them now and I have not tested how much time it takes to gear up toons at the moment. I still feel the Black Hole comms set up was their best work in my opinion.

At the same time, I am an altaholic and welcome legacy features as I care more for unlocking them than playing operations.

Edited by SentinelDranoel

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.