Telekinetics or Balance?

NavyAce

Ok just started a DPS Sage and I was wonder what tree was better all around? I am only level 25 and I like to PvP and PvE. What tree should I use that would be the best for both? I know this question has probably ben asked already I just can't seem to find it and I am sorry for asking it again. Thanks to anyone that helps. I really appreciate it.

Ace.

all dps specs for the sage (PVE) are viable. You can do roughly the same dps if played correctly with the full telekinetics, full balance, and the hybrid telekinetics/bal hybrid. the differences between the specs (crit luck, lag, or some other random thing happening permitting) are not significant enough that one spec is better than the others for all fights or for dummy dps.

With that being said there are a few fights in the pve side of things where burst dps (telekinetics) is more valued than dot dps (bal or hybrid). Prime example is hm dread master skyrak especially on 16 man. Although you can get by and do ok with a full balance or hybrid build your healers will really really appreciate you going burst spec so you can kill the adds faster and require less healing.

for pvp it depends on your playstyle. I prefer to heal most of the time so I'm no expert on the dps side of things for the sage but I have seen some high numbers in matches from both a bal or telekinetic speced sage.

Ok just started a DPS Sage and I was wonder what tree was better all around? I am only level 25 and I like to PvP and PvE. What tree should I use that would be the best for both? I know this question has probably ben asked already I just can't seem to find it and I am sorry for asking it again. Thanks to anyone that helps. I really appreciate it. Ace.

For PvE both Telekinetic and Balance are quite decent specs. Balance is a DoT spec and quite mobile while Telekinetic is a burst, half-immobile spec. Which is the "best" is generally dependent on boss fight mechanics.

For PvP both specs can get quite high numbers but Balance is rather "fluffy" damage as it is rather easy to heal through and cleanse away if you're facing a decent healer. There either Tele or a Tele heavy hybrid would probably be the best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

I think tele is crap in PvP. It might work if you're on a rated team, where tanks and healers can babysit you, but in normal warzones I'll laugh and kill you in a few rotation on balance/hyrbid. I also find tele to be horrible to level with. You'll get much more mobility out of balance/hybrid.

THAT SAID, tele has its' benefits in end-game PvE and on coordinated PvP teams and since it's much more difficult to play well than balance/hybrid, which is one of the easiest specs in the game, I'd advice you to start on it as soon as possible.

Telekinetics is far from terrible in PvP. It's not as mobile as Balance, but in return you get:

• Better burst damage
  • Stun bubble
  • 5s root on your knockback
  • AoE root/slow
  • Shorter cooldown on Force Barrier
  • Shorter cooldown on Force Slow
  • Shorter cooldown on Force Speed
  • Shorter cooldown and longer duration on Mental Alacrity
  • Better interrupt
  • Better Force Management

TK has far better utility than Balance, especially since Balance lost instant Force Lift. The 0/30/16 hybrid, however, has nearly as good utility, but trades single target burst damage for more mobility and AoE to pressure enemy healers. Both are great PvP specs, pick your poison!

For PvE they're both good specs, it's down to individual fight mechanics to determine which is better.

Edited by Gondolindhrim

No. I did not read all of the above posts, just the first one. But here is a quick hint.

Balance is mostly instant casts. You generally only use 5 buttons, and only have 1 proc (which has a wonderful visual effect so you don't have to watch your buff bar) to watch for. Although, you do need to keep an eye on your cool downs and de-buffs on enemies. This is a very mobile build and is great for pvp, but I use it in pve since it is not so dependent on hitting buttons quickly on procs. This build is a bit more boring, but easier on group mobs as you get "force in balance".

Telekinetic is mostly longer casts. It isn't as mobile, 6 abilities are used on cooldown/proc ( it might be 7), and you HAVE to watch for those procs or your dps suffers. If you are too slow or notice you are missing some, go Balance. It is a fun build but very very challenging to do and keep up the dps.

Just my Opinoin

I just switched to full TK. Anyone have a good rotation for this spec,? TIA!

At 55, I love playing as a TK sage. I struggled with it quite a bit at first because it seems really susceptible to interrupts (and it is), but it's just a matter of running away and making your opponents get bored of chasing you, then returning and taking shots at them from range. As a TK sage, I dread when I get focused by a marauder/jugg. Basically I just try to stun them and run away (often doesn't work).

Anyway, I go with this:

weaken mind (creates an auto-crit for turbulence)

turbulence

disturbance (to trigger tidal force if not already triggered by turbulence)

telekinetic wave (whenever you get tidal force for instant cast)

telekinetic throw when you get psychic projection

mix in project when available

periodic mind crush

apply force speed liberally

EDIT: OP, for leveling in pvp, I would lean more towards balance than TK. The real power of TK is, in my opinion, the awesome burst generated by the auto-crit turbulence. Being that turbulence is at the pinnacle of the TK tree, you won't get it until much later one. Therefore, I would go with balance until you hit 50 or 51.

Edited by teclado

At 55, I love playing as a TK sage. I struggled with it quite a bit at first because it seems really susceptible to interrupts (and it is), but it's just a matter of running away and making your opponents get bored of chasing you, then returning and taking shots at them from range. As a TK sage, I dread when I get focused by a marauder/jugg. Basically I just try to stun them and run away (often doesn't work).

Anyway, I go with this:

weaken mind (creates an auto-crit for turbulence)

turbulence

disturbance (to trigger tidal force if not already triggered by turbulence)

telekinetic wave (whenever you get tidal force for instant cast)

telekinetic throw when you get psychic projection

mix in project when available

periodic mind crush

apply force speed liberally

EDIT: OP, for leveling in pvp, I would lean more towards balance than TK. The real power of TK is, in my opinion, the awesome burst generated by the auto-crit turbulence. Being that turbulence is at the pinnacle of the TK tree, you won't get it until much later one. Therefore, I would go with balance until you hit 50 or 51.

I started saving the stun and using slow instead. I usually purge/slow. Most of the time they are thrown out of rhythm because they were expecting a stun. I have been doing madness because it is easier and I am coming to like it. However, I have found that if you don't panic and just keep your head most of the time you will be fine. The biggest issue is when you have a couple of melee on you at which point you can't help but kite them into your team to peal since you don't have the tools to handle multiple targets. Many times vs a single target though you don't even need to waste your slow because they just got blinded by your bubble. Keep your head and with a bit of practice you will find all but the best juggs/maras easier.

. However, I have found that if you don't panic and just keep your head most of the time you will be fine.
This.

The main problem many sorcs/sages seem to have in PvP is just that, that they panic. I'm not saying that they should eat a full ravage but there are times when it's better to simply hold your ground rather than running off and giving a warrior or sent a free leap, at the same time as it prevents you from using certain abilties.

• 3 weeks later...
I think tele is crap in PvP. It might work if you're on a rated team, where tanks and healers can babysit you, but in normal warzones I'll laugh and kill you in a few rotation on balance/hyrbid. I also find tele to be horrible to level with. You'll get much more mobility out of balance/hybrid.

THAT SAID, tele has its' benefits in end-game PvE and on coordinated PvP teams and since it's much more difficult to play well than balance/hybrid, which is one of the easiest specs in the game, I'd advice you to start on it as soon as possible.

Its all down to playstyle and preference really, not how good the trees are, I mean, while levelling up via PvE Questing, the combat is 90% group oriented, as in you face more then 2 enemies, unless its a quest boss elite, then its just 1v1, but as I said, 90% of everything is aoe-focused, making TK more easier.

But maybe you have a talent for a single target dotter spec, from experience with this game's combat system, the longer the fight lasts past 3 seconds, the more damage you take

This.

The main problem many sorcs/sages seem to have in PvP is just that, that they panic. I'm not saying that they should eat a full ravage but there are times when it's better to simply hold your ground rather than running off and giving a warrior or sent a free leap, at the same time as it prevents you from using certain abilties.

I never understand how people can panic, its a game and isn't real.....but I guess people say the same about me and moral choices. lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.