"Objective Players"

Cosch

What does that even mean? Just because you're terrible and can't break 200k damage doesn't make you an "objective oriented" player. Most of the players that I know who do a lot of damage/healing/protection share this incredible "objective oriented" talent of yours where you can tab target to someone capping a node and CC/attack them. Stop pretending that this excuses how terrible you are and just admit that you're bad. Huttball is the obvious exception to this rule.

Funny thing is, I'm much more often the person with the top objectives than in the top 3 of the damage one. Sorry, I'm doing as good as I can, but I'm not the best pvper there is and if I have to make the call to stay near the node or join a melee zerg 30m away from it, I'll pick staying near the node every time. Thanks to these 2 things, I usually do end up having more objectives than most of my teammates and less damage than the top dps on our team. Should I do something different?

Funny thing is, I'm much more often the person with the top objectives than in the top 3 of the damage one. Sorry, I'm doing as good as I can, but I'm not the best pvper there is and if I have to make the call to stay near the node or join a melee zerg 30m away from it, I'll pick staying near the node every time. Thanks to these 2 things, I usually do end up having more objectives than most of my teammates and less damage than the top dps on our team. Should I do something different?

You can get a lot of damage/prot/healing without tunneling and ignoring objectives. This post mostly refers to those people who i see in the fray the whole game but come out with low stats. When you ask these people how they did 90k damage when they were at mid the whole game and they respond that they're an "objective player", that's where I'm confused.

Edited by Cosch

It means you're the guy to respec heals/tank if there are none, it means you're the guy that sits bored on a node while everyone else TDMs all over the map, and you also respond quickly to calls for help. Just to name a few things an "objective" player does to win, not for numbers. Edited by RiChess

Depends completly on the situation. In huttball for example, i very rarely have any dmg worth mentioning, but i often win games due that playstyle. Obviously i couldn't do that alone and neither could the DPS'rs, someone needs to DPS too, but just because my dmg is low does not by any means equal that i didn't pull my share.

Or take AHG. Just tonight i capped the enemy pylon and won us a game we otherwise would have lost. What i did each round was; Go mid, grab an orb, deliver, stealth and go to their side and try to cap their pylon. I came out with like 67k damage, but i won us the match.

Damage on the chart does not neccesarily tell you anything about a persons contribution to a match. There are good and bad players, and the bad ones are easily spotted....what excuses those players has, matters less.

It means you're the guy to respec heals/tank if there are none, it means you're the guy that sits bored on a node while everyone else TDMs all over the map, and you also respond quickly to calls for help. Just to name a few things an "objective" player does to win, not for numbers.

This. I'd want one of these guys on my team doing something tactically useful, as opposed to PK-starved trolls (mostly because said PK-starved trolls are a dime a dozen already.)

Alot of objective points can be good but some people farm them even if it means losing the match. One of the guilds on my server is notorious for it (can't name names but it's a popular Tom Cruise jet fighter movie), they just spend the whole time on the node, even if it's 3 or 4 of them, even if we only have the one node. You can pretty much only count on them fighting if the enemy attacks their node. And it works, with the few attacks they get plus the objective points they usually get the top right of the charts in medal count over those of us fighting for a second node.

Point is, the numbers don't matter. In my case as soon as a big group of us clear a node I'm immediately running to the next, I never get defense points. Usually if 5 of you kill all the enemies at west, and no red names are in view, you're about to lose something so you better be running. Don't wait for the call.

Because I don't focus on what numbers I get, I'm just running to put out the next fire, I consider myself an "objective player". Although once I was on a team and we all rushed to the next node. That was one of the few times I ran back to defend the one as just held... But it's rare that pugs are that reactive without people Calling out.

Edited by Kerensk

What does that even mean? Just because you're terrible and can't break 200k damage doesn't make you an "objective oriented" player...Stop pretending that this excuses how terrible you are and just admit that you're bad.

While players like you are beating on the same healer for 15 minutes or using tab to decide who to jump on next, players like me are actually winning the game. Derps think that by having the most damage or heals is what wins matches, when it isn't. It's playing the game to WIN, not playing the game to pad stats. And here's the biggest secret of all:

Winning the game gives you more XP, more cash, and more medals than going after personal achievements.

On offense In Huttball, I'm either scoring myself, guarding the player with the ball, clearing a path, or moving into position for a pass. On defense, I'm on the ball carrier like glue and always looking to leap for an interception. Huttball in particular, I practically ignore everyone else on the other team and rarely break 100k damage.

Playing objectives on the other maps is even more simple. It's all about situational awareness. If you're 2-capped and deadlocked at a node, make a push for the other one. Be the guy who leads the charge, not the one who's the last to show up. Or worse, the guy who keeps jumping into the fray when outnumbered.

Huttball is the obvious exception to this rule.

You can get a lot of damage/prot/healing without tunneling and ignoring objectives.

ITT: "Objective Players"

Read this before you post something stupid.

While players like you are beating on the same healer for 15 minutes or using tab to decide who to jump on next, players like me are actually winning the game. Derps think that by having the most damage or heals is what wins matches, when it isn't. It's playing the game to WIN, not playing the game to pad stats. And here's the biggest secret of all:

Winning the game gives you more XP, more cash, and more medals than going after personal achievements.

On offense In Huttball, I'm either scoring myself, guarding the player with the ball, clearing a path, or moving into position for a pass. On defense, I'm on the ball carrier like glue and always looking to leap for an interception. Huttball in particular, I practically ignore everyone else on the other team and rarely break 100k damage.

Playing objectives on the other maps is even more simple. It's all about situational awareness. If you're 2-capped and deadlocked at a node, make a push for the other one. Be the guy who leads the charge, not the one who's the last to show up. Or worse, the guy who keeps jumping into the fray when outnumbered.

But that's the point of this thread. You can do both. There's seldom good reason for one, maybe two, players producing low numbers. Assuming a contentious map, anyone below 300k (bare minimum) is a crap player; non-negotiable POV. You have to attack the door to plant, fight to hold mid, and kill the ball handler trying to score - all of which give objective points. Of course numbers matter because you get them en route TO the objective. Damage isn't important except for the other team trying to kill you first.

Here's the thing about mediocre/bad players. They underestimate just how quickly strong players can read a match in real time, its what makes us (good players) excel at pvp in the first place. We notice pivotal stuns/grapples or an opportunistic attack; tactical adjustments. We also notice when people DON"T do them. And often, its the same people at the bottom of boards claiming to be an "objective player". Hence, the point of the thread.

- Jolly

Harbinger

edit for clarification

Edited by Sowwy

So a person could have more objective points than the rest of his team combined, but if he has less than 200k damage he's a scrub? I see.

I might add the above is easily obtainable in Voidstar, Hutball, and Hypergate.

Edited by Alphasgimaone

So a person could have more objective points than the rest of his team combined, but if he has less than 200k damage he's a scrub? I see.

I might add the above is easily obtainable in Voidstar, Hutball, and Hypergate.

I've been the sole guard of snow before and not had anyone come to me. So I had 0 damage, 0 healing, 0 protection - but a **** load of objective points.

Am I a scrub?

Not generalizing here but,

I see a lot of PTs play this way. And it's not "new 2.0 behavior" (as some think PTs got a OMGWTFENDITALL nerf). These guys will go to natural and stay there for the whole match; end of the match comes around, they'll get top place since natural got attacked like, 1 time (by a couple stragglers) and maybe he threw a little guard up on whoever friendly responder showed up. YES, this PT (pu$$y-tech) guarded an objective point for the entire match, and that's GOOD (someone had to do it), but for the love of god, don't spec into PT and do this. There's AP & ShieldTech, that would make you a stronger node guard than PT (If you so insist in node guarding), or just roll a Sin.

I'm expecting a PT to come and fight for the non-natural with me, throw taunts, pull, DD peeps down etc...

Just sayin'

Edited by Seengularity

I just want to throw out there that objective points are pretty damn useless. I truly hope none of you gauge your achievement on those.

purty much. My operative was so determined to get the daily won even though it was against a really really good premade.

I just molested the healer, and stealth stalled everyone.

Nearly bottom of the team, near lowest medals, no mvp.

Caused a win.

Objective player usually means they never did anything useful the whole game.

It is hard to not accomplish your objective if you're killing a lot of people. It'd just happen by accident.

There's only two exceptions to this:

1. The guy guarding solo the whole time. He'd have very low numbers but very high objectives.

2. The ball carrier in Huttball who can't quite score. Carrying the ball yields no objective (only +500 for picking it first time), and he wouldn't have much numbers tos how for it either.

It means you're the guy to respec heals/tank if there are none, it means you're the guy that sits bored on a node while everyone else TDMs all over the map, and you also respond quickly to calls for help. Just to name a few things an "objective" player does to win, not for numbers.

Because if you do all that your numbers end up being insane. I do it all the time and come out with 13+ medals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.