Confused DPS

Darth_Exar

I usually play as a DPS when I enter Flashpoints, I know my role and I know that I shouldn't enter combat before the Tank. I've been taught by most MMOs to attack the weakest enemy first and move my way up to clean mobs quickly and efficiently and not to aggro what the Tank is attacking . But recently I've had a couple of people shout at me that I'm not attacking the same target as the Tank. For example :

Mob of 5, 1 strong enemy, 1 elite and 3 normal - usually I would aim straight for the normal enemies then the strong and the tank would go straight for the elite so the healer wont get aggro. But then either the healer or tank would shout at me to attack the elite and move to whatever target the Tank is going for after that.... so I'm like 'but wont the healer get aggro?'

Before 2.0 I never got this and its making me slightly confused. Did the tanking mechanics change? Did the dps role change? More aggro, less aggro ? I just don't get it.

This goes for all types of Flashpoints including the level 55's. Any help would be great.

Bad groups are bad.

As healer I commend you for going after the weak ones first. I don't know how many times I died/almost died in the first pull of Maelstrom because everyone would attack one strong and I would get gang banged by the 10 standard mobs standing around that no one picked up.

I'm with Capt_Beers on this one. Those who chided you are wrong. Maybe they came from other games where following the tank is "proper procedure," but in SWTOR, tanking is different.

Yes, with 2.0 AOE tanking has gotten a little better, but not enough to follow the tank's target ALL the time.

The tank takes on the biggest, baddest in the group, does his/her AOE thing, but the DPS still take out the rest weakest to strongest.

Edited by psandak

I usually play as a DPS when I enter Flashpoints, I know my role and I know that I shouldn't enter combat before the Tank. I've been taught by most MMOs to attack the weakest enemy first and move my way up to clean mobs quickly and efficiently and not to aggro what the Tank is attacking . But recently I've had a couple of people shout at me that I'm not attacking the same target as the Tank. For example :

Mob of 5, 1 strong enemy, 1 elite and 3 normal - usually I would aim straight for the normal enemies then the strong and the tank would go straight for the elite so the healer wont get aggro. But then either the healer or tank would shout at me to attack the elite and move to whatever target the Tank is going for after that.... so I'm like 'but wont the healer get aggro?'

Before 2.0 I never got this and its making me slightly confused. Did the tanking mechanics change? Did the dps role change? More aggro, less aggro ? I just don't get it.

This goes for all types of Flashpoints including the level 55's. Any help would be great.

Naw man, you are doing the right thing. Ignore raging tards. 1) what you are doing is more efficient, helps the healer, and the group overall by making the tanks job easier overall and 2) if said tank yells at you for this don't question yourself. If they're gonna be jerks outright for no reason just ignore their rudeness and continue doing your thing. If they're polite you can probably discuss it and decide as a group what's best. The healer will probably side with you :)

Yeah OP there are lots of bad groups like this, sadly. I queue mostly as DPS and do the same, but I often see my counter part not doing the same. My DPS is usually high enough that it doesn't matter. The only time I usually say something is if a. I'm tanking, b. The wrong DPS is causing wipes. This is ultimately laziness on my part, that and I don't want to get into an argument with a baddie who's convinced he's doing it right, which has happened. If someone yelled at me for attacking the wrong target I'd just ignore or mock them.

Thanks folks. Good to know that it hasn't suddenly changed my role. But its just really weird. I've had this happen to me about 8 times now. And its only been after 2.0. The major one was in HM Hammer Station where the tank and healer wouldn't get off my back and threatened to kick me. They were in the same guild so maybe it was them just trying to be idiots. Edited by Darth_Exar

Bad groups are bad.

As healer I commend you for going after the weak ones first. I don't know how many times I died/almost died in the first pull of Maelstrom because everyone would attack one strong and I would get gang banged by the 10 standard mobs standing around that no one picked up.

so. much. this.

OP, you just got yourself a bad group. you are doing it exactly right, so please keep doing it, good groups, especialy healers will love you for it.

as for that tank and healer duo? well, if it were me, I'd do exactly as they asked and then cackle to myself, watching healer die over and over.

Edited by Jeweledleah

I think a case where you might get called out is if, say there are multiple strongs and elite out kind of grouped together, and everyone is attacking the group of strongs and you're soloing the one strong that's separated out and taking a lot of damage from it. Best case scenario, everyone is focusing down the same mobs from weakest to strongest.

The major one was in HM Hammer Station where the tank and healer wouldn't get off my back and threatened to kick me. They were in the same guild so maybe it was them just trying to be idiots.

I've seen this before, when this happens I don't mind being kicked. Obviously there a bad group and why would I want run with them if they don't know how to play? Also, I believe being kicked allows you to group again immediately without the penalty of dropping when you realized how bad they were.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

Completely off topic.. but when I read the thread title.. my first thought was "redundancy in words" I wonder what's in store inside the thread. :p

J/K :D

I too mostly DPS... I just do it with a sense of humor....even when face meets dirt. :)

Edited by Andryah

OP you are doing it right.

This - there is nothing more frustrating that having people not follow the kill order. I constantly have to ask people "kill the easy stuff please".

Definitely kill the easiest targets first.

Keep in mind some pulls have healer NPC's - those will need to be killed first.

If the targets are all high HP with minor difference, you probably wanna stay on the tank's.

Completely off topic.. but when I read the thread title.. my first thought was "redundancy in words" I wonder what's in store inside the thread. :p

J/K :D

I too mostly DPS... I just do it with a sense of humor....even when face meets dirt. :)

As that one ratty alien said on Corellia " May the floor be with you ".

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.