Rateds need an overhaul

HybridCode

My guild loves rateds, biggest problem for us is our tank is usually not on. When we do have a tank on and we try to Q, no one else is Q'n. We usually whisper around and everyone seems to say about the same thing, "We don't have enough people on atm." I don't know the best way to resolve this, but in my head I'm think of some type of group finder format where you choose a dropdown in it for the spot available/the spot you want. I.E. my guild would choose a tank. A tank who is in Q will pop up. We can see the players name, maybe stats, and decide if we want to pick him up or not. Like I said I don't know the best way, but let's be honest, regs get pretty dull after awhile. Any thoughts?

Wait, bastion complaining about no rated queues? Lol?

Only a few teams Q up, even with all the people on the server.

It's pretty amazing how only a handful Q up, either some guilds over think it, are not ready, are scared to get face rolled, or ect.

I do think Bioware needs to add something else, arena or cross servers or some form of incentive for people to Q for rated more.

At this moment its a waiting game waiting for people to make a group and Q, unless your in one of the top rated guilds or guilds building up that isn't scared to lose.

I don't understand why people would be afraid to get beaten. Life goes on. Rateds are a test. You've got one percent of all gamers here who will pass virtually every time. That's OK.

The whole process is just too, too restrictive to properly participate. Any remote chance my guild had to put a team together was crippled last week. Used to have multiple rated healers, now they've left for another place that can queue rateds. Same with a tank sin. Hard to really blame them as they've wanted to do the same thing with the guild. Pre 2.0, it was typically a lack of jugg and/or quality DPSers. Now, we bascially lack everything but dps. We've got some healers converting but there's a learning curve. Still have virtually no tanks. Then getting them all to log on at the same time. Some people can play on weekends. Some people can play late night. Some people need primetime evenings. It's a mess.

This group composition thing could possibly matter less if we had global queueing, and the rating system actually macthed people correctly. However, it's sad that the only way to even closely simulate this is by artifiically trying to queue two teams yourself.

Why can't we have practice 8 versus 8 Bioware? Because you can't code it? Too busy fine tuning your unwanted and broken bolster system? We actually have a PvP team? Hello? McFly?

The whole rated system has just been maddening to me personally as you can tell. It's kinda to the point where some days I just log off early after a few normals. I've leveled 4-5 guys to 50 now, but in the end I ask myself why bother. The end result's the same. Repeating the same failure over and over again, isn't that what insanity is?

Edited by islander

Just a thought. Find people who want to do rateds when you can do rateds and guild up. You only need 8 people. Find the right group and play together. Just shows lack of leadership that you can't find the people.

Can I ask if you play rateds? How do you sit there and say the there is a lack of leadership because you can't find 8 people? Even you had 20 people on in your guild, but they all played MERC DPS should they still play rateds? Would you bring your practice squad players in a real NFL match if you didn't have too? Most people won't play rateds with just anybody. If you are not an established guild the good players will not play. You are talking about a game where PUGS cry over regular WZ'S because they don't want to face premades. Do you as a GM want to take pugs who won't even group up for regs into your rateds team. :rolleyes:

Just a thought. Find people who want to do rateds when you can do rateds and guild up. You only need 8 people. Find the right group and play together. Just shows lack of leadership that you can't find the people.

A very simplistic thought.

You don't only need 8 people. You need basically 8 specific archtypes. Operative healer. Sorc healer. Tanksin. Jugg Tank. DPSsin. Sniper. DPS Warrior. Last spot is flex-DPS.

You also need them to not suck at warzones, and be reasonably highly geared.

Then you need to get them all to commit to a specific period of time (like a raid) twice a week or whatever.

What happens if RL affects one or two of these 8 people. Do you have backups? NO? Too bad.

Your comment only shows you having a lack of a clue.

A very simplistic thought.

You don't only need 8 people. You need basically 8 specific archtypes. Operative healer. Sorc healer. Tanksin. Jugg Tank. DPSsin. Sniper. DPS Warrior. Last spot is flex-DPS.

You also need them to not suck at warzones, and be reasonably highly geared.

I agree that you need specific archetypes but which ones are open to debate. This is why it's very difficult to form competitive ranked teams because there are soo many people that are automatically disqualified in order to meet a particular composition.

Then you need to get them all to commit to a specific period of time (like a raid) twice a week or whatever.

What happens if RL affects one or two of these 8 people. Do you have backups? NO? Too bad.

This is the second problem plaguing rateds:

• People have fixed teams/compositions for maximum synergy
  • People are unwilling to risk losses by mixing up the team synergy
  • No such thing as backups because backups are left to hang most of the time, they would rather find their own clique of 8
  • Guilds that manage to have more than one rated team will not give players as backups if the "A team" doesn't have enough players.
  • Concepts of "A team", "B team", "C team" just fractures a guild making it impossible to deal with filling missing players in a composition

Rated's were meant to be tough, that's why its rated. There are very few rated groups that are actually okay with loosing. The highest rated teams/players rarely like mixing it up, because their ego's won't handle a loss which costs them a large amount of rating. At the same time they expect new entrants into the rated scene to eat the losses that they don't want to.

Honestly, how many times have the top rated players decided to do run a ludicrous team composition?

This whole conversation I had with a player a long time ago. Rated warzones with this current implementation of PvP will only die because the experience becomes stale. I cringe having to play Alderaan or Novare Coast because I know exactly what to expect 99.999% of the time in rated warzones - a stalemated slugfest.

Edited by Yeochins

The whole process is just too, too restrictive to properly participate. Any remote chance my guild had to put a team together was crippled last week. Used to have multiple rated healers, now they've left for another place that can queue rateds. Same with a tank sin. Hard to really blame them as they've wanted to do the same thing with the guild. Pre 2.0, it was typically a lack of jugg and/or quality DPSers. Now, we bascially lack everything but dps. We've got some healers converting but there's a learning curve. Still have virtually no tanks. Then getting them all to log on at the same time. Some people can play on weekends. Some people can play late night. Some people need primetime evenings. It's a mess.

This x 1000. you hit the nail on the head ...... it is waaay too restrictive. The devs have even mentioned in a yellow post that they understand it is hard to A) get 8 people on that want to participate and B) have the proper classes AND specs to play it. Queuing up without this obviously leads back to A because people get discouraged when they get rolled with a rag tag group. I think smaller group sizes would eliminate some of these problems .... hint Arenas. I am not certain what the answer is, but 8 man ranked does not appear to be working.

Edited by Ariak-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.