Why I Don't Queue Sometimes as a Tank

skitzogreg

I thought some of you might find this interesting. There are a number of threads that are pro-cross server FP's/Ops/Warzones, where a lot of times the complaint is due to high numbers of DPS players and low numbers of tanks. I'm not making a complaint about this, but I thought I'd let the community know why, as a tank, I don't queue as often as I used to:

1) First and foremost, it's not the community. You guys are awesome to play this game with and I have zero people on my ignore list. As long as you're geared (enough) for the FP/Ops and don't queue as the wrong spec, then there are rarely any complaint issues.

2) When the 55 FP's started picking up, I geared fast. Yes, I took some extra time and kept running 55 FP's because it was almost an insta-pop. 2-3 gear pieces a night? It was nice. But the caveat was the lack of motivation for the continuance of a long FP (I ALWAYS complete the bonus; nobody should be left out of a chance for free gear) when you are maxed out in gear.

3) Dovetailing of (2), once you are maxed out in gear, there is almost zero reason to run the FP's outside of the weekly 3 HM quest. The credit payout is poor; in a pug you have the potential to wipe multiple times (you don't know the group after all), so you can lose more credits than you gain in the ops.

4) People still need to gear. In other words, I won't hesitate to ask if I can need on an off-spec or companion gear if the others in the party greed for something. [Please note, I said ask. Please don't ninja loot.] However, DPS is typically the tank off-spec, and our DPS players aren't getting enough time in the FP's to NOT need the DPS gear anymore, so that's out too.

Here's my suggestion. I would love to be in the queue more if it just paid out more. More mats/loot would drive others to run the FP's for a tangible reason. I think that if you fix the payout, you'll see your queues improve.

I agree completely with you OP.

When 2.0 came out I got completely geared in 69s in 3 days doing nothing but HMs when I reached 55. Being a tank meant I could do them continuously. After that I just didn't pug at all anymore. I only do the weekly for the comms and help the guild if they want to do a gear run. Other then that the hassle with pugs is just not worth it since it only seems to cost credits.

Consider yourself lucky. I hvae at least 20 people on my ignore list, and FPs don't drop gear for tanks, at least sin tanks it seems. I've gotten probably 9 drops from all my hms, and as the only inquis on those runs, 7 of them were for dps sorc / sin.

Currently the gear you get just isn't worth the hastle.

Consider yourself lucky. I hvae at least 20 people on my ignore list, and FPs don't drop gear for tanks, at least sin tanks it seems. I've gotten probably 9 drops from all my hms, and as the only inquis on those runs, 7 of them were for dps sorc / sin.

Currently the gear you get just isn't worth the hastle.

You're probably just unlucky with the drops, our shadow tank got geared in one night of flashpoint guildruns, we even had a flashpoint wher there were only shadow tank drops...

Cross Server PVP/FP/OPs will solve nothing as long as all servers have the same tank/dps balance issues.

In fact they would make them worse.

Simple example:

Server A

In queue - 1 Tank, 2 Healer's, 10 DPS

Number of addition Tanks needed to make complete groups - 4

Number of addition Healers needed to make complete groups - 3

Server B

In queue - 2 Tanks, 1 Healer, 10 DPS

Number of addition Tanks needed to make complete groups - 3

Number of addition Healers needed to make complete groups - 4

Server C

In queue - 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 20 DPS

Number of addition Tanks needed to make complete groups - 8

Number of addition Healers needed to make complete groups - 8

Total in queue - 5 Tanks, 5 Healers, 40 DPS

5 groups form with 2 DPS each so - 5 Tanks, - 5 Healers, - 10 DPS

Remaining in queue - 30 DPS

Number of addition Tanks needed to make complete groups - 15

Number of addition Healers needed to make complete groups - 15

DPS queue times just got doubled everywhere, tank and healers become almost guaranteed instant.

I agree with the OP on this. After the DLC hit, I starting running HM FPs at 50 for on my BH tank and was completely geared in 1 day. Me and a friend (DPS) queued and ran all the lvl 50 HMs. He got maybe 2-3 pieces of gear.

Since I've started running my Sniper through the level 50 HM FPs, I've only seen 2 pieces of Cunning gear drop. 1 was a BH earpiece and I was the only Agent in the group. The other was a set of BH legs, and there was myself and 1 other Agent (Operative) in the group. Let the Op have it cuz it was a healing piece, not dps. Everything thing else has all been Warrior tank/dps gear. I even got into a group with 2 Agents and 2 Bounty Hunters, we got nothing but Warrior gear and 1 piece of Inquisitor gear. That's ridiculous. OTOH, I've had guildies say the opposite, where their Juggs are seeing nothing but Agent/BH gear dropping.

There really needs to be more DPS gear dropping and less tank gear, to the proportion so all the DPS can gear at a similar pace as the tanks. One would hope the queue times would level out, with tanks needing to queue as much as everyone else. Or give Tanks/Healers more of an incentive to queue than just the daily rewards. A lockbox with change at a CM item perhaps.

Cross Server PVP/FP/OPs will solve nothing as long as all servers have the same tank/dps balance issues.

This, so much.

Yes, there will be more groups forming at once, and the queues for the few tanks and healers around will definitely pop even faster than they do now. But for the DPS, absolutely nothing will change. Your avarage queue time will remain as long as it used to be.

I could go even a bit further: on my healers and tanks when I do flashpoints, I usually do them a couple times in a row, just to speed up the queue a little for the poor sods that are waiting. Now I absolutely HATE cross-server mechanics, except maybe some server versus server PvP (still, no cross server teams, mind you!). If cross-server mechanics were ever added, I'd simply stop doing flashpoints (or warzones, for that matter) altogeher. Congrats, that's a couple of healers and tanks down, you just increased queuetimes instead of reducing them. And plenty other tanks and healers will stop using LFG as well.

Don't complain about a healer or tank shortage. Roll one yourself. They're both actually pretty FUN roles in this game, unlike about any other MMO I've seen.

The only thing is, by increasing the rate of mats & gear drops for the content, you would make the problem even worse. players would gear even faster. And Tanks would hit the point of making charity gear runs even quicker.

I think the easiest way to fix the problem would be this..

1) Pick 1 or 2 FPs

2) add an additional enrage timer to each of the bosses

3) nerf the boss DPS before the first enrage

This would let groups of 3 dps + healer ~or~ maybe even 4 DPS burn down a HM boss before they require a tank. Tune it so if the DPS play at the best of their ability the bosses can be completed without a tank.

If it were done like that, having a tank would be a luxury for those FPs. This would let DPS & healers continue to gear even if tanks have gotten all their gear. And tanks would still be necessary for all the other endgame content.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.