2.0 Alacrity & Deception PvP

Balalakaz

I use just one alacrity enhancement currently for PvP, which gives me something like 0.87% alacrity.

I've reached the place where I want to be with accuracy, and my crit multiplier is just barely over 70%. At this point it was a decision between another 1.5% multiplier or ~1% alacrity. The multiplier only has any effect 1 out of 5 times for me, while the alacrity affects every action.

The surge would have increased my damage by some 0.3% with an extra enhancement considering the crit rating, while alacrity flat out raises my dps by 0.87%. If I didn't care about dropping below 70% crit multiplier, I'd probably add another alacrity enhancement.

It's unlikely you'll ever use your GCD fast enough to notice the 1% faster GCD. But that's not the point of having alacrity. While you may not notice what having 1% more Force regen does, unless you're constantly sitting at full Force, it's virtually guaranteed that you will do 1% more damage over the long run when you regen 1% more Force.

Lag will destroy this :D

Yeah true, lag is the number one enemy of alacrity, but if I'm dueling outside of a wz or trying to ninja a node, lag is usually minimal.

So, discounting lag, 1% alacrity = 1% more damage.

1% crit < 1% alacrity

Yeah true, lag is the number one enemy of alacrity, but if I'm dueling outside of a wz or trying to ninja a node, lag is usually minimal.

So, discounting lag, 1% alacrity = 1% more damage.

1% crit < 1% alacrity

Lag doesn't matter as long as you're not sitting at 100% Force for extended time, because the amount of Force you have is generally 100% related to how much damage you can/will do so filling it up 1% faster gets you 1% more damage. Deception is relatively hungry on Force so it's not like you have to worry about having too much Force and wasting regen.

It's unlikely you'll ever use your GCD fast enough to notice the 1% faster GCD. But that's not the point of having alacrity. While you may not notice what having 1% more Force regen does, unless you're constantly sitting at full Force, it's virtually guaranteed that you will do 1% more damage over the long run when you regen 1% more Force.

Just to put numbers in perspective, 1% increased force regeneration increases force regeneration from 8.00 to 8.08. A 0.08 force regeneration increase. That will amount to 8 force every 100 secs. Not to mention that you will probably need more than 1 mod/enhancement to reach. For the most part I would prefer surge/power or critic/surge enhancements, because you get more value. In addition, in PvP, there tends to be a lot of down time due to CCs, slows, roots, etc.. so it make sense to get higher damage per hit, because you won't land many hits.

Eh, I have never considered this but there may be something to be said about alacrity vs surge. When a 1% alacrity compared to 1% surge tradeoff is considered, I'd imagine alacrity would give you more dps. I know many people will say BURST BURST BURST but realistically more attacks in a smaller time span is more burst, and crit was nerfed pretty hard in 2.0 anyways so they don't come as often when they aren't recklessness shocks/discharges.

Obviously I wouldn't drop crit for alacrity, but crit is a secondary stat and alacrity is a tertiary so this never occurs.

My curiosity is running wild now about dropping surge for alacrity. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried it?

Edited by JP_Legatus

I don't see how it'd be possible to test alacrity given the relatively small amounts we have. It's not like someone's going to come back and say, 'I got 2% more alacrity and based on my complicated calculations as you can see this log this is the only reason why that guys died, and had I just had 2% more surge he'd have survived with 35 HP and killed me first."

What a regen of 1% or 2% means that after fighting for say 30 seconds running whatever rotation you normally run, intead of having 24 Force at the 30th second you have 25 Force, and this is enough to get another Assassinate off instead of waiting for the next second. That attack done a second earlier may or may not have any significance. Nobody can possibly predict things like that. All you can say is getting an attack off a second earlier has to be better than getting an attack off a second later. The expected benefit is just a DPS increase predicted by alacrity %, but the actual increase you have no idea. Maybe that extra attack did nothing. Maybe that extra attack is what killed the other guy. All you can say is that 1% alacrity has a predicted 1% DPS increase, while 1% surge is obviously less than that, so 1% alacrity is expected to be better, but you cannot say anything on the actual outcome because both stats have way too many other variables that can increase/decrease the actual results.

I tried in PvE, was a dps loss of 200-300, not worth the surge.

That's a shame, but did you have lots of crit on your gear? I run with 0 crit and rely on recklessness for autocrits, and plenty of surge damage is provided in the tree.

I know I could add crit for actual rated play but I want to know what an all power/alacrity setup would put out compared with crit/alacrity, or crit/surge or power/surge, relatively.

Edited by JP_Legatus

Lag doesn't matter as long as you're not sitting at 100% Force for extended time, because the amount of Force you have is generally 100% related to how much damage you can/will do so filling it up 1% faster gets you 1% more damage. Deception is relatively hungry on Force so it's not like you have to worry about having too much Force and wasting regen.

first off, someone please tell me the last time you lost a 1v1 by 1% ? I tend not to get too worked up over discussions that fall within this margin of error - this would be one of them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.