How to value your Subscribers.

Hey gang. Here are some neat little ideas on how to incentivize and grow your subscription base. Constructive feedback appreciated, flames expected:

- Option 1: Increase Cartel Coin grant to offset the removal of story content from the subscription price.

When the game went F2P, BioWare/EA effectively said "we are not going to charge for story content" and replaced the value of the story content with a $5/mo. Cartel Coin grant. Their subsequent decisions to charge subscribers for things like Expansion Packs, the new Cathar Race, etc., de-values the subscription even further. By upping the Cartel Coin grant to 1,000 or even 1,500 per month, these costs could easily be offset and would offer a solid irrefutable benefit for Preferred status players to subscribe.

- Option 2: Make all Cartel Market purchases of "tangible" items (i.e. mounts, armorsets, crystals, etc.) "Bind to Legacy on Equip" for subscribers. Additionally, subscriber Character Legacy Unlocks (i.e. Speeder Piloting, Priority Transport, etc.) now apply to the entire Legacy.

This would incentivize both subscribing, and spending money in the Cartel Market. This would also offset the current price of the Legacy Bound armorsets and weapons at the current Legacy Vendors (i.e. 250k for one piece of chest armor). This could easily replace the 500 Cartel Coin grant.

- Option 3: Offer subscription at $10/mo. without the 500 Cartel Coin grant.

This would give players the option to retain subscription at a fair cost-offset for the fact that BioWare/EA is no longer charging for story content without trying to artificially replace the cost-offset with a Cartel Coin grant.

- Option 4: In addition t to the current 500 Cartel Coin grant, offer subscriber-exclusive Legacy Bound "tangible" (i.e. Armor, weapon, speeder, pet, etc.) items each month. This would give a huge "mental" incentive to subscribers as they now have immediate access to new cool things that Preferred's can't obtain.

I am currently a subscriber and love the game, but I feel that I am being pushed daily to the Preferred-Customer level with each subsequent announcement. As a subscriber, my only incentive is that I do not "lose" anything, but since I am no longer in effect "paying for story content," I have actually lost something, and it was replaced with a Cartel Coin grant (I won't get into the psychology of them calling them "Complimentary Coins", as that's some Marketing Jedi Mind trick right there).

Subscribers can be powerful evangelists for an MMO especially in a Free2Play world. Subscribers are also guaranteed repeat income that does not rely on how much new stuff comes out in the Marketplace each month. I'm deeply saddened that the Cathar Race won't be available as part of the subscription fee and can only hope that BioWare/EA can see how this is affecting their player base and adjust accordingly. I want to be an evangelist for this game, because I feel it's under-credited in the MMO landscape, but BioWare/EA is making it more and more difficult for me to convince my friends that a subscription is worth it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey gang. Here are some neat little ideas on how to incentivize and grow your subscription base. Constructive feedback appreciated, flames expected:

- Option 1: Increase Cartel Coin grant to offset the removal of story content from the subscription price.

When the game went F2P, BioWare/EA effectively said "we are not going to charge for story content" and replaced the value of the story content with a $5/mo. Cartel Coin grant. Their subsequent decisions to charge subscribers for things like Expansion Packs, the new Cathar Race, etc., de-values the subscription even further. By upping the Cartel Coin grant to 1,000 or even 1,500 per month, these costs could easily be offset and would offer a solid irrefutable benefit for Preferred status players to subscribe.

I did not find the rest of your post worth reading after I got this far. A couple of facts that you seem to be missing are:

1. Cathar is a character model, not story.
  2. Expansions are not free. Game updates are.

Edited by TheBBP

I did not find the rest of your post worth reading after I got this far. A couple of facts that you seem to be missing are:

1. Cathar is a character model, not story.
  2. Expansions are not free. Game updates are.

Hey thanks for the feedback. :)

It's nice to want things.

Isn't it? I have to say, if I were BioWare, and read the comments like these... I'd say "meh, screw 'em" too. LOL... so I guess in retrospect, if this is the kind of playerbase they have, I wouldn't care either.

Cathar are not story content. The game does not change because you are not a Blue guy, but a Cat guy. It's the same story for every race.

For Cather who knows.

As of right now conversation change depending on race and sex. Very noticeable leveling a human vs alien as Imp. There is whole side conversation for being a Chiss IA then any other on race on Hoth. You missed it spamming spacebar.

For Cather who knows.

As of right now conversation change depending on race and sex. Very noticeable leveling a human vs alien as Imp. There is whole side conversation for being a Chiss IA then any other on race on Hoth. You missed it spamming spacebar.

Multiple Chiss-convo's actually... so yes, if BioWare records one single additional line of dialogue referencing the fact you are Cathar, the whole "not story" argument is voided. However, if they don't ever reference it... then it's just like a weird furry armor set.

For Cather who knows.

The only thing I can think that will change is that Cathar Jedi on Tython will be surprised you didn't eat the baby Fleshraider yourself.

Seriously, I think he ate the baby. >.>

The only thing I can think that will change is that Cathar Jedi on Tython will be surprised you didn't eat the baby Fleshraider yourself.

But just out of curiosity... why wouldn't you want to see subscribers gain additional benefit? Is there an actual reason or are you just being internet-y and being contrary out of boredom? If the latter, I understand, sometimes that's fun, but is there a legit reason you think additional benefits for subscribers is a bad thing?

Multiple Chiss-convo's actually... so yes, if BioWare records one single additional line of dialogue referencing the fact you are Cathar, the whole "not story" argument is voided. However, if they don't ever reference it... then it's just like a weird furry armor set.

Chiss Imperial Agents are the exception, actually. There aren't really any species specific dialogue beyond that. And as many people have pointed out in past discussions with screen shots, the conversations currently aren't particularly friendly towards the legacy unlocked species options, embarrassingly so (especially with all the Chiss jokes on the republic side)

Isn't it? I have to say, if I were BioWare, and read the comments like these... I'd say "meh, screw 'em" too. LOL... so I guess in retrospect, if this is the kind of playerbase they have, I wouldn't care either.

Your sub value increases with each new update im my opinion. Compare your sub now to when it the game first began.

Chiss Imperial Agents are the exception, actually. There aren't really any species specific dialogue beyond that. And as many people have pointed out in past discussions with screen shots, the conversations currently aren't particularly friendly towards the legacy unlocked species options, embarrassingly so (especially with all the Chiss jokes on the republic side)

I believe there are Twi'lek ones as well. But that's a bit off-topic.

this isnt a "how to value my customers" thread,

this is a "i want more stuff that i think im entitled to"

....which you are not.

please note, i hate using the word "entitle" and it suffixes as well, but damn did the OP read that way.

this isnt a "how to value my customers" thread,

this is a "i want more stuff that i think im entitled to"

....which you are not.

please note, i hate using the word "entitle" and it suffixes as well, but damn did the OP read that way.

So... just to clarify, you think additional benefits to subscribers is a BAD thing... right?

Imp Belsavis I think is going to be interesting for Cather.

When you free the Cather leader the Rep lock up because he want to leave the Rep .

Imp Taris.

When you face off against the Cather Leader and his talking to the Cather people on the Holo.

Ord Mantell might have some fun.

But just out of curiosity... why wouldn't you want to see subscribers gain additional benefit? Is there an actual reason or are you just being internet-y and being contrary out of boredom? If the latter, I understand, sometimes that's fun, but is there a legit reason you think additional benefits for subscribers is a bad thing?

Because providing additional perks to being a subscriber tends to lead to swelled heads and an undeserved sense of importance. "I pay fifteen dollars, so my opinion on things far outstrips those lowly freebies."

We should be one Gamer, united under the love of the game. Casual, Hardcore, Subscriber, Free Player. Labels created by insecure people looking to find some semblance of superiority over their fellow man.

Things were a lot simpler when Gamers just gamed.

:)

Imp Belsavis I think is going to be interesting for Cather.

When you free the Cather leader the Rep lock up because he want to leave the Rep .

Imp Taris.

When you face off against the Cather Leader and his talking to the Cather people on the Holo.

Ord Mantell might have some fun.

Fair point. Maybe Arc will lay off the Trooper if they're a fellow Cathar.

But knowing his character, prolly not. >.>

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

Because providing additional perks to being a subscriber tends to lead to swelled heads and an undeserved sense of importance. "I pay fifteen dollars, so my opinion on things far outstrips those lowly freebies."

We should be one Gamer, united under the love of the game. Casual, Hardcore, Subscriber, Free Player. Labels created by insecure people looking to find some semblance of superiority over their fellow man.

Things were a lot simpler when Gamers just gamed.

:)

I think it has less to do with superiority than you think it does... at least for me anyway. I don't feel "entitled" as much as I feel "bait and switched." The whole "If you don't like it, just go preferred" thing is becoming more and more valid, and that's a sad thing. I want to see this game succeed. So in effect, you could say I'm subbed because of the "love of the game."

I'm sorry if I came off as entitled, because the point of the post was how to bring in MORE subscribers, as well as value the current ones... not to simply help current subs feel better about themselves.

I think it has less to do with superiority than you think it does... at least for me anyway. I don't feel "entitled" as much as I feel "bait and switched." The whole "If you don't like it, just go preferred" thing is becoming more and more valid, and that's a sad thing. I want to see this game succeed. So in effect, you could say I'm subbed because of the "love of the game."

I'm sorry if I came off as entitled, because the point of the post was how to bring in MORE subscribers, as well as value the current ones... not to simply help current subs feel better about themselves.

I'm certain you have good intent. It's everyone else I'm weary of.

But if we do not highlight those with good intent, and assume everyone is just here to troll, then we all lose. Again, I LOVE this game. I play it daily, I'm subbed, and I buy Cartel Coins. I want to be able to convince my friends to not only play it, but subscribe as well. I want to be that evangelist for this game, but decisions like charging subscribers for a new race, make it difficult... I have to be honest with my friends and say "sure you can pay $15 to make the game more convenient and a little easier, but you will still have to pay for the new cool stuff as it comes out." When what I want to say is: "You definitely want to sub, you get all the new stuff as soon as it's available and it makes the game more enjoyable overall."

So... just to clarify, you think additional benefits to subscribers is a BAD thing... right?

Of course not, I would love it if my bank gave me 30% interest because I'm a valued customer! The thing is you have to understand that there are 2 sides to this. You want as much free stuff as you can get and Bioware has to make money.

My comment may have been flippant but if you've spent any time reading dev comments they've been very clear. Cosmetic items will mostly be Cartel Market, content will come with regular free updates. Expansions such as Makeb are outliers, almost all MMOs, free or otherwise, charge for expansions.

I think you mean "wary" which means "cautious". "Weary" means "tired". Unless you're tired of everyone in which case carry on.

Edited by DaRoamer

Of course not, I would love it if my bank gave me 30% interest because I'm a valued customer! The thing is you have to understand that there are 2 sides to this. You want as much free stuff as you can get and Bioware has to make money.

My comment may have been flippant but if you've spent any time reading dev comments they've been very clear. Cosmetic items will mostly be Cartel Market, content will come with regular free updates. Expansions such as Makeb are outliers, almost all MMOs, free or otherwise, charge for expansions.

"You want as much free stuff as you can get and Bioware has to make money."

My point is a way for them to make MORE money. All of those options, being subscriber only, involve them not losing a dime. It's a net-gain all around, for the player, for the company, etc. Other games are successfully using cosmetic content as a way to entice players TO subscribe. They say story content will never be in the Cartel Market, but they also say that story content is entirely available to F2P players, so what a subscription nets you is convenience, and nothing more. Again, it's like they are pushing people AWAY from the subscription option.

"You want as much free stuff as you can get and Bioware has to make money."

My point is a way for them to make MORE money. All of those options, being subscriber only, involve them not losing a dime. It's a net-gain all around, for the player, for the company, etc. Other games are successfully using cosmetic content as a way to entice players TO subscribe. They say story content will never be in the Cartel Market, but they also say that story content is entirely available to F2P players, so what a subscription nets you is convenience, and nothing more. Again, it's like they are pushing people AWAY from the subscription option.

You want them to lower your sub price to $10 or give you 1500 coins a month? I don't see how that is making them more money.

The only thing I agree with you on is I think cartel armour should be bind on legacy.

Though you're wrong about story content. They said the 1-50 story content was free, which is was. F2Pers had to pay for stuff like Section X and HK-51 which we got for free.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.