Combat Sentinel PVP Video Guide

Check out my How To: Combat PVP Guide and Rotation on http://www.youtube.com/user/Mavengamingstream

You can also check out my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/mavengaming

Granted this is my first PVP video guide, however I promise it is well informed. Of course everyone has their own opinions and I am always looking to improve so please don't be shy!ng[/url]

Edited by ARockLobzta

• 2 weeks later...

I like your Combat guide. Thanks for sharing it. I've been away from the game for a while so it was nice to get up to speed on the new changes in 2.0. I think Combat Sentinels are still good, but the rotation feels clunky right now, not knowing when things are going to proc.

As for your pvp videos, thanks for sharing those as well. You do good damage as a Sentinel and your team definitely knows what it's doing. I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism though...

1) Situational awareness. From your videos it seems like you play with blinders on, with tunnel vision. The typical dps hero. Things like being a sitting duck out in the open at mid in Hypergate when your team is at the pylon and a new wave of enemies are going to arrive any second, then acting surprised when they jump your butt, and then being stubborn about it and instead of Awing and slipping away you stay and feed them an easy kill. Things like that are really inexcusable IMO. It seems like you take your team for granted that they will handle the objectives and heal you and all you have to do is DPS whoever is in front of you. You could help your team out so much more by being aware of what's going on around you.

2) Sloppy focus fire. While Sentinels are quite powerful and can often take down opponents on their own, it's still better to team up and burn people down. It seems like sometimes you tend to attack whoever is closest to you, whoever is visible within your blinders, instead of helping your teammates.

3) Lack of support for teammates. Different from focus fire, what I mean is helping teammates via stuns, snares and debuffs. In your Combat Sentinel guide you touted the importance of Pacify, yet in actual warzones you almost never used it. I remember one particular instance where you had teammates complaining about a gunslinger owning them and you could have easily thrown Pacify on him to save your teammate from a ton of damage yet you didn't. Awe is on a short cooldown and can be used quite frequently, but you hardly ever use that either. When your team is outnumbered or you need to handle an objective, why not throw out an Awe? Or would it mess up your dps rotation too much? :rolleyes: And if a dps is chasing one of your teammates, you can easily saber throw them in place to buy them some time and either help them or swap back to your target. It's a good thing to be able to switch targets and use your abilities to their fullest...

4) Not knowing your enemy. Several times you seemed to not know what happened during the fights. For example, how did that shadow knock you down? Well shadow tanks can do that out of stealth and fairly often at that. It's probably a waste to try to Master Strike one unless they are stunned already or they are really bad. Being familiar with all the classes and specs so you know what to expect and can counter correctly will help improve your dps more than perfecting a rotation will, IMO.

5) A little humility goes a long way. You can be a little over-the-top and obnoxious with your gloating during warzones. Your team doesn't need to know every time you land a crit on someone ;) Realize the fact that you do so much damage is in large part possible by the great teamwork of your team and not necessarily because of your individual skill. And besides, as a dps it's your job to do damage. I didn't hear your healers bragging about how they saved some idiot dps who over-extended himself from certain death...

Ok, I'm sorry if that came off as too harsh. It's really meant to be constructive and not hateful. You remind me a lot of an old guildmate of mine. He was an above average dps who was completely full of himself. Please don't be that guy!

I like your Combat guide. Thanks for sharing it. I've been away from the game for a while so it was nice to get up to speed on the new changes in 2.0. I think Combat Sentinels are still good, but the rotation feels clunky right now, not knowing when things are going to proc.

As for your pvp videos, thanks for sharing those as well. You do good damage as a Sentinel and your team definitely knows what it's doing. I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism though...

1) Situational awareness. From your videos it seems like you play with blinders on, with tunnel vision. The typical dps hero. Things like being a sitting duck out in the open at mid in Hypergate when your team is at the pylon and a new wave of enemies are going to arrive any second, then acting surprised when they jump your butt, and then being stubborn about it and instead of Awing and slipping away you stay and feed them an easy kill. Things like that are really inexcusable IMO. It seems like you take your team for granted that they will handle the objectives and heal you and all you have to do is DPS whoever is in front of you. You could help your team out so much more by being aware of what's going on around you.

2) Sloppy focus fire. While Sentinels are quite powerful and can often take down opponents on their own, it's still better to team up and burn people down. It seems like sometimes you tend to attack whoever is closest to you, whoever is visible within your blinders, instead of helping your teammates.

3) Lack of support for teammates. Different from focus fire, what I mean is helping teammates via stuns, snares and debuffs. In your Combat Sentinel guide you touted the importance of Pacify, yet in actual warzones you almost never used it. I remember one particular instance where you had teammates complaining about a gunslinger owning them and you could have easily thrown Pacify on him to save your teammate from a ton of damage yet you didn't. Awe is on a short cooldown and can be used quite frequently, but you hardly ever use that either. When your team is outnumbered or you need to handle an objective, why not throw out an Awe? Or would it mess up your dps rotation too much? :rolleyes: And if a dps is chasing one of your teammates, you can easily saber throw them in place to buy them some time and either help them or swap back to your target. It's a good thing to be able to switch targets and use your abilities to their fullest...

4) Not knowing your enemy. Several times you seemed to not know what happened during the fights. For example, how did that shadow knock you down? Well shadow tanks can do that out of stealth and fairly often at that. It's probably a waste to try to Master Strike one unless they are stunned already or they are really bad. Being familiar with all the classes and specs so you know what to expect and can counter correctly will help improve your dps more than perfecting a rotation will, IMO.

5) A little humility goes a long way. You can be a little over-the-top and obnoxious with your gloating during warzones. Your team doesn't need to know every time you land a crit on someone ;) Realize the fact that you do so much damage is in large part possible by the great teamwork of your team and not necessarily because of your individual skill. And besides, as a dps it's your job to do damage. I didn't hear your healers bragging about how they saved some idiot dps who over-extended himself from certain death...

Ok, I'm sorry if that came off as too harsh. It's really meant to be constructive and not hateful. You remind me a lot of an old guildmate of mine. He was an above average dps who was completely full of himself. Please don't be that guy!

1) Very good advice. Often times I am streaming and not playing with a team so I will go looking for 1v1 2v1 fights for entertainment value. However you are correct, I do often times do that with the idea that my team will finish their objective without my help. I will post rated video footage soon and you will notice a big difference on my teamwork.

2) As a Combat Sentinel, it is your priority to focus on a healer class whenever your team does not need you focusing on another target. The main reason why I go the 1v1 and not team focus route is 1) again for entertainment value for the viewers and 2) because if everyone focus targets a healer, that healer will then be guarded, focused healed etc. However, when I cam the only one focusing on healers, I often not only kill them myself but keep them distracted and keep them healing each other instead of their DPS.

3) Again when I am doing rateds and playing with a full team, I operate differently then when in a pug or a group of 3-4. I often save those abilities for 1v1 2v1 fights when I need them the most. However in a full team fight, I will prioritize keeping my healers alive and focusing their healers so I will use those abilities more frequently on targets I am not currently fighting.

4) Insta cast abilities are very hard to pick up on during a fight, especial when coming out of stealth. I am familiar with most casting abilities and often times can negate/counter those abilities. But you are correct, one of my weaknesses is not knowing the full capabilities of all classes and is something I will continue to improve on.

5) Most of the chatting you hear me doing is not going to my teammates but just to the stream. All the videos I currently have on my YouTube channel are highlights from the stream so yes I will come off as obnoxious. Most of it done for entertainment value and because that is also just a part of my personality. I am typically much quieter during concentrated team fighting.

Overall thanks for the advice and criticism. It will only help me to improve my game play, my videos and my stream.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.