The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Two other ones came to my mind.

PuG for Kaon HM, we get a shadow tank, who doesn't speak English well and is not a tank of course, but a dps. Also not very well geared for PvE, since he was mostly in PvP gear. With big troubles we somehow manage to get past everything and then we come to that place just before the end, where a shadow usually CCs a mob so the group can get past without pulling. Our "tank" didn't know how to CC, didn't know he could stealth so we tried to explain it to him. He managed to stealth but he made some other move instead of CCing and pulled. In the end we finished the FP, though it took way more than it should've.

The other one involves a TfB SM PuG, where we asked for people on the fleet. We also asked multiple times whether everyone knew tactics and everyone said they do. It all went fine till the third boss, where one dps started scavenging the dead droids when all the dps should've gone to the cores. We wiped of course. (He made other mistakes, like not reapplying the channel on deactivating the shield.) After explaining to him that scavenging is not really a good idea when everyone should dps the cores we managed to do it.

We asked then again if he knew tactics for next bosses and he said yes. At the 5th boss second phase he had no idea of course what to do, he followed the tank for a while, he stayed with the healers and things like that. We were overgeared so we actually managed to beat the fight, and at the end someone asked our dps: "First time?" He said yes...

Edited by TheDuge

The other one involves a TfB SM PuG, where we asked for people on the fleet. We also asked multiple times whether everyone knew tactics and everyone said they do. It all went fine till the third boss, where one dps started scavenging the dead droids when all the dps should've gone to the cores. We wiped of course. (He made other mistakes, like not reapplying the channel on deactivating the shield.) After explaining to him that scavenging is not really a good idea when everyone should dps the cores we managed to do it.

We asked then again if he knew tactics for next bosses and he said yes. At the 5th boss second phase he had no idea of course what to do, he followed the tank for a while, he stayed with the healers and things like that. We were overgeared so we actually managed to beat the fight, and at the end someone asked our dps: "First time?" He said yes...

This story just reminded me of something - never ask if this is somebody's first time. Since I, for example, can do the fight more than once and still not remember the tactics. It takes usually several runs to actually memorize it. I mean without going to memorize some guide or something.

Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

There is no major issue with tanking as a dps spec if you can hold agro.

P.S. HM FP's are incredibly easy to tank.

Listing for a role you're not trained and geared for is forcing team mates (that have been waiting much longer, if you listed as tank although you shouldnt have) to compensate for your impatience. No can do.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

A few instances so far.

1. A Sage who was queued for LI HM as a DPS despite being in Heal-Spec. We made it through alright, but it was still a bloody nuisance.

2. Vanguard Tank in story-mode Mando Raiders who was in, quite honestly, appalling gear even for that level. He had the level 10 Shield Generator from Esseles with no upgrades, plenty of level 20-24 blues and greens, and some strength in one of his implants. He later quit due to continuously dying - this was before the Boarding Party - forcing the rest of the group to either wait or continue by ourselves. I take no shame in mentioning that I did manage to help the others through with our healer's Qyzen tanking.

3. Juggernaut Tank in story-mode Athiss. Again, in quite bad gear for his level - he proudly wore the Black Talon Operative's coat, still with all its Cunning stats, and needed on a Cunning chest that dropped halfway through - thankfully, our group's healer received it instead. He also refused to Taunt, leading the Beast of Vodal Kressh to continuously chase me - a sniper at this time - around unrelentingly. He then later criticised our really quite put-upon healer - who I felt really sorry for - for not doing enough healing as she was taking the brunt of the Prophet's attacks, for the same reason as above. After wiping on that boss fight, he seemed prepared to go even though all members of our group weren't by the entrance when he was. Thankfully, we did end up winning, although not without a brief "Tanking 101" session beforehand.

4. Yet another Vanguard tank on Mando Raiders, this time 55 HM. This guy seemed not to know the meaning of "This fight is going badly, so there must be something wrong with how it's running or how it's being done"; we wiped twice on Varad and his turrets on the very first stage. Me, the healer and the other DPS all quit at this point, leaving him to quite literally reform the group using the Group Finder. When I checked the rota forty-five minutes later, he was still in there, so I can only assume that the same issues kept happening and he just refused to give in.

5. Upon queuing and entering a Mando Raiders 55 HM, I was immediately kicked from my group. The reason? The leader simply didn't like the guild that I was in - or at least that was the reason he gave. I didn't mind in the slightest - heck, it's not as if I can defend myself (I only take issue when somebody insults/ignores/kicks me for something that I could have, very easily, defended myself for) for his own personal feelings about a specific guild - but it was rather annoying nonetheless. Quite what he'd have done if I was queued with a fellow guild-mate, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Not exactly the most "weird" people one could meet in a Group Finder in comparison, I suppose, but still people who I wouldn't willingly queue with again.

Well, as far as general weirdness goes, Guardians and Juggernauts in Aim gear are my personal favorites. "Bcuz it haz mor armor lol". Oh, and they tank in Shii-Cho. Fun times.

Thankfully, there are much fewer of them at higher levels than at lower levels.

But I've also queued with Guardians and threat management for them even in 2.0 is horrible.

Then they fail, Guardian tanking is very VERY easy in 2.0, a lot better snap threat generation than VGs, hell just saber reflect gives me 9k threat on everything in the pull plus the threat on reflected attacks. AoE can still be tricky but a few Smashes and target switching do the trick pretty well. Hardly ever even touch my taunts outside of Ops. I even forgot to reactivate Soresu once and still kept threat until I got to the Dread Guards and wondered why I can't guard. Healer was just like, ye you were a bit squishier =D

As to OP

Pre 2.0 EV, someone asks a for a break, so I'm bored and inspect the other healer and he is in almost full Supercommando gear. I ask why, not being a dick about it just asking and as it was a guild run I instantly get a responses from his guildies telling me to back off and that he apparently mostly does DPS, which doesn't explain the tank ear. I also point out the endurance heavy mods and he mumbles something about needing the HP to survive. As this was on Soa and there were no issues so far I was like w/e but it was still funny.

2.0 EV, just a normal pug comm run, no problems until Soa when most of the people decide to go the wrong way on platforms leaving only me (tank) a (capable) healer and a DPS. In a ood effort we break all the MTs and get Soa down to 3% but then I get MT and healer gets aggro from enraged Soa and dies so we /stuck it.

Transcendence on cooldown always bewilders me

Defence buff I guess. I use it a lot to run between mob groups and when I know that the adds will die too fast for me to really get any use out of Combat Zen.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Whenever I come across one of those people also mentioned in this thread - terribly undergeared with evidently no idea about the concept of mods etc., after I finish the FP with or without them I take the time to whisper them and explain how to fix their problem. Just recently I've met one of these guys again about a week after I talked to him and he already had like 8k more hp and 60+ mods on him. What I wanted to say by all of this? That's for everybody to figure out on your own.

BlackHole, Imperial side Torvix run. 55 juggernaut is tanking, I'm the healer. Inspected the tank, and in relic slot he has MatrixmCube with +12 aim and 8 endurance. I asked him about it, and he tells me that he doesn't know how the relics work and how to properly choose one and he likes the cube, because he made it himself. Told him a bit about relics, pointed to class/role forums, and he got his lesson.

And we done Torvix without problems.... Mostly because my sorc was in full crafted 66, and we got 55 Marauder, and because its easy HC

But... That brings me to the point of lack of some tutorials in game. If people don't come to forums, they are not taught about relics, stats and such. Don't know what Bioware should do, but I believe there should be some kind of class teaching early quests with large on screen explanation of stats, rotation, relics, gearing. Because me, and lot of people here are MMO veterans, we know the trinity, we can guess how to gear up, tank, heal and DPS. But lots of people are fresh to MMO, and if they don't get to guild, they have no idea what to do (and vitriol on general forums / fleet) may turn them away from looking for more information about how to play

Ats how we end up with such threads. And yes, I know some people are just stupid and they won't learn , but some of the "weird people" are weird, because no one taught them, and with some proper education they can turn into good players.

But... That brings me to the point of lack of some tutorials in game. If people don't come to forums, they are not taught about relics, stats and such. Don't know what Bioware should do, but I believe there should be some kind of class teaching early quests with large on screen explanation of stats, rotation, relics, gearing.

The majority of people who are described in this thread don't care about anything a tutorial has to teach them, and those who do care don't need the tutorial.

Also there is a New Player Guide with video tutorials, an Elder Game Guide, and a comprehensive Game Manual.

The information is readily available, some people just don't bother browsing it.

Edited by Qvasar

The majority of people who are described in this thread don't care about anything a tutorial has to teach them, and those who do care don't need the tutorial.

Also there is a New Player Guide with video tutorials, an Elder Game Guide, and a comprehensive Game Manual.

The information is readily available, some people just don't bother browsing it.

That's not true. When I registered to the game, I wanted to play it, not to read websites (probably just like 99% of people). Yes, I found all information later, but it would be helpful to have proper tutorials in the game that would give me that information sooner. I know I wouldn't skip them. Maybe some would, but that doesn't mean they would be useless. Technically, it's my fault I didn't find all info sooner, but in reality, I'm not the one who should adapt to the needs of the other side (game, it's devs) as I'm not the one getting paid for this.

That's not true. When I registered to the game, I wanted to play it, not to read websites (probably just like 99% of people). Yes, I found all information later, but it would be helpful to have proper tutorials in the game that would give me that information sooner. I know I wouldn't skip them. Maybe some would, but that doesn't mean they would be useless. Technically, it's my fault I didn't find all info sooner, but in reality, I'm not the one who should adapt to the needs of the other side (game, it's devs) as I'm not the one getting paid for this.

What's with people who are so emotionally against doing some light reading?

Ok i guess group finder FP's and Story Mode ops it's fine to just learn those in game. And yes I pug SM ops all the time and just chat out the instructions. Some people might be too lazy to type them out in game and i understand why some of the newer players and people who play the game casually can be frustrated by this attitude.

p.s. but if you are doing HM Operations, THOSE warrant at least some prior reading! They are gear checks as well. Especially for the DPS.

(Talking about PUGS mainly. Last week i pugged 8-man HM TFB and got stuck at Op IX because DPS couldn't get down cores)

Edited by paowee

Not really a weird group finder group but more like a guild run PuG, I missed out on my guilds classic op runs for the weekly comms due to IRL issues and so pugged a HM EV run last night and my god it was the strangest run I've ever done, I was on my scoundrel DPS'ing (and she's normally heal spec) since they just needed one DPS and the group I get is a full guild run with two tanks, four healers and my DPSing with a sentinel who had NEVER heard of using Zen, all he ever used was trancendense, we managed to clear it but even with two tanks and four healers there were 7 deaths due to not enough healing going out (thank goodness for being able to heal myself).

It was by far the most oddest run I've ever done but strangely entertaining if only because I had never run with a group as clueless as they were, every pull apparently had to be discussed on mumble about what to do.

One today. Oh my.

I am a 54 Guardian specced for tanking. So we go in and everyone says the usual "hi how's it going," etc. All politeness and smiles. Then we go in and the Sentinel, who is 55 (and, admittedly, better geared), seems like he is trying to tank everything. He leaps in before I can even say who to CC and who to attack; he just chooses the target and lets fly before even letting me get in a move. Luckily, the healer and other DPS were also 55, so we had no wipes...

...And then we reached the turret. The Sentinel immediately says "Tank takes the turret." We kill the mob near the turret, but before I can even finish off that mob, the Sentinel (who had *just* said for me to take the turret) gets in the turret. We're doing pretty good until I get launched into a fire and die. Unfortunately I am still holding aggro since I revived before the fight was over. I go back, the whole time with enemies dying around the other 3.

We finish without further death, and continue. Then we get to the room with the infected beings running everywhere. We aggro big time. Now we wipe. I die, revive, someone else dies and revives, and so does another. By the time all is said and done, we've all died 2 or 3 times. From then on everything went good...but it was bad. The sad thing is the Sentinel was so nice about it. After the fight with the giant Rakghoul I said "can you let me go first?" He said he would. But he never did. :p

The wierdest people I grouped with wer ein Taral V FP

We all joined in, Im specced tank jedi Guardian and well they seemed to want to do the FP too fast I kept trying to catch up and do my job as a tank, the weirdest moments were in the chat.

They kept saying things like: "I hate this game's music"

or other: "I hate this boss"

or : "I hate this or that"

After the run was over left without saying anything

Edited by ZahirS

was in BT FP NM as a level 12, someone was asking the team to skip the conversations, just before the introduction of the droid where 1 other player was not cooperating, i was vote kicked for some reason and booted out moments later. i had no idea why. but besides that highly questionable use of the vote kick system. I joined another FP and got on with it.

sometimes i run across the odd person who forgets that they should be dealing with the sabotage droid and heads for the elevator in the middle. others fail to realize the bonus droid before Yadira and wonder off to kill their own target leaving me to pick up the pieces. yeah, so some things i have seen are silly others are like a bad embarassing memory that should be be forgotten.

was in BT FP NM as a level 12, someone was asking the team to skip the conversations, just before the introduction of the droid where 1 other player was not cooperating, i was vote kicked for some reason and booted out moments later. i had no idea why. but besides that highly questionable use of the vote kick system. I joined another FP and got on with it.

I had the same handling in the Esseless (first republic flashpoint), after a couple of "skip" and "spacebar" post in the chat, I was vote kicked for watching the story... in the story mode. Not much else to do than /ignore those rude people.

I ran this flashpoint again, that time just one player was flooding the chat with angry "SKIP". We told him we're going to watch the story but he kept flooding the chat. He told he us has a real life and no time to spend at watching the cutscenes. Ironically he was a free player without the "Speed" buff, while we all had, and we had to wait him after each run in the corridor. So I suggested him he could save precious minutes of his life by spending few bucks to become privileged. More and more angry since we continued to watch the story, he started to reset the chat and not picking a choice, making the whole thing even longer for himself. Apparently the other players were unfamiliar with the vote kick system, but we managed to boot him out after a few tries and finished the flashpoint without further incidents.

I had the same handling in the Esseless (first republic flashpoint), after a couple of "skip" and "spacebar" post in the chat, I was vote kicked for watching the story... in the story mode. Not much else to do than /ignore those rude people.

I think the player you quoted, was skipping the cutscenes and oddly booted.

BT and Esseles are the only fp's I write in the fleets general chat to form a group.

This is for two reasons:

1. It's a h2+ and easily doable with two players

2. I specify that I want to skip the conversations (no other fp has a big enough amount of conversation for me to care about skipping)

I went into TFB SM a week ago with 2 other PUGs and 5 members of a certain guild on the Harbinger. Everyone needed Arkanian gear still.

Took down the ***** queen and the agitated guards with no problem. Then we got to Operator dix. Spent 10 minutes figuring out who gets what color, and I stood there not changing any colors for that duration. To be continued.....

Right now. Wipe x3. I was wondering why. Till the 5 members of that certain guild told everybody "please fail the purple phase, since 2.0 this is exactly like hardmode"......

Uhm. Yeah. No.

I played along till we wiped twice more, then I opened my mouth, told em to play my tactics, and I'm not bragging :p Was told again: "No we can't make it, we have to fail purple phase this is like hard mode now since 2.0". Anyway, after like 5 minutes of talking about the subject, they went for my tactics (hooray) and we beat the encounter.. Woopteedoo. Next thing the 5 members of the guild leaves with "thanks all see ya!". Turned out they went for the weekly instead through groupfinder, skipping Ultimate comms and all that. I slapped my forehead so hard....

Maybe he felt like there's no need for any tactics on trash. I wouldn't be so bold to do that in ops, but in FPs, when I know it will make zero difference, I'll pull before tank without thinking twice.

i don't heal this kind of dps and i don't tank pulls open by others. no rant no insults no leaving the group. they leave after they die again and again.

best things for me:

one was an op dps spamming just his main attack and frag grenade..maybe a lover of realism..

and the big find H4 on hoth and the two area4 the dps were two marauders with one in cunning, aim and willpower gear and he was better than the other.

again on dps roling tank:

when you have a good healer i think you don't realize how fast your health goes down and how big is the effort in human and ingame resources for the said healer to keep you alive.

Edited by JouerTue
edit

i don't heal this kind of dps and i don't tank pulls open by others. no rant no insults no leaving the group. they leave after they die again and again.

best things for me:

one was an op dps spamming just his main attack and frag grenade..maybe a lover of realism..

and the big find H4 on hoth and the two area4 the dps were two marauders with one in cunning, aim and willpower gear and he was better than the other.

again on dps roling tank:

when you have a good healer i think you don't realize how fast your health goes down and how big is the effort in human and ingame resources for the said healer to keep you alive.

Do whatever you want, I can say I never had any problem with healers or tanks in my group, not a single word, not a single leave. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. As I said I'm talking about mobs where I know it makes zero difference for the group. Mobs that are mostly dead before they can reach me.

Do whatever you want, I can say I never had any problem with healers or tanks in my group, not a single word, not a single leave. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. As I said I'm talking about mobs where I know it makes zero difference for the group. Mobs that are mostly dead before they can reach me.

At least when I'm tanking and someone does this, I just run after them aoe taunting when they pull everything and /facepalm in my mind. I don't actually say anything unless they cause wipes. Same with my healers, if I can keep everyone up easily, I won't say anything, even though it might annoy me.

There's a differerence between desirable behaviour and tolerable behaviour. And unless it becomes intolerable behaviour, I at least don't say anything. Maybe I'm the only one who does that, or maybe I'm not.

I made it through SM TFB using group finder last night. We one shot the first two bosses, but operator 9 gave us a bit of trouble. We had a token wipe, where everyone was just getting a feel for the fight and mechanics, to be expected.

Our next try took us to yellow phase almost flawlessly. Then the Sorc healer who was supposed to go to the middle completely spaced out. We typed directions into ops chat in caps, whispered him where to go, even had the tank try kiting him into the middle. We even had another Sorc extricate him into the middle, which he promptly force sped out of, I guess thinking it was a fight mechanic to run out of. We cleared the fight 2 pulls later.

The tank dictates the pace. Don't like it? Enjoy queueing for another hour.

Me, I'm a slow player. As a healer, too.

If I come too late - and I always have to write that I'm a slow player ! - when battle is already on, things tend to become dangerous.

If the tank wants a faster healer, then he'd have to say so.

At least when I'm tanking and someone does this, I just run after them aoe taunting when they pull everything and /facepalm in my mind. I don't actually say anything unless they cause wipes. Same with my healers, if I can keep everyone up easily, I won't say anything, even though it might annoy me.

There's a differerence between desirable behaviour and tolerable behaviour. And unless it becomes intolerable behaviour, I at least don't say anything. Maybe I'm the only one who does that, or maybe I'm not.

same here. I just ignore them so that I never have to group with them again. I know I should say something, but more often than not, dps like that means i have no time to say anything without contributing to a wipe. and sometimes they have gotten me too annoyed to say anything.