Telekinetic Throw: Underwhelming

Uruare

Mechanically, its fine. Appearance wise?

Probably an old canard of a complaint/observation, but its one broom animation away from being vigorously sweeping dirt at someone. Heck, if we got a broom animation, at least that'd be funny.

Proposed change: Animate it so that crates, pipes and heavy-looking junk converge on the target. Make it sound ouch-y. Wet, meaty smacks on humanoids, crunching metal-on-metal on droids.

You can do it, Bioware. You have the technology. You can rebuild this.

As it is, its just...the most amazingly boring thing ever. Compared to the crackle and flare of force lightning, its just...

Someone approved this?

I don't even.

I can't.

It's just --

*sigh*

Edited by Uruare

Honestly, just switch the names of Telekinetic Throw and Project around. Problem solved.

I actually like the graphic of Telekinetic Throw but you just need to use a little imagination, ever thrown a skipping stone at someone - it hurts. Those rocks, while small pixels, are about as equal to golf balls. They're bound to hurt. That being said , the graphic fits Project more while current Project looks like a move that would utilize the throwing of an object via telekinesis.

Maybe it was just a pet peeve but I always looked at those two skills and wondered if they should have been just reversed.

Honestly, just switch the names of Telekinetic Throw and Project around. Problem solved.

I actually like the graphic of Telekinetic Throw but you just need to use a little imagination, ever thrown a skipping stone at someone - it hurts. Those rocks, while small pixels, are about as equal to golf balls. They're bound to hurt. That being said , the graphic fits Project more while current Project looks like a move that would utilize the throwing of an object via telekinesis.

Maybe it was just a pet peeve but I always looked at those two skills and wondered if they should have been just reversed.

Same with Mercenaries healing abilities :p ... they have one heal called "Rapid Scan" and one heal called "Heal Scan". Ironically, the "Rapid Scan" is the slow powerful heal, and the "Heal Scan" is the short, weaker one. Did they mix things up during development?

Personally I love the animation of Telekinetic Throw.

Can't say I disagree with either of you on the main points. Its purely a matter of looking from Inquisitor to Consular and feeling a bit :C

Because no matter how one waxes apologetic on the matter, skipping stones /= big herkin' bolts of wicked-looking lightning. Nothing wrong with it mechanically, as said, but there's...

Its visually boring. I can't figure out why it had to be visually boring.

Light Side Force-user enemies have an ability Sages never see called "Project Storm".

It's like a channeled version of Project, hurling all manner of giant objects, rocks, crates, and debris at you in a series of big slamming attacks.

It feels more like the 'LS' version of Force Lightning. TKT, while charming and amusing, is also pretty underwhelming. But then, I don't know. Maybe that's the point — Sith use big flashy overkill displays of power, while Jedi does only what's necessary to stop their foe? Reaching here. :(

Personally I think Telekinetic Throw is cooler than Project Storm :p ... it's not so much the animation as it is the casting stance, I guess. It just feels cool to use it. Project storm looks like a gorilla throwing a tantrum and force lightning is.. well.. flashy lightnings, but constant hunchback on your character--no thanks.

Telekinetic Throw seem to be of a refined taste. But so was the Balance spec for Shadows and it didn't stop them from ruining all the fun in that spec. Guess Telekinetic Throw will get a new animation soon enough. :(

Its visually boring. I can't figure out why it had to be visually boring.

Personally, I get the feeling as if everything republic-wise gets more boring compared to the cool imperials ...

Is this just my impression or is this rather true ? Because if my impression is right, then I don't like it.

Personally, I find "throwing pebbles" graphically underwhelming, too.

Which is an imho very hard contrast to the imho visually very cool looking "electricity" of the imperial mirror class.

Maybe this here helps solve the question :

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I too like TT more then Lightning, solely due to character stance during animation. in lightning, the toon is all hunkered over...they almost look constipated to me :p Whereas the TT stance is upright with a casual flick of the hand.

I thought that if they had brought the character up a bit more in lightning, a more chest up position with arms in a relaxed outstretch "casting" position, it would look way cooler then the hunkered down, "I'm pushing as hard as i can !!! is it working" look they have now.

Personal pref :) im sure there are those that like the look of being old and cane ridden (joke! well, partially...). Perhaps it was supposed to carry a slightly evil "ominous" look to it...the hunkered down ancient wizard hurling lightning. sorta reminds me of the emperor during Return of the jedi now that you think about it...of course, I prefer Darth's much more casual approach to flinging things around. the emperor looks evil, while darth looks like he is good at kicking a$&

I prefer the more subtle sage version as it's much harder to figure out where the attack is coming from, as opposed to the massive purple neon sign that screams "I'M OVER HERE" for sorcs!

If you'd like something with a bit more impact, use disturbance :)

I think what would make Telekinetic Throw more interesting would be if the effect was environment-specific. You're in the woods, then you would be throwing rocks and whatnot. In a city or on a ship, you would be throwing chunks of metal/nails/screws/bolts/etc. Seems odd that the Jedi would be throwing stones when fighting in a hangar bay. Probably very hard to code, but would be cool nonetheless.

I'm all for a "strong wind/air turbulence" visual effect a la Satele in the Hope trailer when she was holding Malgus down before slamming him into the mountain.

Same for me. I like more the stance of TT now than Force Lightning, but making it looking more powerful (and noticiable) would not harm.

Perfect for me would be :

- same stance than now

- no pebbles anymore

- thicker air effects

Though in a way, I prefer what we have now compared to the Force Lightning. Everytime I see these sorcs with their chain lightnings, it screams "Hey, I'm here DPS ing. Attack me!"

It takes too much attention (bad for PvP :p)

It might be just differences in imagination, but I always loved the TK throw animation.... its like a telekinetic machine gun.....maybe a lil tweak in the animation of the speed and force of it might be improved, but not much needed.....the stance is controlled and focused......as opposed to the almost maniacal and evil chain lightning......its cool that all our attack animations are smooth cool and not wicked cool..... :D

And it looks as cool as its supposed to look, in this trailer :D

It might be just differences in imagination, but I always loved the TK throw animation.... its like a telekinetic machine gun.....maybe a lil tweak in the animation of the speed and force of it might be improved, but not much needed.....the stance is controlled and focused......as opposed to the almost maniacal and evil chain lightning......its cool that all our attack animations are smooth cool and not wicked cool..... :D

And it looks as cool as its supposed to look, in this trailer :D

agreed, I just think of how it would feel being on the receiving end of it. Little tiny rocks pelting me reminds me of middle east and the high winds we had to deal with, having the little rocks was sooooo annoying. I personally like it as is, I would agree that more animation might look "cooler" but overall no complaints on my end.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.