Recoloring our Armor coming in GU 2.1

Altyrell

At the moment, we are able to tie Armor to the Color of the Chest Piece. When 2.1 comes out they say that we will be able to recolor the Armor. Now to me, when I hear the phrase "recolor the armor", my definition is similar to how things were for Tailors & Armor Craftsmen in SWG where they were able to select from a pallet of Colors to customize their Goods.

Now I understand that that might not be what we will get, but if it is then I wonder if it will be only available to the Synthweaving and Armormech or if it we be applicable to all Armor. Plus, if it is similar to how it was done in SWG, then I hope that it will expand to Artiface (Crystals), Armstech, and possibly the Vehicles of the Cybertech.

So, what do you guys think BW means by "recoloring of armor" and what are you guys hoping that they mean by it?

At the moment, we are able to tie Armor to the Color of the Chest Piece. When 2.1 comes out they say that we will be able to recolor the Armor. Now to me, when I hear the phrase "recolor the armor", my definition is similar to how things were for Tailors & Armor Craftsmen in SWG where they were able to select from a pallet of Colors to customize their Goods.

Now I understand that that might not be what we will get, but if it is then I wonder if it will be only available to the Synthweaving and Armormech or if it we be applicable to all Armor. Plus, if it is similar to how it was done in SWG, then I hope that it will expand to Artiface (Crystals), Armstech, and possibly the Vehicles of the Cybertech.

So, what do you guys think BW means by "recoloring of armor" and what are you guys hoping that they mean by it?

I think they mean this:

http://dulfy.net/2013/04/26/swtor-armor-dyes-and-appearance-designer-kiosk-details/#more-39357

I would have preferred a system tied to professions instead, creating a revenue stream for those with those professions and fostering more cooperative play between game players. I am happy, however, to see it being added in any form.

That said, I think that choosing from a limited pallet, quietly based on existing textures or recolors is probably how it will be done, since it seems tied to a primary and secondary color set. That generally indicates a texture change instead of actual RGB changes separate from the textures themselves.

I would have designed the armor in the game very different before launch to support an appearance system from the get go, and had colors determined separate from the base textures, but that's me. This way works as well.

I would have preferred a system tied to professions instead, creating a revenue stream for those with those professions and fostering more cooperative play between game players. I am happy, however, to see it being added in any form.

That said, I think that choosing from a limited pallet, quietly based on existing textures or recolors is probably how it will be done, since it seems tied to a primary and secondary color set. That generally indicates a texture change instead of actual RGB changes separate from the textures themselves.

I would have designed the armor in the game very different before launch to support an appearance system from the get go, and had colors determined separate from the base textures, but that's me. This way works as well.

A few colors will be craftable according to Dulfy.

The description at the link posted earlier mentioned 'dyes'. Since the game already lets you 'recolor' gear with the 'unify colors' options, it's clear that the primary and secondary colors for gear is already pulled out as fields in the data structures for items. The easiest method I can think of to implement color changes would be to take those fields and replicate them in an exposed pair as part of the 'item dye' slot/slots (whether primary and secondary colors can be changed independently is indeterminate -- the article describes primary-only, secondary-only, and primary/secondary dye items, but not whether you can use separate primary-only and secondary-only dye items on a single piece of gear) that players will be able to populate using the dye items, with any color value in the dye item slot overriding the piece's default color. Having predefined color values for the dye items makes them easier to deal with than a free-form functionality, which would entail adding additional UI features to let a player pick the RGB value for a given dye item.

It would be nice to expand the capabilities of synthweavers and armormechs by allowing them to set the default primary and secondary colors of a piece of armor when it was crafted (or just take the default colors, for people in a hurry); it would increase the variability of crafted items without requiring the creation of additional models.

It would be nice to expand the capabilities of synthweavers and armormechs by allowing them to set the default primary and secondary colors of a piece of armor when it was crafted (or just take the default colors, for people in a hurry); it would increase the variability of crafted items without requiring the creation of additional models.

I agree

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.