In the news: Layoffs at EA today

DarthTHC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably made the poor souls slave over a new cartel pack, and ignore all valid fixes during their final weeks of work before firing them.

Par for the course for EA. Quite simply, EA is a terrible company with horrible direction from the top. Working for them must be daily eggshell walking and mailslot checking for pink slips.

Thought this game was developed and still developed by bioware? i thought EA where just publishers/owners like activision and blizzard? If so why would EA be making cartel packs?

Technically, Bioware being owned by EA, company-wide layoffs could affect anyone.

If you work at BioWare, you work for BioWare -- but BW as a whole works for EA, so is under their control to some extent.

Although, I'm not sure how closely they are tied. BW does all of their own staffing.

Some of you folks live in a very sheltered existence. You might be troubled to find out that layoffs have been hurting the entire country (USA) for a number of years now for many millions of people in many businesses and industries.

A bad economy hurts everyone.

But you can go on believing that this is an evil deed by EA.

In more upbeat news, today marks the end of my 7 years of bad luck from that chain email I didn't forward back in 2006.

Edited by TheBBP

Thought this game was developed and still developed by bioware? i thought EA where just publishers/owners like activision and blizzard? If so why would EA be making cartel packs?

I find your use of logic... disturbing.

In more upbeat news, today marks the end of my 7 years of bad luck from that chain email I didn't forward back in 2006.

I remember when I used to get those spam emails... if I actually believed in those I guess I'd have like another 50 years of bad luck:p

Layoffs are an unfortunate reality for any large company (in a struggling economy, at least). Even Blizzard does it periodically. They laid off about 500 people a year or two ago. Chances are, none of the people that lost their jobs were working at Bioware Austin, though. Edited by chuixupu

As sad as it is this is the world we live in today, so even though this is not limited to EA by any short measure our thoughts should go out to those loosing there jobs and take no glee or delight from such news. Edited by Shingara

Layoffs are an unfortunate reality for any large company (in a struggling economy, at least). Even Blizzard does it periodically. They laid off about 500 people a year or two ago. Chances are, none of the people that lost their jobs were working at Bioware Austin, though.

Indeed. I believe (from some other reports I have read) that this round is more EA internal specific and not as encompassing to the individual development companies EA owns - though that still does not preclude it. Generally, when the dev side is it, the gamers and gaming media will know about it.

Not at all unexpected after the CEO stepped down. This is a very common pattern at companies that are struggling....the CEO is the first out the door... followed by major restructuring and cost cuts.

The gaming industry is struggling badly. So even the large holding companies like EA are not immune.

From the official statements... it's clear that they were not happy with their mobile gaming business operations. And since they had their growth future largely centered on this... it makes sense and that is likely where major changes are taking place including layoffs. The prior CEO (before JR) was the vision guy for mobile gaming... So him hopping back in the seat (even if only on an interim basis) makes sense.

Anyway.. the layoffs will be across the company in general.. at the specifics... they would be looking for places to cut costs since their revenue growth has not been realized. Basically....if you were not in job (or business unit) that could be directly tied to revenue contribution to company... you are a high target. Happily.. I don't see signs that SWTOR is in that basket. SWTOR is actually an operational bright spot for them now. There are a couple of other small declining MMOs in the MMO business unit though that could be targeted for cuts.

Edited by Andryah

Some of you folks live in a very sheltered existence. You might be troubled to find out that layoffs have been hurting the entire country (USA) for a number of years now for many millions of people in many businesses and industries.

A bad economy hurts everyone.

But you can go on believing that this is an evil deed by EA.

I'm sure that last line was very clever but you're obviously smarter than I am because I have no clue what it's about. An attempt to make light of the doom and gloom nature of the OP?

Technically, Bioware being owned by EA, company-wide layoffs could affect anyone.

If you work at BioWare, you work for BioWare -- but BW as a whole works for EA, so is under their control to some extent.

Although, I'm not sure how closely they are tied. BW does all of their own staffing.

Are they owned by EA or more sub contracted out by EA? What I mean is like a bank contracting out a security firm to secure the premises. The bank is paying the company but the company is responsible for their own hiring, payroll, insurance, etc.

Are they owned by EA or more sub contracted out by EA? What I mean is like a bank contracting out a security firm to secure the premises. The bank is paying the company but the company is responsible for their own hiring, payroll, insurance, etc.

Owned... It's offical status = A Division of Electronic Arts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

The brand has been retained and after the internal studio wars a few years ago... EA banished Mythic leadership (but have kept the branding) and put Bioware management in charge of all MMO properties.

In terms of operations, you might think of it a lot like being sub contracting from what we've been told(this is not uncommon among corporations that own other corporations), though they are indeed owned by EA. Bioware accounting wise has its assets and expenses measured on EA's balance sheet and income statement respectively, and I imagine a good deal of intangibles for the $860 million EA paid out. Whether or not Bioware continues to operate is indeed controlled by EA, and their budget is up to EA as well.

*EDIT

If you're interested more specifically about how much freedom in design decisions Bioware has, one of the Doctors recently talks about Bioware's experience as part of EA. From what we've been told, they seem to have a level of freedom roughly on par with a game studio that is being contracted to produce a game, if not more(in that Bioware has a say in what they want to be contracted to do next).

http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2013/04/dr-greg-zeschuk-bioware-ea-beer/

Edited by Vandicus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.