Please allow Guard buffs from multiple tanks in PvP.

Sidrath

2.0 has significantly raised the value of bringing support classes to the table, and I'd argue tanking trees (Immortal, Darkness, Shieldtech) received some great overhauls. In turn, I anticipate more players will bring tank specs into WZs, and therefore more Guards to spread around. This leads to a noticeable quality-of-life problem for PvP tanking:

Guard buffs are currently mutually exclusive. If someone is being Guarded by a tank who's nowhere near (ie >15m away), they're not really being guarded at all. Yet that Guard buff prevents any other nearby, conscientious tank from applying theirs. You need the Guardee to manually click off the Guard buff before a nearby tank can use theirs. Quality-of-life wise, this is pretty bad: it means a bad tank on your team can actively hinder the guard-swapping of a good tank on your team. The parallel for healers would be if healer A putting a weak heal on someone in need locked out healer B from burst-healing them: it's kinda silly.

A simple solution would be to allow multiple Guard buffs to apply, and only the nearest tank absorbs the damage transfer. If I recall, this is the system used in Warhammer Online, where the Guard system was coined (and incidentally whose PvP team got absorbed into Bioware when it acquired Mythic?). This change would allow tanks to better control their protection of teammates, and never find themselves penalised by the actions of a wayward tank. Insofar as quality-of-life is a major concern for improving gameplay - a stated aim of the devs going forward - I can't think of a good reason not to implement this. Please give it due consideration.

signed.

as a tank i often find that frustrating when i guard a door in voidstar duo with a healer and he already has a guard from some1 who is far away - or some similiar situations. When you're pugging its even rarely possible to communicate with the healers to make em drop "wrong" guard and give yours.

stacking guard sounds strange, but i guess if a guardian is away from his guardee (dunno if its the apropriate word) for more than 30sec, then the guard should fall off by itself.

While an interesting idea the guarded person is still getting the 5% DR and the tank is getting his boost if he has 4pc regardless of how far away he is (lower threat too but that doesn't matter in PvP). Overlapping guard could cause the DR to stack (could be easily coded to only do 5% max) and multiple tanks could get the damage buff of one target. It could also mess with Protection scoring.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.