High APM = hard to play, low APM = easier to play?

paowee

FYI, TORParse counts APM as every time "...character ACTIVATES xxxx..." this includes, adrenals, relics, buffs (such as laze target, bloodthirst, recklessness, etc.) and any ability off of the GCD (such as deadly saber, interrupts, etc.) as well as attacks. For the most part, people striving for top parses are employing every opportunity to maximize their damage so APM can serve as a proxy for a spec's/AC's required click-level. The higher APM the more your DPS will suffer from lag or delayed reactions.

For example, Carnage/Combat has the highest APM so if you have significant lag or can't click fast enough you will never be able to achieve the best DPS. And in fact, you will experience a greater DPS deficit than if you player Sniper/Slinger. In other words, a delay of 0.05s between actions will be more significant as you need many more actions to be the best.

I think this is a good explanation! I've found that often, whether due to lag or some other reason, when trying to trigger certain abilities they just sit there stuttering. Most likely because i'm not respecting the GCD and trying to get ahead of myself, as such since Kick does not respect the GCD and is an instant ability, I've taken to triggering a kick instead of waiting for the GCD to finish an ability. Once I've hit the kick, since the next ability doesn't require me to wait on the GCD, I can trigger my next ability instantly. So in essence I can get 2 DPS abilities in 1 second.

My parse seems to fluctuate from day to day...but the kick does seem to help even out my flow.

FYI, TORParse counts APM as every time "...character ACTIVATES xxxx..." this includes, adrenals, relics, buffs (such as laze target, bloodthirst, recklessness, etc.) and any ability off of the GCD (such as deadly saber, interrupts, etc.) as well as attacks. For the most part, people striving for top parses are employing every opportunity to maximize their damage so APM can serve as a proxy for a spec's/AC's required click-level. The higher APM the more your DPS will suffer from lag or delayed reactions.

For example, Carnage/Combat has the highest APM so if you have significant lag or can't click fast enough you will never be able to achieve the best DPS. And in fact, you will experience a greater DPS deficit than if you player Sniper/Slinger. In other words, a delay of 0.05s between actions will be more significant as you need many more actions to be the best.

How about Engi Snipers?

How about Engi Snipers?

It's the same. I looked at your parse here. (I am pretty sure this is you, but you change your signature all of the time :)) Anyway, if you go to the log tab and do a CTRL+F for "Activates" you will find 296 manifestations of this. Your parse was 6m 34.8s or 6.58m. 296/6.58 = 44.98 APM, this is the same number TORParse shows for your APM.

Some non-obvious abilities that count for you APM:

• Covered Escape
  • Take Cover
  • EMP Discharge

Actions per minute never has been and probably never will be any indication of skill or class difficulty in an MMO. I played a Jedi Sentinel at launch and found it fairly engaging and easy to pickup, on the otherhand I just started leveling a Commando and found the gameplay frustrating and the rescource management more challenging, the Commando takes more skill though it definitely is using less APM, bare in mind that my experience with Commando is fairly limited thus far. Edited by Bigbazz

Actions per minute never has been and probably never will be any indication of skill or class difficulty in an MMO. I played a Jedi Sentinel at launch and found it fairly engaging and easy to pickup, on the otherhand I just started leveling a Commando and found the gameplay frustrating and the rescource management more challenging, the Commando takes more skill though it definitely is using less APM, bare in mind that my experience with Commando is fairly limited thus far.

I think there is some correlation between APM and class difficulty. In order to perform at the highest levels, you need to manage offensive cool-downs, procs and resource all while actually activating abilities as close to the GCD as possible. Holding all else equal, it seems logical that a class that has 2-3s casts/channels will have an easier time than someone who has a bunch of instants simply because the cast/channel class by design has a simpler (read fewer) required activations per minute.

I think the point is tho that at this level of speed, when you have global cooldowns and plenty of time to think ahead it just isn't really enough to make any difference in difficulty. Managing resources and timing cooldowns and maximising uptime are the things that take the skill, nobody is saying "this class is too hard because I can't keep up with the required APM".

Maximising how many attacks you can do in a given time, and maximising how much damage those attacks do is how you maximise damage, but that isn't linked to "APM", you're limited with what you can do and it's mostly managing resources, cooldowns and being aware of what you're going to do next.

When people use APM in a RTS sense it is because situations arise where you're simply limited by how many APM you can do, where being able to do more gives you an advantage. MMO's are much slower paced and APM just isn't a factor in difficulty.

You could argue that a class with a lower APM could be easier to learn but difficult to master, as resource management and proper timing of abilities, choosing the right ability at the right moment to maximise output takes more skill than mashing buttons on a higher paced class.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.