True PvP flag toggle for PvE servers (among other improvements)

Botana

As a PvE purist on Colonel Tobin -> Corellian Run -> Shadowlands since launch, one thing that's always bugged me is the PvP flag toggling on PvE servers. If you've never noticed it, you can instantly toggle *on* your PvP flag (allowing players of the opposing faction to attack you) but, in order to turn it *off* you must find a "safe area" and sit for 5 minutes. During my initial runthrough, this posed little trouble, I didn't stray far from my questing areas and, as such, never had the buggar toggled on by PvP zones/faction medstations and bases. As I rolled a few more characters, I quested and occasionally found these areas, but Colonel Tobin was so low pop, I didn't really run the risk of being blindsided by a roaming pack of the other faction. I did, however, encounter this problem after the round 2 mergers, specifically, during the Gree event, where ~1/5 of the questing required you to pass into a mandatory flag zone. Inside the flag zone, getting ganked was the point, however, once I left the flag zone to return to my PvE experience, I fell victim on at least 2 occasions to marauding Sentinels smashing my poor PvE spec Merc. I could have avoided this by going back to base camp and sitting for 5 minutes, but, I'm questing, sitting for 5 minutes to avoid inconsiderate people from across the pond is a complete break of immersion and 2 times out of the week, actually broke my motivation to do the Gree content. On a PvE server, I see no problem with allowing a player to freely toggle their flag so long as: 1. They are not currently engaged in PvP combat AND 2. They are not in a PvP zone (such as the Gree PvP area). The only potential drawback I see to this system is allowing people to jump on someone, kill them, then immediately toggle their flag to avoid retaliation (this could be counteracted by a PvP debuff of some sort). This isn't the kind of thing I'd nitpick if it hadn't been for the Gree event, forcing both factions to work in close proximity (in competition for resources i.e. mob spawns, WBs) with the potential of accidentally being flagged for PvP through a thoughtless heal.

Alongside this change, I think it would also be beneficial (once again, for PvE servers) to remove the "Yellow" status of flagged players of the opposing faction when you yourself aren't flagged and to make it impossible to deal damage to "Yellow" players if you yourself aren't flagged. Once again, during the Gree event, I had on at least 2 occasions, "Yellow" players run into my Death from Above or Orbital Strike to take a tick of damage, flagging me for PvP and making me a sitting duck. I see no benefit to allowing non-flagged players to damage flagged players of the opposing faction, other than the element of surprise.

These are little inconveniences, but I feel they would make a significant improvement on PvE servers if content similar to the Gree event (factions in cramped quarters, fighting for the environment) is to be further deployed.

TL;DR Make your PvP flag truly toggleable (on and off with no 5 minute waiting period for off) on PvE servers and make it so that nonflagged players can no longer damage flagged players of the opposing faction.

Thank you for your time,

--Botana (Aman-ra, Nadalia, Ke'liss'thran - The Shadowlands)

I just want a “never PVP” flag that simply prevents healing or buffing allies who have engaged in PVP in the past 60 seconds, unable to harm opposite-faction players, and makes me immune to catching PVP from other players. That would let me get into random groups as a healer without having to go cool my heels at a cantina for five minutes afterward, or get ganked when I walk out of an instance.

Agreed. Some people who want to pvp turn off their pvp flag and then just start hitting you in the world when all you saw was a blue name. There should be a longer wait to toggle on pvp and a shorter wait to toggle it off. I've seen people of my faction or opposing factions completely abuse the system. Why is it made that way anyways?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.