Why haven't they opened up server transfers yet?

HaoZhao

I'm currently on a RP server. I would like to move to RP-PVP without starting over again from scratch. My understanding is that BioWare has a server transfer system in place from last year, ready to go at any time, yet they refuse to use it. I understand there might be some concerns of populations or economies becoming unbalanced with completely open transfers, but those concerns can be met with restrictions. Allow transfers only once a year, only from servers with heavy populations, whatever. BioWare could even charge for it based on server traffic. Maybe if you leave a heavy traffic server for a light traffic one, the transfer is free. Leave a light traffic server for a heavy one, and maybe you get charged $20. Just an idea.

I just hate feeling trapped on this server when I want to try a PVP server. I shouldn't have to start over from scratch when BioWare has a transfer system collecting dust.

Waiting on paid transfer as well. Will be moving to the east coast soon (the things we do for women) and would rather not have to connect across the country to play. I would be happy with just moving one toon and keeping my legacy stuff and having to reroll everything else. But not an option for me. Either start from scratch or deal with slower ping times.

Considering we don't KNOW they have the proper system in place, I find it funny you say it's collecting dust.

Did you copy a character to the PTS for 2.0 testing? There were quite a few issues. I'd HIGHLY assume they're fixing these before rolling it out.

APAC servers are being shut down completely -- and they're going to give all of those players transfers. Considering the price savings they'll see from shutting down 3 servers in another part of the world, and the $$ they can make from paid transfers -- I highly doubt they're just sitting it out.

Considering we don't KNOW they have the proper system in place, I find it funny you say it's collecting dust.

Did you read my post before responding to it? They had a system in place from last year. It was open for a limited amount of time.

Did you read my post before responding to it? They had a system in place from last year. It was open for a limited amount of time.

You mean a "system" of manual transfers? Because I haven't seen a single thing about server transfers ever being in place. . . .

Granted, I stopped playing as 1.3 dropped, and began again 1/2 way between 1.6 and 1.7. But seriously -- there have been COUNTLESS threads complaining about this on a DAILY basis -- and not a single person has ever said that, so I have/had no reason to believe your assertion was true.

Yes they did. It was free and it worked great.

Hmm, seeing as it was both of those things, maybe that's why it isn't available any more. It's probably been tied up in the bug assurance and price gouging departments.

You mean a "system" of manual transfers? Because I haven't seen a single thing about server transfers ever being in place. . . .

Granted, I stopped playing as 1.3 dropped, and began again 1/2 way between 1.6 and 1.7. But seriously -- there have been COUNTLESS threads complaining about this on a DAILY basis -- and not a single person has ever said that, so I have/had no reason to believe your assertion was true.

They had a great system in place when they merged servers. The only issues with it were people losing names because the name was taken on the destination servers, which was inevitable.

Transfers were simple to do, free, instant, and name changes (when you lost yours) were included.

Yes they did. It was free and it worked great. Hmm, seeing as it was both of those things, maybe that's why it isn't available any more. It's probably been tied up in the bug assurance and price gouging departments.

My understanding is that the opened it last year to correct population imbalanced on specific servers and then closed it when the servers in question became balanced again. So the system should still be there. They just don't want us to use it.

They have never had a transfer mechanism that let's you move where you want to go from where you are.

They have had manual and automated mechanisms to let players move from predetermined (ie: probably hard coded source/destination DB transfer process) servers to predetermined servers.

There is a big difference.

And as commented in an earlier post... they tested their source -> destination automated transfer on the last PTS and it has a lot of serious bugs still.

Edited by Andryah

I think they should resolve the lag issues before opening up xfers. With APAC users being consolidated to west coast servers and possible server imbalance as people move from PVP to PVE realms (which is more likely than the opposite) this is a higher priority issue. I've been seeing serious lag even on the less populated PVP servers. I seem to remember there was a similar issue back in October with 1.4 which was resolved in 1.5. Hopefully they can fix this soon. Edited by Projawa

They have never had a transfer mechanism that let's you move where you want to go from where you are.

They have had manual and automated mechanisms to let players move from predetermined (ie: probably hard coded source/destination DB transfer process) servers to predetermined servers.

And as commented in an earlier post... they tested their source -> destination automated transfer on the last PTS and it has a lot of serious bugs still.

That was my understanding -- although were the transfers even actually transfers? I was gone for that period -- but I thought they just did server merges. >.<

Anyway -- I'm sure we will see it soon, especially with the impending closure of APAC servers.

Oh Please! A 9th grader can program a dropdown list.

Bioware is embarrassed by their ineptitude which is the reason for their deafening silence regarding this issue that is brought up on a DAILY basis.

Oh Please! A 9th grader can program a dropdown list.

Bioware is embarrassed by their ineptitude which is the reason for their deafening silence regarding this issue that is brought up on a DAILY basis.

Its likely WAY more complicated than a dropdown list. Are you a MMO programmer? What games have you programmed? What large software packages have you worked on. When they do the transfer they need to likely move that characters entire database entry and plug it into another database, that can screw things up badly. Ive watched database people do everything right, and something gets corrupted, and they loose data. I guess that's OK with you? Just transfer a character and what ya get is what ya get? This is a huge program, and small stitches in its code could mess whole sections up, as is evident when they add stuff, and it messes up a wholly unrelated part of the game. I agree, transfers are overdue, but they have their reasons, and its not an overarching conspiracy to piss off player-base. Nor is there reason to make judgments when you likely do not have all the information.

That was my understanding -- although were the transfers even actually transfers? I was gone for that period -- but I thought they just did server merges. >.<

Anyway -- I'm sure we will see it soon, especially with the impending closure of APAC servers.

They were transfers. You picked the origin and destination servers. You couldn't pick any destination, but the system was a transfer and not a straight duplication of one server to another.

Its likely WAY more complicated than a dropdown list. Are you a MMO programmer? What games have you programmed? What large software packages have you worked on. When they do the transfer they need to likely move that characters entire database entry and plug it into another database, that can screw things up badly. Ive watched database people do everything right, and something gets corrupted, and they loose data. I guess that's OK with you? Just transfer a character and what ya get is what ya get? This is a huge program, and small stitches in its code could mess whole sections up, as is evident when they add stuff, and it messes up a wholly unrelated part of the game. I agree, transfers are overdue, but they have their reasons, and its not an overarching conspiracy to piss off player-base. Nor is there reason to make judgments when you likely do not have all the information.

It's not that hard. If you have A to B working as intended, expanding it out to A to B-Z isn't cold fusion. It certainly doesn't take a year to program.

Updating data is very simple and programmers do it everyday. You are not impressing anyone with programming skills. Yes there is some logic to consider, but it's been over a year. This should have been completed months ago

It's not that hard. If you have A to B working as intended, expanding it out to A to B-Z isn't cold fusion. It certainly doesn't take a year to program.

Exactly correct. They have the ability, they are making the choice not to put it in yet even though people are wanting it. Waiting for Wildstar to come out with hopes that it is worth a damn. At least based on what I have seen so far, those devs actually listen to what people have complained about in other games and addressed those issues before the game goes live instead of keeping the training wheels on for the first years after release.

They probably don't like money.

Wait... it's EA... that's not it.

They want to punish players. That's more like EA.

But that won't override their greed, so that's not it either.

Must be that technically it's not yet ready and they certainly don't want you to try to transfer and have it fail somehow. You don't want that either, right?

Edited by DarthTHC

Must be that technically it's not yet ready and they certainly don't want you to try to transfer and have it fail somehow. You don't want that either, right?

The manual system is still there. As long as they can use the manual system to fix any errors that occur, I would much rather they put the system out NOW! Screw now, it should have been in the game 8 months ago. There is no excuse for it taking this long.

It's likely a case of not wanting servers to empty as people flee under populated ones for more healthy ones. The optics of dead servers is something they would try to avoid at all costs considering how they already lost 90% of them.

it could be that they're concerned voluntary transfers will lead to unstable server populations, or further imbalance, and that will lead to decreased interest in the game and therefore less $$ for EA. it could also be any number of almost infinite possibilities that nobody on this forum has mentioned yet. until the dev's tell us what their priorities and intentions really are, this is all baseless speculation.

my guess for this thread is that the next transfer, much like the last one, will not be voluntary.

of course, i still think we should be creating a new topic about this every day or two. i still enjoy them.

I don't have a strong opinion on server transfers, but I can think of some potential problems that might result. One such problem would be an unbalancing of the in-game economy. item prices on the GTN vary SUBSTANTIALLY from server to server, and a sudden influx of cheap items from other servers would likely upset a lot of people that are currently on the server. I can also see how, with the legacy system and other such things, the coding and implementation of server transfers could wind up being much more complicated than a simple data transfer. That said, it would be nice to be able to try, say, a PvP server without having to start from scratch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.