Seeker Droid Quests: The Time Sink to End all Time Sinks

Akrokyl

Who's bright idea was it to create a series of quests whose apparent purpose is merely to waste a player's time by having them run in circles spamming a little seeker droid with a 2 meter scanning radius in a quest area that's what seems to be 2 kilometers in radius? Seriously, what the hell was going through your heads when you thought "oh yes, players are going to just love wasting their valuable time digging for useless pieces of junk in the middle of nowhere for hours at a time!"? And we're paying for this too? Fantastic.

I'm not a game designer, but in general I'd say it's a bad sign when players start to think of elements of your game as a boring chore rather than an integral, fun part of the experience. I understand that you want players to earn their items, reputation, etc., but there are better ways to do this than to force players to spend hours with little guidance and a godawful little scanning droid.

tl;dr - Please, for the love of god and for the sake of humanity, never implement a quest series similar to what you did with the HK parts or the seeker droid ever again. Oh, and fire whoever designed it (or at least give him a good lashing).

/rant

I like them, and it sounds like your doing them wrong the stuff you put the droids over is an actual visual item in the areas really no nned to search with droid just look around. If your looking for the special drops well they just take time. I can make creds really fast doing these esp on Makeb. Edited by Philastra

Everyone has to like everything in a game. The internet told me so.

I really like the binocs and the seeker is perfect for Saturday mornings while I'm waiting for some peeps to wake up and roll with me. It's very zen and beats doing dailies when you don't feel like it. Fantastic addition to the game--more things for different kinds of players.

Well 1st of all, all the quest for the droid have visual signs of where stuff is, example tattoine get the recievers, they have a ariel attached to a roof edge. Pick up the eggs, there are eggs on the floor. find the ship parts. you guessed it, a ship part.

Second of all, the dailys can be completed as part of a group and everyone going to a designated area of the map, no matter how far apart you are, aslong as you are grouped and on the same planet if bob in the bonus area of hoth scans a ship then alice in the top corner of the map near the 2 man heroic will get credit for it.

That means these are infact the best dailys in the game.

Edited by Shingara

Lol. Who forced you to do these quests? Nobody. If you don't like them, don't do them. If you can't stand the thought of not finishing a quest within 5 minutes, look for something else to do, seriously.

I really enjoyed the quests. They were fun and most importantly pretty relaxing. No need to kill 500 mobs, no need to kill myself through a big area and back. I can walk around, look at stuff and enjoy being on old planets. I liked that. I spent a long time at Tatooine, simply cruising around because it is my favourite planet. And I got even rewards while doing it! Fun.

And FYI; it never took me more than 5 minutes to find a dread seed, so I don't really get your problem with the seeker droid? First I thought it would be similar to the hk pieces, where I spend up to 15 minutes to find a piece which seemed like a really long time, but after a few tries you get your green circle and after like 10 more tries you get your stuff. Like, in no time at all.

I like the new dailies, as well. Especially on Tatooine and Alderaan. Very relaxing. No need to be alert because there could be a pat that could kill me or anything, no need to be annoyed because I have to kill myself a way to a quest objective. Whereas on the other hand I have to force myself to do the normal Makeb dailies for the rep because I want the rep receipt for implants.. ugh, always killing so much trash.

If you like them, they are a perfect MMO activity as yes they do take time to get the rewards.

If you like story, the story arc isn't too time consuming. All the seeds dug up in under 5 minutes for me.

If you don't care about the story, then don't do them at all and you'll be just fine.

The only jarring thing about this and the macrobinocular quest line is its all solo travelling around stuff for endless planets, which I've actually enjoyed o be honest, and then it spits you out into a heroic 4 on both.

Nothing wrong with group quests, but they just dont fit in with whats gone before, I think they should have had the end of the quests solo to match the rest with the heroics as side quests.

Edited by Voblat

Those things are called Seeds of Rage for a reason - you get pretty enraged when it almost always takes 30 minutes to find one.

I think the 4 man quests at the end are mistake. Already it's almost impossible to get a group for those, especially for binocular quest. Later it will be even worse. You mess around entire day to do this solo quest series and then get hit by 4-man truck, bad planning.

Really? I found each within 5 digs, so like 2 minutes each

Guess the gods of randomness favor you. At least 75% of my digs are 30 min. With accuracy buffs.

I need to usually summon the repair droid to sell off all the useless junk that this damn droid keeps hauling to me.

No surprise there, I'm generaly quite cursed with total lack of luck in everything.

I was looking for Dreadseed Helmet for like 3 hours. 1 hour switching instances and running around digging sites trying to find some active zone, without ongoing PvP. And then 2 hours of searching. I totally enjoy that. Really. It was adventure with clear goal. Loved it. But, no more. I'm done with it :D

...to waste a player's time by having them run in circles spamming a little seeker droid with a 2 meter scanning radius in a quest area that's what seems to be 2 kilometers in radius?

[_] Did read the instructions for the seeker droid

[_] Did read the mission text

[X] Random rant by player incapable off doing thinks correct.

Could it be that you are the Guardianl wich i saw yesterday with willpower mods all over his gear?

Edited by Eshmael

Who's bright idea was it to create a series of quests whose apparent purpose is merely to waste a player's time by having them run in circles spamming a little seeker droid with a 2 meter scanning radius in a quest area that's what seems to be 2 kilometers in radius? Seriously, what the hell was going through your heads when you thought "oh yes, players are going to just love wasting their valuable time digging for useless pieces of junk in the middle of nowhere for hours at a time!"? And we're paying for this too? Fantastic.

I'm not a game designer, but in general I'd say it's a bad sign when players start to think of elements of your game as a boring chore rather than an integral, fun part of the experience. I understand that you want players to earn their items, reputation, etc., but there are better ways to do this than to force players to spend hours with little guidance and a godawful little scanning droid.

tl;dr - Please, for the love of god and for the sake of humanity, never implement a quest series similar to what you did with the HK parts or the seeker droid ever again. Oh, and fire whoever designed it (or at least give him a good lashing).

/rant

Wow.....just.....wow.

So, let me ask you? Were these mandatory missions? Did you absolutely have to complete them?

The answer is NO. They were put in as a fun side mechanic and time sink, and quite honestly, I think it is pretty ingenious. It gives some cool side plots and also offers something to do rather than beating our face into boss after boss after boss. Not only that, it creates traffic on the planets that you only visited while leveling.

At least, this is my opinion on them. I for one enjoy the new missions.

This isn't even new...they have (as much else in this game) copied the mechanics of this from WoW.

Remember Archeology anyone? I didn't bother to do more than a quest or two of Arch in WoW either...

If it rocks your boat, good. Not for me.

I'd rather that they used the time and expenses to make new FPs and WZs.

Lol. Who forced you to do these quests? Nobody. If you don't like them, don't do them. If you can't stand the thought of not finishing a quest within 5 minutes, look for something else to do, seriously.

I really enjoyed the quests. They were fun and most importantly pretty relaxing. No need to kill 500 mobs, no need to kill myself through a big area and back.

This!

No need to do them, but I've enjoyed the "out of responsibility" time of my character :p

I do have to agree that they are a HUGE wasted time sink.. they are only useful if you are trying to collect the parts for the speeders (which some are impossible to get as its been confirmed that not all parts are currently in game) the credit pay off you get from them is next to nothing, and the repair bills from them (even just getting a scratch) can be annoying and take whatever you have earnt, Ive only done them myself for the rep.. as I want a set of teh champion bots to go with my Eradicators set, and I did them on various alts because at the time BW were stupid and capped coms at low numbers forcing you to go to an alt if you wanted/needed more coms

• 2 weeks later...
I like them, and it sounds like your doing them wrong the stuff you put the droids over is an actual visual item in the areas really no nned to search with droid just look around. If your looking for the special drops well they just take time. I can make creds really fast doing these esp on Makeb.

Your a life saver Philastra. As soon as I saw there was a visual queue I found my first item in less than a minute! Thanks man I owe you.

Who cares if some people don't like them? I don't like PVP....so I guess they should get rid of PVP. Some other guy doesn't like to run Ops so I guess they should ditch Ops. Everything doesn't need to be a power-leveling, grindfest where you fast-forward through the same Flashpoint or Op a thousand times to rack up commendations. If you don't like the seeker/macrobinocular stuff, then don't do them....they aren't mandatory. Problem solved....crisis averted. It's funny how often you see comments in the forum like "the game is too linear"...."there's no exploring"...."every quest is kill X number of rats"....but then whenever BW does something other than the cookie-cutter missions which can be power-leveled, then people start whining about that too. Everything in this game doesn't need to cater to the power-leveling, instant gratification crowd.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.