PvE Pyro DPS...

Malsidius

I'm sure some uber-guru will come in here and say you can melt faces with the Pyro tree, and I'm sure there are a handful of players who can. The reality, though, is most Pyros switched to either Arsenal or Bodyguard with 2.0 for both PvE and PvP. Edited by Phrase

Pyro was really funny before 2.0. But now Bioware left a message to all Bounty Hunters: STOP PLAYING WITH FIRE!

They made a huge nerf in the Pyro spec for Powertechs, one of the strongest PvP class until then. What happened is that the Pyro Mercenaries became the ˜innocent bystanders victims" of Bioware shooting. When they nerfed the Powertech Pyro tree, they had hit us, because we share the same spec tree. Pyro spec tree was the humble PvP alternative for us, because it allowed us to make some damage while moving. We were the ˜poor brother" of Pyro Powertechs, and now that the Pyro Powertechs are very poor, you can imagine how Pyro Mercs ended up in PvP...

By now, I changed my spec to Arsenal, and having some great time with that. It has a lot of defensive tricks now. Worth giving a try...

I refuse to stick with arsenal, call me crazy but i just tire quickly of spamming tracers and hoping for that 1 in 5 chance crit on heat seekers, unfortunately mercs have no crit-procs and this makes arsenal and bodyguard mercs unviable as they cant be relied on to get consistent results and do their job. since pyro is more of a continuous dps as apposed to burst, the crits are shared out much more evenly making the AC a more reliable player assuming tactics are up to a high standard which is so far taking allot of practice.

For PVE pyro is like taking on flys with a bazooka and then overheating before you killed even half of the swarm,

For PVP pyro relies heavily on the electro net to hold players back while the burn ticks off. as usual stay close to snipers or stealthies you will need peels and heals.

I refuse to stick with arsenal, call me crazy but i just tire quickly of spamming tracers and hoping for that 1 in 5 chance crit on heat seekers, unfortunately mercs have no crit-procs and this makes arsenal and bodyguard mercs unviable as they cant be relied on to get consistent results and do their job. since pyro is more of a continuous dps as apposed to burst, the crits are shared out much more evenly making the AC a more reliable player assuming tactics are up to a high standard which is so far taking allot of practice.

For PVE pyro is like taking on flys with a bazooka and then overheating before you killed even half of the swarm,

For PVP pyro relies heavily on the electro net to hold players back while the burn ticks off. as usual stay close to snipers or stealthies you will need peels and heals.

False False False. If your still thinking merc is a "tracer spam" class then you don't truely know how to play arsenal

False False False. If your still thinking merc is a "tracer spam" class then you don't truely know how to play arsenal

when i say spam i mean always relying on it for the damage proc, but my point is the class is useless without the crit on heat seekers.

I've been Pyro since starting the Merc Class, still at Lvl 47. tbh I'm just sticking with it until i hit Lvl 55 and then will probably respec to Arsenal.

I'm kind of hoping by then they may have re-balanced it but that probably won't happen. :mad:

PvE is ok, not doing as much dmg as before I don't think, or at least it doesn't feel like it. Haven't tried PvP since 2.0 hit so may give that a go and see what happens, although i wasn't very good before anyway lol.

when i say spam i mean always relying on it for the damage proc, but my point is the class is useless without the crit on heat seekers.

So? same can be said about the marauder smash and the merc pyrotech's thermal detonator. Every class is going too (or should) have that one ability that crits high. Pyro was semi fun for PVP pre 2.0 simply for the sake of being moble. Now arsenal is so much better i don't even bother. And when you break it down, Heatseeker really doesn't rack up as much damage as you think - those 9k crits can be decieving. Unload is definately where the majority of arsenal damage stems from

So? same can be said about the marauder smash and the merc pyrotech's thermal detonator. Every class is going too (or should) have that one ability that crits high. Pyro was semi fun for PVP pre 2.0 simply for the sake of being moble. Now arsenal is so much better i don't even bother. And when you break it down, Heatseeker really doesn't rack up as much damage as you think - those 9k crits can be decieving. Unload is definately where the majority of arsenal damage stems from

Just an attempt to save you here...futile arguing with Hex, he will QQ on any and every thread related to mercenaries.

To answer OP, Pyro is actually excellent right now on DoT friendly fights, such as S&V Thrasher and the council fight...might be able to use it on Titan but unsure. I wouldn't go solely on pyro though, go with arsenal on fights with any kind of frequent target switching.