Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Looks Ancient (this one's a pearl, gentlemen)

Machine-Elf

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do tell more:)

I love the story in the game and the decisions but you always get the impression that it was going to be more ie like KOTOR.

in thst game, your decisions could cause your companions to turn, your abilities would change depending on your alignment etc. And of course your decisions could significantly change your story.

It would've been great to see that in TOR.

Yeah, but it wouldnt work since this is an MMO.

It might work a bit in the class stories (and to an extent they have that in the IA story and the jedi consular as well) but since companions are so important they cant have them turning on you. They actually had that and you could kill your companions too, but they had to remove that because some (ie. most) people are idiots and killed their companions and then complained because that companion was dead and they had an unfair disadvantage to other players... *sigh*

Yeah, but it wouldnt work since this is an MMO.

It might work a bit in the class stories (and to an extent they have that in the IA story and the jedi consular as well) but since companions are so important they cant have them turning on you. They actually had that and you could kill your companions too, but they had to remove that because some (ie. most) people are idiots and killed their companions and then complained because that companion was dead and they had an unfair disadvantage to other players... *sigh*

The problem of losing a companion wouldn't be a problem if we could choose the role of ours companions or get new companions (like 3 different basic droids, one for each role)

the problem with loosing a companion has more to do with their crafting system than the role of the companion. they originally had companion kits so you could change the role easily enough. However; only being able to send out 4 companions on crafting missions compared to 5 is a disadvantage. the companion crafting thing is a good idea, but the implementation severely limited there place in the story. All Sith Warriors will agree.

The problem of losing a companion wouldn't be a problem if we could choose the role of ours companions or get new companions (like 3 different basic droids, one for each role)

I agree, there could've been a droid market on Tatt so you can get replacement crafting companions.

I like the way he walks and Mako's normal hair :l I actually like how many things look superior in this video. Force choke not making red, pulsing lights, cool lightsaber finisher and running animations :l

And the smuggler blaster sounds...

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

You'll notice in that video at the end he talks about the player needs to feel heroic taking on multiple enemies. A far stretch of what we have now with 8 or 16 players beating down one large boss and some adds... Thats where we need the element of heroism. The feeling of impossible odds with no escape. But alas, the engine can't support more than 16 players or characters in the same area such as PvP etc without massive lag.

I agree!

But how about in PVE operations... creating cleave-fights where there are a lot of adds that need to be withered down. Something like Mt. Hyjal from several years ago in WoW. Same number of people, but fighting stacks upon stacks of adds (silver, gold , champion) should definitely add the impression of heroism right? This is one thing I wish upon this game.

So I was just checking out a walkthrough from the 2009 version of our favorite game and was amazed by how rudimentary everything looked.
; they basically had to rework the game, almost from the ground up, in less than a year. They may have done so multiple times.

Again, your lack of experience with software development is leading you to the wrong conclusion.

The bulk of the changes between that video and what we have in game is artistic, namely models, textures, sounds, and animations. What you are seeing are intermediate mock ups that are put in place during development to give the designers something to design around while the art departments continue working on polishing up the various artwork. In most cases, the final art won't be integrated into the game until the first beta tests.

More importantly: Changing the art is a simple thing. Its not like the game includes code to draw every piece of armor. It has generic code to read the art as resources. To upgrade/change the art, you just change the resources. Completely changing the look of the game doesn't (shouldn't, at least) require any significant changes to the game engine. That's sort of the definition of what a "game engine" is.

The video you linked shows that they absolutely did not rework the game from the ground up. Quite the contrary. It shows that the core game engine was in place and working more than a year before the game was released. The graphics, models and textures, were almost completely replaced, but that is totally expected. It's no different than stage actors practicing in cheap costumes until the dress rehearsal.

Has the SWTOR engine evolved? Sure. The engine it runs on can't even be called the Hero Engine anymore. By all accounts its been changed so much that there is very little that is compatible between SWTOR and the current Hero Engine. And that's a good thing. That's why SWTOR didn't cost more to develop. Adapting an existing engine/framework to accomplish your goal is a very common software development strategy and its main goals are to reduce development time (and therefore: cost). The Hero Engine couldn't handle the load that SWTOR does. There were loads of changes done to the engine.... but the vast majority of those changes were complete before the video you linked was made. Since then, even more changes have been made, but there's no evidence to suggest the game was ever restructured from the ground up.

Have quests been reworked? Sure. But that was the point of the engine they chose. You can prototype and tweak in the actual game engine, so making changes to quests is cheap. Changing abilities or what mob spawns in some place, or what sort of quest event is needed to open a door is cheap. Making changes to the core engine is still expensive. Things like letting classes perform certain actions still exists. It's just done as crew skills rather than classes, and the bonuses from them are toned down. Would class-based mechanics be cool? Sure. But that is a cheap change to make.

Ahh, I remember seeing that fourth video years ago and thinking how fun it would be...funny that Black Talon no longer has a Jedi boarding party, and it was replaced with a big war droid. Much more Star Wars-y, of course, isn't it? ;)

I kid, I kid.

Yeah they changed alot of things in this game for worse before launch.Remember the early videos how smugglers and agents could hide standing up behind trees etc while fighting as a cover mecanic. Pictures of starships down on planets making us belive we could land and walk outside, yeah no we got copy paste space stations that we all hate.

Not to mention all those videos had better looking armors with hoods down.When the game came out mostly green garbage with hoods up on everything.etc etcetcetcetcetcetcetc

There are also comments re: decisions actually having an impact on gameplay.

People in beta screamed about that, because they could lock themselves out of some content (killing your healer comp, for example) and would have to restart the character. So it was changed. Basically, much more decisions should have mattered, but people did not like it or it would not work in "no reloads" environment of MMO

I agree!

But how about in PVE operations... creating cleave-fights where there are a lot of adds that need to be withered down. Something like Mt. Hyjal from several years ago in WoW. Same number of people, but fighting stacks upon stacks of adds (silver, gold , champion) should definitely add the impression of heroism right? This is one thing I wish upon this game.

We got something like that on smaller scale in first phase of last boss in SaV. So maybe we will see more of this? (hint, hint, BW)

the problem with loosing a companion has more to do with their crafting system than the role of the companion. they originally had companion kits so you could change the role easily enough. However; only being able to send out 4 companions on crafting missions compared to 5 is a disadvantage. the companion crafting thing is a good idea, but the implementation severely limited there place in the story. All Sith Warriors will agree.

I think the companion kits were not that much free-swap, they were basically the modes that we can switch now. Mako was never capable of Tanking, for example (or at least I never heard or seen it)

• 1 month later...
People don't like necroing threads (generally more than a month is considered bad, but varies from person to person) because it clutters up the forum with conversations that went their course and ended.

This.

Unfortunately, some people like the sound of their (virtual) voice too much.

I'll never forget the day I first saw SWTOR in the Gameinformer magazines back in '08. I remember how everyone kept telling BioWare to shrink the lightsabers because of their astronomical size. :jawa_tongue:

OMG those were the old days.

I also remember all the guild recruitment spam in those weekly Dev announcements that everyone looked forward to on Friday, I believe(?).

Wow, I'm going to cherish all these memories. :)

Edited by MrJurgens

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.