Importance of Team Composition in 2.0

DharmaPolice

Let me start by saying my comments refer only to unranked PVP and primarily PUGs.

It might be my imagination but in 1.7 it seemed quite possible to win with fairly uneven team compositions. Yes, teams with no healers were at a significant disadvantage, but you had a decent chance even if both sides were relatively equal. Now, excluding Huttball the only way you seem to be able to win in those scenarios is by being much much stronger than the opposition (or by getting lucky with tactics like stealth capping).

But it goes further than this. In matches where both sides have at least one reasonable healer (i.e. someone healing 800k+ in a match) it seems to be the team with one or more tanks that tend to win - even if the healers on the enemy side are slightly stronger. It's not the only factor - you obviously need decent dps to win most warzones , but assuming that both sides are within 20% of each other the presence of tanks seems to make all the difference. A strong tank + healer combo was useful in 1.7 but I'm not sure it was as necessary as it seems to now.

It's one of the reasons why TTK varies so wildly I think. A lot of matches everyone dies in seconds, other times you struggle to kill anyone. The quality & coordination of dps is still the primary factor but even where that's constant TTK still fluctuates greatly.

This isn't a complaint thread - I'm not saying there's a problem or that we should nerf healing/tanking. To me the game is more balanced if all three roles are needed to win. I'm just curious if other people are seeing the same thing.

It does mean however that the queueing system is likely to produce even more frustrating mismatches than previously. I despise people who give up in warzones and I personally never quit prematurely but when I join an Ancient Hypergates game and see a team with no healers then I assume it's a loss - even more so than when in 1.7 you joined and saw half your team in recruit / PVE gear. I still play on, but I'm never surprised when we lose.

I do not agree on the importance of healers/tanks being #1. We run one of the top ranked teams in PoT5 so here's my 2 cents.

In order of importance:

1) DPS: If you don't have enough, no matter how great your heals are, you won't be winning that warzone. This is the single most important thing in every warzone with exception to Huttball. Pre 2.0 we would run 1 good AOE burst (smash) and 1 good single target burst (PT or sniper) in our premade.

2) Healers: They can make life easier, but honestly they are a second to coordinated DPS. We have won many Ancient Hypergates with no healers on our team, while the other team had 2. Coordinated DPS burst on those 2 healers is what is important. We have won many huttballs without healers, with a carnage predation and a sorcerer's pull to literally run through the enemy.

3) Tank: A competent tank who switches guard and actually guards DPS is the SECRET KEY TO VICTORY. Not many tanks do this. They stick a passive guard on a healer and call it a day. The gap between a good tank and a bad tank is huge, and you can always tell them apart very easily.

I think the state of balance in this game is actually quite good right now. Every AC is viable in ranked.

An ideal ranked warzone would look like the following: Jugg tank/hybrid for guard, Assassin for node duty, marauder for pred, pyrotech for their pull, taunts, and single target DPS (yes i know they are nerfed), sniper for their AOEs, utility, and single target burst, Operative healer for their burst heals, Sorcerer for powerful AOE heals. In addition, 2.0 seems to have made Sorc DPS viable again. Concealment operatives can also be viable for node guarding and hitting the enemy node to draw help as well. And of course merc heals are still the best single target heals available.

Basically, 2.0 made a lot of ranked compositions viable again and I look forward to the fresh changes and going up against new compositions. Gone are the 3 powertech, 2 smash composition which is a good thing!

Edited by revcrisis

I do not agree on the importance of healers/tanks being #1. We run one of the top ranked teams in PoT5 so here's my 2 cents.

As I said at the start of my post, I'm primarily talking about unranked PVP. In ranked PVP you're not going to queue without a healer and expect to do well. If you're a solo queuer then it's fairly common to end up with 0 healers on your team.

I don't think it's a case that healers/tanks are more important than DPS - that claim wouldn't make sense. My point was that in unranked matches I'm seeing more cases where tanks/healers seem to be the key variable in determining who wins. Yes, both sides need dps. But most teams (that aren't hopeless) have this. Yes, sometimes you're stuck with five healers and three tanks, but that's really quite rare.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.