Sniper pvp

ripamorame

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that 2.0 has been very good for snipers (well, imperial agents and smugglers in general). We are one of the lucky classes where all 3 specs are incredibly good and competitive for both PVE and PVP, so my advise to you is play all 3 specs and decide which one suits you best. Personally, I love all 3 specs and rotate between them.

The below isn't a manual or a guide (I'm not patient enough for such things, lol), but it shows what I like about each of the specs.

Marksmanship - was great before 2.0, is even better now because Followthough procs after every 2 snipes, an Ambush, complete Series of Shots, and Takedown. It is also the most popular of the 3 specs in pvp due to its incredible single target bursts. The only problem with Marksman I have is that most of its damage is white, meaning against tanks a lot of my hits will be either parried/shielded/blocked or they won't hit very hard. Still, I'm in love with this spec.

Engineering - While initially it was gimped during the early stage of the PTS, Bioware had the sense to make some favourable changes to the Engineering tree. It still has incredible burst with setup (i.e Int Probe + Plasma Probe + buffed clusterbombs + Series of Shots = Sheer Panic) and I think it might still also be the hardiest of the 3 builds. Also, it's fun to spam frag grenades (which hit like a bag of bricks) while you're on the move.

Lethality - very few people played full lethality before 2.0, the main concern being that setup was too long, and if you changed targets too often you'd run out of energy in next to no time. Now however, with no cooldown on Corrosive Grenade and the improved energy regen, it's become a lot more viable. Also, previously it was the weakest of the 3 builds, but not so now as you are able to pick up Ballistic Dampers from the Marksmanship tree (hurray for pvp!). The best part of Lethality, however, is that Cull now has 45% chance to trigger Lethal Takedown. This finishes the cooldown of your Takedown and allows it to be used on targets of any health.

Hope the above helps :)

Actually, I'd argue MM is mildly nerfed in damage output. Bad crit, we rely on surge and it's got to be obliterated just to get 100% accuracy now. Lots of new defenses given to other classes mitigate white damage even more.

What MM does get is some nice mobility upgrades.

Lethality is the common pug spec right now with all the dots. Engineer is quite good also. It's not that MM is poor, it's not...I just think it's debatably the worst of the three right now relative to 1.7.

MM is still my hands-down favorite spec, but I'm slowly integrating engineering into my warzoning.

Edited by islander

Thank you very much can any explain to me lethality i know it was used without cover pre 2.0 is that the case now? How does it fair against tanks (our bane) i always choose the unusual spec some advise would be appreciated :D

Lethality is fantastic against tanks. Lethality got major buffs in 2.0. It's just not optimal for pure leveling PvE.

i know it was used without cover pre 2.0 is that the case now?

Just had to comment on this.. not being in cover is the worst kind of sniper, regardless of spec and even more so in 2.0!

I cringe every time I see people ask for the "cover less" sniper spec, I spit on these people.. then I kill them! :p

Just had to comment on this.. not being in cover is the worst kind of sniper, regardless of spec and even more so in 2.0!

I cringe every time I see people ask for the "cover less" sniper spec, I spit on these people.. then I kill them! :p

If you're rolling MM spec in PvP you're not killing any Lethality sniper worth a ****. Don't be one of the countless noobs flooding warzones that won't leave cover mode. I realize the MM spec caters to clickers and keyboard turners but moving/position is extremely important in PvP.

I drop to cover on abilities that require it but I like to keep my feet moving constantly. I'll go toe to toe with any class as Lethality.

If you're rolling MM spec in PvP you're not killing any Lethality sniper worth a ****. Don't be one of the countless noobs flooding warzones that won't leave cover mode. I realize the MM spec caters to clickers and keyboard turners but moving/position is extremely important in PvP.

I drop to cover on abilities that require it but I like to keep my feet moving constantly. I'll go toe to toe with any class as Lethality.

Perhaps you are playing the wrong class then? You bring your mentality from a mobile DPS to a predominantly stationary DPS class. Your most damage comes from abilities being used from cover. Everybody can run around and spam dots with lethality. Warriors, PTs will only thank you for staying out of cover.

Perhaps you are playing the wrong class then? You bring your mentality from a mobile DPS to a predominantly stationary DPS class. Your most damage comes from abilities being used from cover. Everybody can run around and spam dots with lethality. Warriors, PTs will only thank you for staying out of cover.

Just quoting this for emphasis, exactly my point ;)

Positioning IS important, running around like a headless chicken ("mobility" snipers heh) will get you killed faster than sitting in cover (in the right place).

Positioning IS important, running around like a headless chicken ("mobility" snipers heh) will get you killed faster than sitting in cover (in the right place).

The other day an Operative came at me from behind while i was capping inside the node of novare coast. I used cover pulse to root and knock him back to the corner of the wall and then rolled, hit emp, then rolled again. I lol'd a little inside :o

Edited by paowee

Positioning is one of the most important aspects of PvP. There is more being mobile than running around like a headless chicken. You don't get 1.6+ million damage in WZ's doing that and you don't get over 1600 dps just "spamming dots". The issue I have with "cover only" mm snipers is that good players will never let you beat them. Countless times do I see these MM snipers sitting in a corner spamming away at useless targets just because they are in view while the skilled/elusive healers are LoSing them.

I drop into cover all the time, but the second I am ready to swap targets or gain some type of advantage I move. If my healer ran behind a pole or hallway I get off my cover *** and go peel.

It's enjoyable after these matches seeing MM snipers whisper me in droves asking how I just did 5x more dmg than them as well as rack up solo kills.

Countless times do I see these MM snipers sitting in a corner spamming away at useless targets just because they are in view while the skilled/elusive healers are LoSing them.

I keep seeing these MM snipers posted up in the corner getting people down to ~30-50%, and then they run away and the sniper just tab targets and keeps up their rotation. It's like they think someone else will finish that healer off, no need to try to go for the kill.

I keep seeing these MM snipers posted up in the corner getting people down to ~30-50%, and then they run away and the sniper just tab targets and keeps up their rotation. It's like they think someone else will finish that healer off, no need to try to go for the kill.

How do you imagine the sniper finishing off a healer that retreats what is most possible to his territory among his team mates while his health is not yet within execute range? There could be moments when you could finish him off for free with a quick roll and insta attacks, even trading your life for his could help your team sometimes, but that is not something sniper is expected to do on a regular basis.

The ultra stationary guys playing MM are just snipers in the learning phase of the class. There is nothing to scoff at them.

Bioware did ruin our 6s cycles of snapshot snipes + FT, without takedown, you need an activated ability :( for the second FT. I used to like that sort f MM mobility in 1.7.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Positioning is one of the most important aspects of PvP. There is more being mobile than running around like a headless chicken. You don't get 1.6+ million damage in WZ's doing that and you don't get over 1600 dps just "spamming dots". The issue I have with "cover only" mm snipers is that good players will never let you beat them. Countless times do I see these MM snipers sitting in a corner spamming away at useless targets just because they are in view while the skilled/elusive healers are LoSing them.

I drop into cover all the time, but the second I am ready to swap targets or gain some type of advantage I move. If my healer ran behind a pole or hallway I get off my cover *** and go peel.

It's enjoyable after these matches seeing MM snipers whisper me in droves asking how I just did 5x more dmg than them as well as rack up solo kills.

It's not always about overall numbers.

I play both Sharpshooter and Dirty Fighting and I find pro's and con's with each spec. Dirty Fighting ( lethality ) will usually win out on DPS numbers but a lot of that can be bloat damage, ie: dot a target, target runs away and heals with the dot still ticking, rinse and repeat. Sharpshooter ( Marksman ) is great for the instant burst of 4-8k combo hits. In a ranked warzone team that depends on focus fire, this is crucial. You also can be a spot tank with the right gear and use of skills. But your cast attacks can be LOS'ed if you're not in the right position.

Sustained damage: Dirty Fighting / Lethality

Instant damage: Sharpshooter / Marksman

It's all about what is best for your team and of course, how the spec is played by the user.

IMO, this is what I like to be in warzones:

Voidstar: Dirty Fighting

Huttball: Sharpshooter

Aldreaan: Sharpshooter

Novare Coast: Sharpshooter

Hypergate: Dirty Fighting

Edited by Arehonn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.