Skill tree question PVE

GSEbruiser

Hello, I apologize if there is already a thread with an answer but I am mainly a healer and not too deep into my 51 marauder. I basically have only used Annihilation since I have started raiding and I am wondering if at this point is Carnage better for it? Mainly just worried about boss fights, not so much trash pulls. I have heard that Rage is mainly for pvp so I neglected to mention that, if not then let me know. Thanks!

I leveled as Anni and have been raiding as Anni ever since. Played around with Carnage a little bit after 2.0 dropped but I switched back. They both have their pros and cons, I just personally don't like the play style of Carnage.

Annihilation pros/cons:

+Self heals

+6s Disruption + 0m force charge = lots of interrupts

+Generally very steady damage, nothing to surprise tanks with

+Good uptime for damage because of DoT's; movement phases aren't a problem

+Rage management is very easy, and the entire rotation/priority list is very fluid and smooth

-Lack of on-demand burst damage for burn phases

-Most parses I've seen tend to show lower overall DPS than Carnage, but only by a small margin.

Carnage pros/cons:

+Very high burst damage potential (100% armor reduction with Gore)

+15% extra movement speed is great for movement phases

+Predation in Carnage is buffed over Anni, more utility

+Threat drop can break snares/CC's

-Rotation is a lot less fluid (and less fun as a result IMO)

-Burst rotation consists of Gore > Ravage > Force Scream (with Execution), requiring your target to stay still. Can be problematic on bosses that move a lot. Can also pull threat if the tank isn't paying attention/bad.

Edited by UnluckyChums

Hello, I apologize if there is already a thread with an answer but I am mainly a healer and not too deep into my 51 marauder. I basically have only used Annihilation since I have started raiding and I am wondering if at this point is Carnage better for it? Mainly just worried about boss fights, not so much trash pulls. I have heard that Rage is mainly for pvp so I neglected to mention that, if not then let me know. Thanks!

It really depends on the boss. There are some which have relatively low odds on forcing Annihilator to drop with any regularity, and Anni is beastly in those fights.

There are some fights which have significantly higher odds (or a virtual guarantee) of forcing Annihilator off, at which point the hella long ramp-up of Anni becomes a major hindrance and DPS drops like a stone.

Frankly, it's probably a good idea to have all 3 specs practiced and able.

-Rage is amazing for leveling to 55 and clearing trash (and shockingly tolerable even on bosses now).

-Carnage has a very frenetic play-style but does absolutely insane burst and very good sustained DPS.

-Annihilation has very smooth damage, very good sustained DPS, but a very long ramp-up before peak DPS is possible (building 4 Annihilator and 6 Juyo stacks, the former of which basically means an absolute minimum of 27 seconds between Annihilator stacks falling and peak DPS being possible again).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.