Another Bolster Thread: But its a good; constructive read!

L-RANDLE

To the OP:

Seriously, making PvP gear unmoddable to avoid min/maxing? Have you lost your mind?

Not sure if you've ever seen the gear sets but..

Partisan War Leader's Boots has +56 alacrity.. Alacrity... ALACRITY...

I want every piece to be moddable, including earpieces, implants, relics for all sets, because these sets are poorly constructed for both PvE and PvP. Allowing us to mod our own gear also avoids the cookie cutter builds that completely dumbs down PvP even further.

Really, we should be allowed to remove the asinine-ness of sets through modding like:

1) Tank gear with DPS stats, yes alacrity and accuracy are on the tank sets, while accuracy is marginally useful, alacrity on a Guardian tank with 1 channeled attack is beyond useless. Heck most healers and DPS don't even use alacrity, preferring instead to go for higher stats like power, crit, surge, accuracy.

2) DPS/healer sets having more endurance than main stat. Again, marginally useful on some, completely useless on others.

3) Useless stats for certain builds. Crit on builds with an autocrit perk, Accuracy on builds that rely on force/tech damage, all marginally useful but really there are better places to put those points. This would be like, Guardians, Sentinels, and Shadows all having Strength and Willpower on their gear, sure they could gain a marginal effect for the other stat (through buffing force or melee attacks respectively), but they are much better off stacking their main stat.

Also in regards to your expertise versus TTK statement:

You do realize that the damage boost due to expertise is completely negated by the damage reduction due to expertise if both people have the same expertise right?

Therefore, for a 100 point attack by someone with 2018 expertise against another person also with 2018 expertise (the cap, with a 60% damage boost and 37.5% damage reduction):

100*(1+0.60)*(1-0.375)=100

The purpose of expertise is to seperate high end raiders from PvPers and not allow only those who are in top end raid guilds from being completely gear dominate in PvP. Time to kill has nothing to do with expertise, aside from those fools that think rolling in pve 72s in PvP is better because you have higher stats, and those fools should rightly be destroyed in seconds to show them the error of their ways. TTK is short because of burst specs, and focus fire. In all honesty, TTK has gone up a bit since 2.0 because of the increase in endurance versus the damage output going out now. I kid you not, smash is not hitting as hard relative to your hp bar as it did pre-2.0, where one smash could take half your bar away. Now it takes 3-4 smashes to kill you, then it took 2.

If you are dying fast, I would look at your actions and/or reputation. Chances are you are being targeted by 4 or 5 DPS at once, and this is why you are dying in the span of one stun. And no change to expertise, or any other stat will save you in the least. You are being focus fired, welcome to the big leagues.

Not that the game sets the bar but I have to use it to answer your question. Yes, I will be bringing World of Warcraft into my response to Another Bolster thread.

So basically you want BW to focus on EXP main/end stat for bolster instead of the dps boost/heal/damage reduction etc. Just want to make sure I got it down correctly reading responses to the thread can make things a little convoluted. Makes sense but is that the best direction for them to go. I am going to head in a direction most have not before on fixing this "Bolster Issue"

1) Was there anything really wrong with it prior to the "Fix" applied? I do not think so, if you resort to the "twink" or Modded EWH argument in the words of Mr. T "I pity the fool" GW2 proved attempting to balance gear by making it all pretty much equal doesnt actually balance anything. One word "Thiefs" unless they fixed it I played 2 months after launch and then went back to WoW. Penalizing someone for putting my time into an MMO by modding EWH or Twinking astounds me. Told you WoW would be here and here it is. WoW had a twink issue in BC and in Wrath hard to remember but I know in BC. People would honestly make a Lvl 19 twink it out and just roflstomp on it by locking XP. It was great. But it was a serious issue. Instead of restructuring PvP from the start (btw is overly complicated) they simply made a new queue for those who were xp locked. Guess what Twinks still exist but eventually the have to hit lvl 90 now I guess. Brilliant move. BW needs to apply a similar situation here but since the bracket is 10-29 and 30-54 I think now (idk every toon slot is like lvl 35+) it would have to be decrease the lower level rare mats drop. :D that way being OP is super hard and only rewarded to those who will grind it out. SWTOR in my eyes is a mostly casual community therefore the matchups would majority of the time be even. Would there be a twink premade? You bet there would but it wouldnt be to the point of making you quit. (if they want BW can add a Rare Drop increaser to the Cartel Market ohhh MONEY MONEY increasing your chances by say 1-5%)

2) Make augments extremely expensive along with ripping out armorings, mods, enhancements (once again add an increaser to the Cartel Market that could potentially decrease the cost). This would also decrease the OP. Bet you are asking what does this have to do with bolster. Everything, I am suring the programming that was in prior to the new Bolster mechanic is still there. ROLL BACK say what ROLL BACK to that. Bolster was fine if you understood it. I played casually pre Cartel Market and all of my toons were pretty much twinks with augmented orange gear. Have an FP session 2 hours with a group running FPs every 5 levels or so and you are good to go. Along with crafting w/e you dont have. I am sure by now we all have multiple high level toons. Bringing me to my next point.

3) Evening the Playing Field:

Serious SWTOR you came out after WoW, Rift, Aion etc. "There's an app for that" Apps are super easy to make and I do not see why you dont have one for SWTOR functions in game. To even that twinking/ gear playing field from my suggestions (rolling back bolster, increasing price for modifications, decreasing drop rate for rare mats). Make an app that allows access to the GTN, Companion Missions, crafting etc. Yeah it would be buggy at first I am sure but I know it is feasible.

Wrap-Up:

Simple Easy Steps that do not require any programming code, complicated formulas, blah blah blah

1) Roll back bolster to 1.2 (i think w/e one was when it was based off gear and such)

2) Decrease drop rate for rare mats to create BiS for your level gear, thus decreasing twinks. ( When I say decrease I mean decrease I am talking Phoenix mount in BC-WoW okay maybe not that extreme but still drop it low low to the floor

3)App allowing casuals to have the same chances or close to that of Hardcore players.

Bonus: Make cross-server pvp, every game almost out there has cross server or multi server pvp (GW2 3 server match-up is awesome) more competition equal less elitist premades going against pugs.

Thank you and good day

The current problem of PvP is lack of significant number of players participating in this part of the game. Thats why the bolster came up, so too reduce the gap between the new players and the veterans of PvP. So they(New players) have greater chance of having positive experience in participating WZ's. So in the best interest of the PvP community is the increase the number of new players that will have positive experience when participating in PvP activities

What affects our PvP experience

1.Gear

I favor the situation when there combat is your skill vs opponent skill not the gear,skill combination

From overall community gathered opinion the bolster work fine in 10-54 PvP so for me it can stay in this way as it is but...

For me bolster in lvl55 WZ PvP should give always the same base stats no matter what gear you wear.

The stats should of course be different depending of your advanced class and specialization but when you meet your mirror or same class and specialization in WZ you will have for example Lighting Sorc vs Sage Telekinetic s with the same skill tree build will have exactly the same sats.

The gear advantage in current WZ PvP discourages new players. The thought that you have to lose bad or horribly 100 or more WZ matches just have a chance to get base gear, not to mention other matches and learning how to mini/max it is for some player too much to bare....They gladly return to PvE content where they have the chance to win something and have fun.....

the other positive side of this idea is better comparison of class/specialization effectiveness and easier balance changes to lvl55 content.

2.Skills

L2P issue, the proper key bindings, rotation, tactical and strategical thinking, the mentality, the preferences of the player.

The only thing to increase these is by learning by playing so the Sandbox/Training Ground/Tutorial WZ would be nice or just reduce the gaps between the new players and veterans( gear advantage and team matching, and knowledge about the specific class weakness,strengths and abilities) so they can focus on training their skill and increasing their tactial WZ knowledge. So that effort for new player to learn how to play with PvP content would be almost the same like the learning the PvE content.

3.Knowledge/in game experience(about other classes and their abilities)

The need to create and lvl up to 55th lvl any class just to learn how to fight against those in lvl 55 WZ is the main source of complaints, nerf calls and frustration . It is another gap that some new players just don't have time and patience too cross. Not to mention the difference in graphical display of mirror abilities adds another gap/difficult layer to L2P. PvP

The simple solution that you have an for example an 24h, one time access to every lvl55 advance class just too see the abilities and test them in few WZ, FP and OPS and in PvE. Those test characters may also give an incentive to actually create new.ones that beer suits our preferences

4.Exploits

Current Bolster system favors and gives opportunity for exploits in with gear. And of course an in game mechanic, WZ map bugs and exploits.. The veterans of PvP can use those to their advantage over the n00bs.... so why do report the exploit when someone can benefit from them and the new player doesn't now is it a bug or exploit or he doesn't care about because he/she don't want to be a cheater or ply with those kind of bunch.So changing the lvl55 bolster, closxing the gap between players may result greater interest in the PvP content . And the more people report the problem the greater the chance that it will be dealt with.

As for OWPvP bolster i see one problem how to calculate the right increase of EXPertise when you are lvl 30 and attacked by group of lvl 28 and lvl 55. for example.or more ppl in different case scenarios(you need expertise to fight with lvl 55 but probably none at all when fighting against lvl 28. ).. the number of math problems increase with number of players.

To the OP:

Seriously, making PvP gear unmoddable to avoid min/maxing? Have you lost your mind?

Not sure if you've ever seen the gear sets but..

Partisan War Leader's Boots has +56 alacrity.. Alacrity... ALACRITY...

I want every piece to be moddable, including earpieces, implants, relics for all sets, because these sets are poorly constructed for both PvE and PvP. Allowing us to mod our own gear also avoids the cookie cutter builds that completely dumbs down PvP even further.

Really, we should be allowed to remove the asinine-ness of sets through modding like:

1) Tank gear with DPS stats, yes alacrity and accuracy are on the tank sets, while accuracy is marginally useful, alacrity on a Guardian tank with 1 channeled attack is beyond useless. Heck most healers and DPS don't even use alacrity, preferring instead to go for higher stats like power, crit, surge, accuracy.

2) DPS/healer sets having more endurance than main stat. Again, marginally useful on some, completely useless on others.

3) Useless stats for certain builds. Crit on builds with an autocrit perk, Accuracy on builds that rely on force/tech damage, all marginally useful but really there are better places to put those points. This would be like, Guardians, Sentinels, and Shadows all having Strength and Willpower on their gear, sure they could gain a marginal effect for the other stat (through buffing force or melee attacks respectively), but they are much better off stacking their main stat.

Also in regards to your expertise versus TTK statement:

You do realize that the damage boost due to expertise is completely negated by the damage reduction due to expertise if both people have the same expertise right?

Therefore, for a 100 point attack by someone with 2018 expertise against another person also with 2018 expertise (the cap, with a 60% damage boost and 37.5% damage reduction):

100*(1+0.60)*(1-0.375)=100

The purpose of expertise is to seperate high end raiders from PvPers and not allow only those who are in top end raid guilds from being completely gear dominate in PvP. Time to kill has nothing to do with expertise, aside from those fools that think rolling in pve 72s in PvP is better because you have higher stats, and those fools should rightly be destroyed in seconds to show them the error of their ways. TTK is short because of burst specs, and focus fire. In all honesty, TTK has gone up a bit since 2.0 because of the increase in endurance versus the damage output going out now. I kid you not, smash is not hitting as hard relative to your hp bar as it did pre-2.0, where one smash could take half your bar away. Now it takes 3-4 smashes to kill you, then it took 2.

If you are dying fast, I would look at your actions and/or reputation. Chances are you are being targeted by 4 or 5 DPS at once, and this is why you are dying in the span of one stun. And no change to expertise, or any other stat will save you in the least. You are being focus fired, welcome to the big leagues.

This is a necro, but I will respond to a couple of your observations.

1. You misinterpret what I mean as it relates to PvP gear. You would still have full access to modify your gear with stats as you see fit, but specifically, armorings, mods, enh would no longer carry expertise. Whatever your end/main is when you walk into WZ, bolster increases your EXP accordingly. I also proposed in a later post that maybe an additional EXP slot is added which would operate similar to augments.

You are 100% right EXP is meant to keep raiders in check, so why to we have PvE stats on PvP gear? The system already works this way somewhat, as raiders are granted a proportional amount of EXP as compensation. The issue is with other gear, specifically crafted items, and the fact that carrying 100% PvP gear is actually, no doubt, BiS. I have a better attack rating wearing crafted purple ear than I do on my conq one. That's was, and still is, an issue...

2. As it relates to TTK, this thread was posted around the time when it was discovered bolster was a buggy mess. Some players were exploiting and stats were out of control. Right now, without the presence of healers, TTK is fine.

bolster is a good idea, the implementation is poor.

2.4 offers an option to change the implementation to be usefull.

for lvl 55 check for exp on an item when changeing an item or entering a WZ/arena.

if the item has exp on it do nothing

if not - change the item stats to be equal to partisan stats regardless of the item lvl etc. (aka recruits stats...)

get rid of all old pvp sets, replace the modifications with pve mods of comparable lvls, and delete unmodable pvp sets entirely.

that way the pvp grind won´t be touched makeing pvpler not feeling cheated compared to pvelers.

you do not have any issues where an item is overbolstered (purple lvl 54 item s anyone ;)) and more powerfull than intended(pvp items)

I still don't get why they did not make a base gear stat... 1st tier slightly better and 2nd tier slight better (SMALL DIFFERENCE)... They rammed bolster down our throats because its a hidden system that can be manipulated on the back end without anyone noticing. To their surprise....we want to play an MMO not exploit your gear wars.

They then doubled down with 8v8 ranked forced to drop out and are now forcing everyone into arenas because they wanted everyone in Arenas... dont you think that would happen naturally if it was the best new cool thing? This caused the largest pvp guilds to run for the hills.

I really just don't understand it at all. I feel like they want pvp to dwindle down and then focus 100% on PVE like its a tax write off for them. I am not even mad just super confused. Did PVP cost too much to run server wise and they are politely saying... bye? Maybe pvp players did not care about cartel items. I paid for a few bundles..

Edited by Kegparty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.