Scrapper Scoundrel PvP video(s) + tips/guide

Kutsus

Well I had planned on doing a lot of frapsing, but have been struggling with FPS issues since 1.1... This patch roughly halved my FPS in pretty much all situations. I've already tried all the FPS fixes and played with graphics settings, both in game and in nvidia control panel. Regardless, I can't fraps full size right now. This really annoys me considering my comp should slaughter this game on max settings.

Will let you guys know if i figure something out and manage to get some fraps going.

same problem here, nothing changed in my hardware/drivers and get half fps too since patch :/

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars: The Old Republic - 1.1.1 Patch Notes

Smuggler

Scoundrel

Flechette Round: Now provides 30% armor penetration while active.

K.O.: This ability now knocks the target down for 1.5 seconds.

Shoot First: The damage output of this ability has been decreased by approximately 20% to control burst damage and because it was enabling significantly faster than intended kills in PvP.

Here is the detail:eek:

Well I had planned on doing a lot of frapsing, but have been struggling with FPS issues since 1.1... This patch roughly halved my FPS in pretty much all situations. I've already tried all the FPS fixes and played with graphics settings, both in game and in nvidia control panel. Regardless, I can't fraps full size right now. This really annoys me considering my comp should slaughter this game on max settings.

Will let you guys know if i figure something out and manage to get some fraps going.

try to delete settings.ini and Graphics_Mirror.ini. Then define the settings ingame again. That helped me alot. Maybe it helps u too.

Edited by Roxxinger

This is all fascinating reading, Kutsus. My one suggestion is that since this is stickied and it's huuuge, it'd be great if you occasionally updated the opening post with stuff about the various other builds you've tried, for instance that hybrid Sawbones/Scrapper build you've had success with.

Kutsus:

Do you know by chance how much crit, surge we should try to go for? (and what ratio between then to maximize dmg and heals) and also what the softcap for crit and surge is?

best,

Tetona

softcap on crit is somewhere around 40% before your 5% buff.

Softcap on surge is absurdly low, I am not even sure where it hits DR but it's very quickly. Regardless, I have surge on absolutely every piece of gear I can get it on. Currently sitting at 88% critical multiplier from gear. DR gets pretty bad above ~85%, so I use my power relic more often than the crit/surge one.

Next time I get bored at work I am going to try and add a spec section that breaks down individual talents/abilities and their PVP viability/uses as well as a few cookie cutter specs for dps/healing/hybrids. Will also change the thread title to indicate there's more to it than just scrappers and videos.

Guess I will also add a gear guide at some point since that has been such a hot topic in here.

Edited by Kutsus

I feel for you guys at 50, your gonna feel the nerf hard... I've been working to get my scrapper to 50, she's only at 38 but for the few levels that I've had shoot first I can really feel the 1.5 second is gonna break it so bad. Honestly I can understand dmg buffs but we utilize those 3 seconds that this could make or break the spec in my opinion. Regardless Kutsus your video's and guidance made be fall in love with scrapper for PvP and I plan to stick with it to 50.

I'd be curious to see some of your future post patch builds to hopefully keep our dps on top.

Hey guys,

I have problems with my Scoundrel... I'm only lvl 18 but my DMG sucks.

I played a jedi shadow to level 45 and then changed the server because of a mate. My shadow was able to do awesome dmg (top dmg or at least 2nd in the chart) at all levels (it increased around lvl 40 but was awesome before).

I think I'm playing the Scoundrel right but somehow I only have like 130k dmg at the end of most warzones... Is the Scoundrel just weak at low levels or is it just not "my" class?

I feel for you guys at 50, your gonna feel the nerf hard... I've been working to get my scrapper to 50, she's only at 38 but for the few levels that I've had shoot first I can really feel the 1.5 second is gonna break it so bad. Honestly I can understand dmg buffs but we utilize those 3 seconds that this could make or break the spec in my opinion. Regardless Kutsus your video's and guidance made be fall in love with scrapper for PvP and I plan to stick with it to 50.

I'd be curious to see some of your future post patch builds to hopefully keep our dps on top.

Our highest burst dps is still going to be the same 31 scrapper spec... It's really not as bad as everybody is making it out to be.

Hey guys,

I have problems with my Scoundrel... I'm only lvl 18 but my DMG sucks.

I played a jedi shadow to level 45 and then changed the server because of a mate. My shadow was able to do awesome dmg (top dmg or at least 2nd in the chart) at all levels (it increased around lvl 40 but was awesome before).

I think I'm playing the Scoundrel right but somehow I only have like 130k dmg at the end of most warzones... Is the Scoundrel just weak at low levels or is it just not "my" class?

Scoundrel is just weak at low levels, like most melee are. Shadow is a bit of an exception because your backstab is so strong early on.

Scoundrel is just weak at low levels, like most melee are. Shadow is a bit of an exception because your backstab is so strong early on.

ok thx. Really like the class so far... when does the dmg increase?

Edited by xysoulxy

ok thx. Really like the class so far... when does the dmg increase?

once you hit 40 with shoot first and flechette, you'll be seeing ~3k shoot first crits and ~2k back blast/sucker punch crits. Once you get a mostly full set of champ/centurion gear at 50, you should be able to reliably get your 5k hit medal on shoot first, and 2.5-3k crits on back blast/sucker punch.

Hello Kutsus! I tried to read all the 22 pages worth :p but I was reading you prefer Surge > Power > Crit? What is your crit cut off, % wise? I had it all backwards going Crit > Surge > Power, I guess. At 32% crit, 72% surge. Is there a max? Sorry, I am just about to hit 50. I took your advice for the trinkets to pop and it is amazing. Appreciate the time, love your videos and guide!

<3

Guss4life.

Edited by Wieser

Hello Kutsus! I tried to read all the 22 pages worth :p but I was reading you prefer Surge > Power > Crit? What is your crit cut off, % wise? I had it all backwards going Crit > Surge > Power, I guess. At 32% crit, 72% surge. Is there a max? Sorry, I am just about to hit 50. I took your advice for the trinkets to pop and it is amazing. Appreciate the time, love your videos and guide!

<3

Guss4life.

I would make sure you keep at least ~36%+ crit before you start taking power over crit. Surge hits diminishing returns pretty hard above 75%, but it's still worth going up to around 80%. My current gear gives 342 surge rating (87.44%), 345 power(79.3 tech bonus), and 237 critical rating (9.01%) if that helps any. When I get a battlemaster offhand weapon, I'm going to have to swap a couple of mods to the 23end 34crit 48surge ones to make up for the crit loss.

Edited by Kutsus

Hey! Thanks for PvP tips and info, much appreciated. I just have a quick question on how I can put my damage output a little more, as I feel it isn't quite as high as I would like it to be.

I JUST turned 37, and I usually get around 80k~100k in an average game of alderan and anywhere from 100k-140k in voidstar, [i wont say huttball since i usually try to score lol] these damages come from the last couple of days.

My stats are here.

http://imageshack.us/f/31/screenshot2012012423335.jpg/

I open with SF -> BB -> Whip -> SPx2 -> Grenade and after that its just rotating back and forth between some skills and using as needed, stuns etc.

I actually have a specific question, on average how much damage was increased when you received flechete shot at 40 and used in WZ? And another thing, did you increase your Sawbones trait first or, dirty fighting, I'm not sure where to branch out first, I do feel like I need a higher crit rate D: but the healing could have saved me a bunch of times. I've found myself on numerous occasions where I wish I could've healed a bit quicker, I guess resets will tell lol. Of course, any specific gear that could help, etc, only a couple pieces of armor are what I DONT want them to be but meh, MP sucks for my server, nothing good :( so I gotta wait till I hit 40 for some nice sets.

Edit: Just did Huttball and did 145k, 7 medals, and top place, so I felt pretty happy xD I just want to compare how others did that level, and where my progressions stands.

Edited by Samkiel

Samkiel, it's going to take a few mins to respond to that post I'll get to it in the next day or so!

I spent the day today trying a 31 point dirty fighting spec... about 30 total warzones. All in all, it does absolutely everything worse than scrapper. Energy, sustained damage, burst, utility, defense. It's just worse in every possible way. Even with scrapper nerfs, I am 100% confident that scrapper will still be stronger in sustained damage, burst, and all the other little stuff. WTB a dirty fighting overhaul...

Hey Kutsus. Thanks for all the informations you gave us about the scoundrel. Very helpful interventions and well written.

I have some questions about gearing. Tbh, I don't understand how you managed to reach 1742 cunning ! And, side question : where do you get your "enhancement" mods ? By farming like a king and looting pants/head parts in champion bags ?

I'd really like to see a full description of your gear, that would really help me (and surely many others).

Another question about adrenals. I've recently crafted myself a rakata surge adre, but it seems, like you said, to hit softcap pretty fast. I think I might switch to the power adre, just need to do some pve (blah).

And last question but not least : from what I understand, you can only stack Relic + Adre/Expertise consumable/or warzone expertise buff. Am I right ? It seems to work that way, for me.

Thanks a lot !

I've done all my set so I can answer that one

You get em from Columni Hoods (Kaon HM or raid), Columni Gloves ( Taral V HM or raid), champion head, champion gloves with luck from bags or bought with tokens once you are battlemaster. Other options include Off-hand token from False Emperor HM (if you take the offhand blaster that you can't equip and take the mod off) and main hand weapons (Soa Normal or HM drop).

You can check which parts have which by browsing the PvP and PvE vendors on the fleet.

Also remarkably, there is not a single grade 26 Enhancement that does not suck (e.g. without alacrity or precision), so we are stuck to replacing this slot in all our gear even on the PvE Rakata set with grade 25 enhancements.. which is unfair vs other classes if they don't have the same issue (haven't checked) since they can net more stats on those 5 mod slots.

(current stats 1713 cunning with a mix of columni / battlemaster for the 2 parts columni bonus, since expertise yields diminishing returns past 450 or so anyway)

Edited by dolpiff