Problems killing elite story bosses

DarthDendory

Ever since lvl 30 I've started having more and more trouble killing strong and elite story mobs. Now I'm 46 and I couldn't kill the last boss on Belsavis when it was 3 levels under me, and the quest was green, and now I'm on Voss and I can't kill a 45 Sith lord when I'm 46. I've tried over 20 times and I don't even come close. Usually I use the droid to tank, he's fully equipped, but I've tried with all the companions, even though some are less equipped than him. I've also tried respecing both in Gunnery and Assault, and it barely makes a difference in my damage output. Either I heal the tank companion non-stop until he dies, or I go full dmg on the boss, either way I end up dieing before him.

So right now I can't keep going with the story, and I want to know am I doing this wrong, or are these bosses really supposed to be that hard, and you can't do the story quests without a group..

Don't use tank companions right now. They are horribly underpowered in the survivability department.

I've had no troubles at all on my Gunnery Commando. Currently L41, been using Elara Dorne the whole game. Spam Grav Round, use Full Auto on cooldown (Cryo Grenade beforehand gives you the 3rd tick), High Impact Bolt at 5-stack, and DO NOT go below 50% ammo under any circumstances. I suspect that's your problem. If you get to low ammo, you are totally screwed unless Reload is available. The ammo regen at low ammo levels is extremely punishing, to the point that I think it needs to be buffed honestly.

I've also been having problems with story encounters even though i use endurance stims shields no retreat and medpacs. I've reluctantly accepted I'am going to die 1/2 of every class quest fight, it sucks when iam trying to play a ****** guy and i die all the time, it really kills the immersion for me.

Ever since lvl 30 I've started having more and more trouble killing strong and elite story mobs. Now I'm 46 and I couldn't kill the last boss on Belsavis when it was 3 levels under me, and the quest was green, and now I'm on Voss and I can't kill a 45 Sith lord when I'm 46. I've tried over 20 times and I don't even come close. Usually I use the droid to tank, he's fully equipped, but I've tried with all the companions, even though some are less equipped than him. I've also tried respecing both in Gunnery and Assault, and it barely makes a difference in my damage output. Either I heal the tank companion non-stop until he dies, or I go full dmg on the boss, either way I end up dieing before him.

So right now I can't keep going with the story, and I want to know am I doing this wrong, or are these bosses really supposed to be that hard, and you can't do the story quests without a group..

As i been trying to tell others who have been calling me a troll for telling the truth. The trooper i suspect have been nerft bigtime after beta.In beta i could solo the elites my own lvl in my strory line etc with my companion.Played the trooper to lvl 35 in beta with lesser gear etc Now on my lvl 30 trooper on Alderaan i cant do that with better gear weapons etc.Pretty obvious.Class no longer feels heroic and it's a grind were i pretty much have to do 20+ PvP matches every day to get ahead so i can actually do the storyline missions and planet missions. Low lvl it's np but higher now it is just a grind beyond.Really sad they removed the feeling of heroic combat.

Edited by Lord_Karsk

I am level 38, so you have quite a few levels above me, but i will tell you what i have learned so far. What i end up doing is always uising Dorne to keep me healed while i fight, and i make sure she is on medwatch and not dps mode whatever its called. I also use my cryo grenade and that aoe pushback to interrupt casts of long abilities that always seem to do significant amount of damage. When i am fighiting elites I also have a medpack ready just in case i need to use it, but i rarely do and use every ability that allows me to regen health or take less damage.

38 now and I haven't had any issues at all with story fights. I've done plenty of Heroic 2 soloing including taking down several 45k health champions.

I'm running full gunnery and for the most part use Aric though I've started using Elara lately because Aric's affection is capped. The champions I had to do a lot of kiting/los-ing to take down as they required healing. Most of the elites though it's just a straight dps race. I typically have Aric start out and get a decent threat lead til I join in and take it from him.

The trooper i suspect have been nerft bigtime after beta.

I assure you this isn't the case. While Commando healing was nerfed considerably (and is due for a buff now), Commando DPS is just as good as it was in beta. Commando is still the best AoE class and one of (if not the) highest single-target DPS classes. It's not a class that can be played poorly and see success. If you mismanage your ammo regeneration, you WILL die. As I've said multiple times, the penalty for going below ammo regen thresholds is huge.

I've been solo'ing Heroic 2s and random world champions (90k+ health at level 40) the entire time I've been leveling. I haven't seen anyone else able to solo those champions without significant effort. I can do it without popping my 20min cooldown or a medpac usually.

TL:DR Strategy:

Elara Dorne in healing stance

Grav Round to 5 stacks

Full Auto on cooldown

High Impact Bolt at 5-stacks of Charged Barrel

DO NOT go below 7ish ammo

Simple as that.

I have zero problems with elites or champions with Elara.

Note: Turn off her combat abilities and MAKE SURE she is on MED WATCH or whatever the stance is. Looks like two hands shaking.

If she is not in this stance things get dicey.

-Jim

I hadn't try a full Gunnery spec, and now with both grav rounds and demo rounds it makes things a lot easier on elites (I liked assault for the AOE power and in PVP) so it seems this is really the only way to go to be able and knock those elites down. Also I stuck to tankish companions while I DPS down the mobs, I hadn't used Dorne in a while, but I guess I'm going to have to give her a try again.

If you have Cybertech, M1-4X is actually the best companion for Commandos. Without Cybertech he takes WAY more damage than he should, and it's really pointless to try to use him over Elara Dorne.

I just prefer having a companion do all the healing while I do all the damage. I do plenty of DPS and can take quite a beating by myself, so having Jorgan or a tank really isn't necessary. I'm not even sure it's possible to solo some of the things I've solo'd without using Elara. When geared she's quite the potent little pocket healer.

I just prefer having a companion do all the healing while I do all the damage. I do plenty of DPS and can take quite a beating by myself, so having Jorgan or a tank really isn't necessary. I'm not even sure it's possible to solo some of the things I've solo'd without using Elara. When geared she's quite the potent little pocket healer.

That's the main reason why I use Dorne. If I'm speced DPS, I should be DPS'ing. Having Dorne allows you to focus on your role. If you have any other companion you become the healer. You might be able to pull off higher DPS initially with a DPS/Tank companion, but eventually the damage taken is going to catch up to you, and you're going to become a healer.

I roll full Gunnery and Elara.

I have no problems with Elites. With my Sentinel friend with his Shadow Companion can two man most Heroic 4 missions a few levels below us.

Tips for Elara:

-Make sure she is on medic watch (Buff is two hands shaking)

-Turn off all of her combat abilities including the carbonite freezing. This way she concentrates on healing.

-Gear her for healing. Power, Alclarity etc.

-Check her ability bar periodically. The game has a nasty habit of resetting these abilities to default.

Good luck and have fun.

-Aethyn