Electro-net: it's the real deal

MagicmanNC

I was only able to squeeze in 1 wz after hitting level 51 and training it. I used it 4 times in the match (AHG).

1) sap-cap nullification and a very confused operative after he burned his vanish to no avail and feebly tried to run off as I nuked his face

2) healer kill- led to wiping them mid

3) healer kill- led to us wiping them mid again

4) trolling a mara at the very end

This ability is a game-changer, and after only 4 uses is now my favorite ability in the game.

Electronet is the ultimate healer killing tool, if nothing else that alone makes us valuable to a ranked team. If a vanguard/shadow pulls a healer into our ranks and the commando nets him, he will most likely go down unless the other team has a VERY good second healer, tank, and cc. I just wish the cooldown was shorter, more often than not I end up wasting that shot on some annoying smasher who still thinks i'm free lunch.

As much as I love this ability, too short a cooldown would just be unfair. There's a difference between "unbalanced" and "unfair", and this ability is powerful enough to fall on the "unfair" side if it is too readily available.

I mean, what other abilities in the game are closer to "I WIN" buttons than Electro-net right now, if used properly? Guarded by the Force? The agent/smuggler's aoe mezz? The 'slinger/sniper aoe shield? Inspiration/blood-whatever (15% damage/healing boost)? Transcendence/predation?

Keep in mind that this is a single-target ability. Some of the examples you mention are AoEs, often effecting the entire opposite team. Also, as a kiting tool it works well for 1v1, but obviously not so much versus more than 1 melee opponent, or one immediately following the other. I've also noticed some players adapting very quickly - freezing in place or LoSing to wait it out. However, I agree that Electronet + Hold the Line changes things immensely for Commando players. They give us a fighting chance, and a chance to participate fully as team members. Edited by klham

As much as I love this ability, too short a cooldown would just be unfair. There's a difference between "unbalanced" and "unfair", and this ability is powerful enough to fall on the "unfair" side if it is too readily available.

I mean, what other abilities in the game are closer to "I WIN" buttons than Electro-net right now, if used properly? Guarded by the Force? The agent/smuggler's aoe mezz? The 'slinger/sniper aoe shield? Inspiration/blood-whatever (15% damage/healing boost)? Transcendence/predation?

AoE mezz has a 60 second cooldown, Inspiration has a 5 minute cooldown but is mostly used for boss fights due to the cooldown. Transcendence has no cooldown and can be used whenever the sentinel has 30 centering. Force Camo (escape ability) has a 45 second cooldown. Guarded by the Force has a 90 second cooldown naturally, but the 2 piece Sentinel PVP set bonus reduces that by 15 seconds and smash spec can talent into a further 30 seconds of reduction bringing it down to 45 second cooldown.

I'm not saying we should have our net up every 10 seconds, but asking for a 60s cooldown instead of 90s would be a pretty sizable boost. Especially because people can use their CC break to get back their leaps/stealths/speed boosts.

Yeah, I agree that the cooldown should ideally be 60 seconds or less (perhaps with a skill tree option to reduce to 45s).

Still, when you don't need it defensively, you can troll the heck out of people with it ;)

Lol@ getting an actually great tool FOR ONCE as a commando and complain it has too long a cool down. EN is an ability that shouldn't be used for no reason and it pretty much guarantees a kill when used by me in WZ's.

This isn't a skill to peel a DPS off a healer, or to use to solo someone for no reason. It is one of the single most important tools for an entire WZ. So the skill isn't that you get a kill, the skill is getting the RIGHT kill.

Lol@ getting an actually great tool FOR ONCE as a commando and complain it has too long a cool down. EN is an ability that shouldn't be used for no reason and it pretty much guarantees a kill when used by me in WZ's.

This isn't a skill to peel a DPS off a healer, or to use to solo someone for no reason. It is one of the single most important tools for an entire WZ. So the skill isn't that you get a kill, the skill is getting the RIGHT kill.

It's an amazing ability, but asking for a right kill every minute isn't asking a lot I don't think. Additionally you'll note that quite a lot of PVP specs put their trinkets on a 90s cooldown, the same cooldown as Electronet. This makes the ability way too easy to counter with the current cooldown. The cooldown also forces a bit of indecision which is unnecessary. Do you use it for the important kill now? Might an even more important kill come in 30 seconds?

No I think 60s adds a lot more flexibility with it.

It's an amazing ability, but asking for a right kill every minute isn't asking a lot I don't think. Additionally you'll note that quite a lot of PVP specs put their trinkets on a 90s cooldown, the same cooldown as Electronet. This makes the ability way too easy to counter with the current cooldown. The cooldown also forces a bit of indecision which is unnecessary. Do you use it for the important kill now? Might an even more important kill come in 30 seconds?

No I think 60s adds a lot more flexibility with it.

One HUGE problem with your logic, if some one used their trinket on a slow (still taking the damage BTW) without a full resolve bar they will be a free kill anyways. Electronet on a 90 second CD is perfectly fine, stop asking for more because you can't use your tools at a proper time.

Electro Net

Instant

Energy: 8

Cooldown: 90s

Range: 30 m

Fires an electro net that ensnares the target, reducing its movement speed by 50% and dealing 1758 energy damage over 9 seconds. The damage dealt by the electro net increases by 20% for every second that the target remains moving. This effect stacks up to 10 times on enemy players or up to 5 times on any other target. Additionally, the electro net hinders the target, preventing the use of high mobility actions and escapes such as charges, vanishes, and speed boosts. Lasts 9 seconds.

I dont really understand why it stacks 10 times for every second they remain moving but only lasts 9??? Plus i've never really actually seen this ability stack. There is no number on the ability icon that shows its stacks

One HUGE problem with your logic, if some one used their trinket on a slow (still taking the damage BTW) without a full resolve bar they will be a free kill anyways. Electronet on a 90 second CD is perfectly fine, stop asking for more because you can't use your tools at a proper time.

It's not just using their trinket on a slow. It's using their trinket on an ability which prevents them from leaping, sprinting, or stealthing. That's the huge utility in electronet, not the slow.

Electro Net

Instant

Energy: 8

Cooldown: 90s

Range: 30 m

Fires an electro net that ensnares the target, reducing its movement speed by 50% and dealing 1758 energy damage over 9 seconds. The damage dealt by the electro net increases by 20% for every second that the target remains moving. This effect stacks up to 10 times on enemy players or up to 5 times on any other target. Additionally, the electro net hinders the target, preventing the use of high mobility actions and escapes such as charges, vanishes, and speed boosts. Lasts 9 seconds.

I dont really understand why it stacks 10 times for every second they remain moving but only lasts 9??? Plus i've never really actually seen this ability stack. There is no number on the ability icon that shows its stacks

It doesn't have a stack on their debuff bar, but let me assure you that it absolutely does more damage the more they know. It's easy to see the difference in damage, especially if they move for more than a few seconds. Watching 1600 crit ticks of electronet is hilarious.

It's not just using their trinket on a slow. It's using their trinket on an ability which prevents them from leaping, sprinting, or stealthing. That's the huge utility in electronet, not the slow.

This is not what i was saying. What i was talking about was the fact that you just wasted your trinket with out having full resolve, because a competent team will just stun lock you to death since you wasted it on nothing. I don't know about you but when i did arena in WOW, popping a trinket on a slow is not a good idea. There was always something more important then that.

This is not what i was saying. What i was talking about was the fact that you just wasted your trinket with out having full resolve, because a competent team will just stun lock you to death since you wasted it on nothing. I don't know about you but when i did arena in WOW, popping a trinket on a slow is not a good idea. There was always something more important then that.

Since electronet's entire draw is that it essentially turns you into a free kill, yes there is very much a good reason to use your trinket. All of this is situational of course, but there are definitely situations where it would behoove you to use trinket on enet so you can get back your leaps or sprints or combat stealth.

Besides, if you're ON a competent team, being chain stunned is not a guaranteed death in the same way, and often the times it is, using your trinket is a useless gesture anyway.

A Merc used Electronet on me the other day, i tried to use my covered escape to run out because i was about to die. And die i did. Nothing breaks Electronet right? You can not vanish, roll, scamper, force charge, force camo, sprint your way out of it. How about if the enemy Extricates him or the juggernaut intercedes out?

I think 30 seconds on this ability is too much! It deals damage as well b ut i do not know how much. 60 seconds sounds like a sweet spot :)

Edited by paowee