Missile Blast now viable for 2.0?

TyrKartelos

So you're saying you do not have a max level mercenary? And you are posting here because?

try reading my post. I haven't been playing since forever like alot of you guys so I don't have one from back when it was good, merc has sucked since I started playing this game. It was the first class I made but I deleted it after learning more about it from other players. I like the class and I have wanted to play it and do well with it in pvp and rated pvp but from all the information I have gathered, it has been one of the worst dps class for a very long time. I have learned enough about the class to know it sucked for pvp pre 2.0 and still could use work afterwards. there are alot of 50 merc who have always maintained that merc is fine for pvp and tell others to learn2play, just because you have a 50 does not mean you know alot about your class and they are a prime example and just because you can do good with a bad class does not mean the class does not need to be buffed... I will have a 50 merc probally within 2 weeks judging from how long it took me to get my other 50s. I wanted the class buffed so that I could main it and do serious pvp but now I will just make one 55 and just play sniper and other character until it gets buffed enough to where its wanted on rated pvp teams.

Edited by MarkXXIV

try reading my post. I haven't been playing since forever like alot of you guys so I don't have one from back when it was good, merc has sucked since I started playing this game. It was the first class I made but I deleted it after learning more about it from other players. I like the class and I have wanted to play it and do well with it in pvp and rated pvp but from all the information I have gathered, it has been one of the worst dps class for a very long time. I have learned enough about the class to know it sucked for pvp pre 2.0 and still could use work afterwards. there are alot of 50 merc who have always maintained that merc is fine for pvp and tell others to learn2play, just because you have a 50 does not mean you know alot about your class and they are a prime example and just because you can do good with a bad class does not mean the class does not need to be buffed... I will have a 50 merc probally within 2 weeks judging from how long it took me to get my other 50s. I wanted the class buffed so that I could main it and do serious pvp but now I will just make one 55 and just play sniper and other character until it gets buffed enough to where its wanted on rated pvp teams.

I did read your post. Your post essentially says "I have no experience to back up the things I say". You could of not included that and just bull******* your way thru the conversation, you would have more credibility that way. That's just a life lesson there.

If we are talking about temporarily hitting a secondary target and then switching back to primary, wouldn't it just be best to use IM on the secondary target since it does more damage even when you factor in CGC on the Missile Blast?

Yes, you can do a quickie target switch with IM. In fact I did that a lot in 1.7. But IM has a longer tail and more of its damage it vulnerable to being cleansed. Missile Salvo does more immediate damage. Total damage is roughly similar between the two. Now if you have a longer window for target switching AND you really have heat capacity to spare you could use both IM & Salvo on a secondary target. But those situations are few and far between.

As far as Merc Pyro rotation (PvP), I use Rail Shot like people in Chicago vote - early and often. IM - Rapid Shots - Rail Shot - Unload - Rail Shot if possible. Sooner it gets used, the sooner it cools down. Power Shot never enters the rotation. Ever. Using Rapid Shots to refresh CGC isn't bad. You need it to control heat anyway. While you are darting in and out, drop a Kolto Missile on your teammates when you are near them

Edited by Macroeconomics

:rak_02:

thats funny, the merc forum must be full of troll threads to you then huh? It must be one big troll, merc is fine guys mybad sorry about that. Ima go get mine level 50 now and go get a rwz team because every rwz team needs a merc! Brb dropping my sniper for a merc because merc are way better than sniper in every way possible...

Its a game that some of us care about and some of us like the merc class and some of us want it to be a good pvp class. powertech is an example of a good pvp class(hopefully it doesn't suck after the 2.0 nerf). If you say its just a game and you don't care what happens in it, then why are you even posting? Alot of us including myself care and thats why we still play this game and why we use the forums...

Fyi this is a proper troll http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=617025

Its not a troll wondering if it might be 2014 or 2015 before mercs pvp issues are resolved. its been 6months+ and not much has changed.

You have a level 30? Are you serious man? Why are you here...it appears you love complaining. Go to a class forum where you actually have some experience at the class at max level and cry over there. I swear complaining is literally a meta game to some of you people. It's so weird. 2.0 was just released, and people are just getting into the flow. Are you angry because you can't turret TM spam at sub 50 WZ's?. I don't get how you can have issues with a class you haven't even played at 50.

I had a merc but im not stupid enough to level it to 50.( i started this game about a month ago merc has sucked since long before I started playing, I have a life and haven't had time to level a class that is worthless for serious pvp). You say merc is fine? Tell that to the other 50 merc and people doing ranked war zone. I don't care about pve, pve is easymode, and I play on a pvp server. Endgame is all about pvp for me and probally most players(at least on my server). I don't want merc to suck it is probally my favorite class and I would like it to be as good as powertech is pre 2.0 but merc is probally the worst pvp class in the game its really not that hard to figure out. This is how I found out merc sucks for pvp.

-No serious team is taking merc to ranked warzone

-Merc have by far the most pvp complaints in the forums

-Just comparing it to other classes myself(skills/trees, what other classes say about themselves)

-Compare it to sniper and compare the sniper threads to the merc threads. Its pretty depressing even though I have a 50 sniper.

-Talked to players who have experience with merc in level 50 warzones( most 50 merc will tell you the class is bad for pvp, not because they don't like the class but because it sucks, they admit it, and they want something done about it).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548897

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=615624

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=617025

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=154657

Tell these people that merc is fine for pvp... People like you confusing the devs is probally the reason why merc will never be rwz viable ever again. Thanks to people like you confusing the devs I have a 50 sniper now instead of a merc... I doubt merc will be fixed in 2.0 but if powertech is no longer as strong as it is now, then I will roll a merc since I like the class slighty more than powertech and I need the legacy skills anyway.

Wow, tons of complaints about a class with ZERO facts or even mechanic experience to back it up. You don't even know why "merc sux" beyond getting owned in a low level WZ. You're bad...sounds like a l2p issue. Your opinions are literally worthless.

Edited by mindriot

Wow, tons of complaints about a class with ZERO facts or even mechanic experience to back it up. You don't even know why "merc sux" beyond getting owned in a low level WZ. You're bad...sounds like a l2p issue. Your opinions are literally worthless.

Regardless of the way the person you responded to formed his opinion, it really isn't controversial to say that Mercs suck for pvp. Bodyguards are the worst of the three healers for pvp. Merc Pyro is hands down the worst pvp subclass in the game. And Arsenal is mediocre at best. No one disputes this. Except the devs and a couple of trolls.

Think of it this way. If someone who doesn't like watching movies and saw only the first 15 minutes of "Battlefield Earth" says it is a horrible movie, then their methodology might be suspect, but their conclusion is definitely right. LOL.

Regardless of the way the person you responded to formed his opinion, it really isn't controversial to say that Mercs suck for pvp. Bodyguards are the worst of the three healers for pvp. Merc Pyro is hands down the worst pvp subclass in the game. And Arsenal is mediocre at best. No one disputes this. Except the devs and a couple of trolls.

Think of it this way. If someone who doesn't like watching movies and saw only the first 15 minutes of "Battlefield Earth" says it is a horrible movie, then their methodology might be suspect, but their conclusion is definitely right. LOL.

I think the issue that people were having with his posts was that someone merely asked a question about Missile Blast and he expressed his opinion on how bad Merc is. I starts to get old when we can't have a Merc topic without someone saying we suck (which we are all already aware of). I got all heated too earlier in the thread but I'm over it, it was just slightly de-railing at the time.

Char name: Scareface

Server: The Bastion

Level: 55

Skill Tree-Arsenal

My first character, and my main since launch. Arsenal tree has its faults but I top the dps charts or else im always top 3 (300k-450k on average) if im not defending pylons. I can understand the complaints or "lack" of dmg but this class is a LOS class. It's all about run and gun tactics.

ANYONE that is good at this class knows what I'm talking about. Now with decoy, elect. net, hydralic overrides, I DONT DIE especially with a good healer.

This guy is trippin with not even lvling one up to max level.

O yeah, I did rated WZ 5 nights a week prior to Makeb.

NOW with that being said, missile blast is only used to stop caps on voidstar cuz of aoe dmg, maybe hypergate if targets r close together. Other than that M.B. isn't worth it cuz of heat cost imo

Edited by Kingrami

Well there you have it, if you need it for snare then that's what it is. For arsenal tree spec maybe used for killing blow? like you would uppercut? other than that in my rotation for arsenal spec I don't use it unless for options I stated above

Yes I think we have found the bottom line lol. Its definitely not Arsenal friendly. For Pyro it also comes with additional damage via a 100% proc....so its basically a totally different ability.

Arsenal: Minimal Damage, easily duplicated by all other attacks

Pyro: Medium Damage due to Proc, in addition to a snare effect

Well there you have it, if you need it for snare then that's what it is

Dubious. Below is the thread about CGC snare not behaving as expected. Anyway, why not just proc CGC with Rapid Shots for free? The proc rate is higher now but the damage is much lower. The snare isn't being reliably applied.

Pyro 2.0 is truly disappointing. I've gone Arsenal for now.

Check out this thread about Pyro snare

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=622439

Edited by darklen
Add link

Darklen is correct. Missile Salvo for Merc Pyro is not an ability you will want to utilize except in extremely limited circumstances. Merc Pyro is one of the few subclasses that still needs to watch its resource stack. Spending 25 heat to use Missile Salvo when Rapid Shots has a 95+% chance to proc CGC is foolish. Except that now, BW has nerfed CGC's ability to pass through the snare. Which means that Merc Pyro can't effectively snare a target for a longer combat sequence without spending 25 heat. It's a hidden secondary nerf to the primary nerf they dropped on CGC. Merc Pyro is hands down the worst subclass in the game for PvP.

• 3 weeks later...

I love playing my Merc and love the SW universe, unfortunately was never an MMO player IL2 in single mode so this has been a loooong uphill. I was stoked when 2.0 came out and switched to pyro just because wanted mobility, never use missile blast as pyro if you want to keep your heat manageable.

As arsenal, the heat is more manageable and missile blast is kinda like sorcers lightning storm. It is painful to see it hitting you and distracting. It can be fired while moving (i think) which is good for arsenal. It is harder to break the target lock by those rabbit hopping classes. But the only good time is when 5 kill greedy folks jump you after getting everyone else and you can not work in a good rotation. Just hit, hit, hit and it is just fun and obnoxious with some stun/slow/aoe limited effects that may pay off.

So in short use it it when obviously dying to blow off steam

It also with the right skill will instantly trigger combustible gas cylinder if you use Pyrotech, which then grants all the perks you get when it is triggered. So it now has more use than it did, but remember, it has high heat and relatively low damage in comparison to other attacks.

One thing I am not clear on: does the Missile Salvo fire up CGC on all targets damaged by the blast (in which case I can definitely see a use for it when enemies bunch up) or only the 'primary' target?

At the moment I haven't even got it on my toolbar and didn't spend the 2 pts to talent it, but if it does light up all enemies damaged I'll probably reconsider.

I think most people on these forums would agree that nothing but complete ******** spews from Macroeconomics. If you're going to spend time talking out of you're *** on the Merc forums, at least get knowledge of the class so you'll have just a smidgen of credibility.

I think most people on these forums would agree that nothing but complete ******** spews from Macroeconomics. If you're going to spend time talking out of you're *** on the Merc forums, at least get knowledge of the class so you'll have just a smidgen of credibility.

Ah, the personal attacks with no substantive response to anything I've said. Which is predictable since you don't have anything to counter what I have said and you are just emoting. I could go with the "U mad bro?", but instead I think I'll let your venting speak volumes for itself.