how long to install?

dizzystorm

I just did a new install from the three dvd-rom pack. But I needed to do the updates, which was about 4 gigabytes worth, which took the better part of 2 days by the time I got done. I was moving data at a top speed of 150KB/sec over a DSL line that is SUPPOSED to run downloads at T-1 speeds (1.544) but never gets that fast. My computer is a very fast and capable alienware, but the choke point is the internet connection.

I also ran into a hang when the system tried installing the second set of updates (about a gigabytes) and wound up having to download an updated launcher.exe before it would work. Everything is working fine now, but it was a pretty long grind to get there.

I originally was going to try to download the entire game, but the math showed it would take well over 10 days if everything went perfectly, so I bought the dvd-set.

I just did a new install from the three dvd-rom pack. But I needed to do the updates, which was about 4 gigabytes worth, which took the better part of 2 days by the time I got done. I was moving data at a top speed of 150KB/sec over a DSL line that is SUPPOSED to run downloads at T-1 speeds (1.544) but never gets that fast. My computer is a very fast and capable alienware, but the choke point is the internet connection.

1.5 megabits/sec (nominal T-1 bandwidth) generally works out to around 160 kilobytes/sec after accounting for transmission overhead, so your d/l rate is not too far from what can be expected.

4 GB at 150 kB/s takes around 7.5 hours. A full 25 GB game d/l is in the neighborhood of 2 days.

I've a rock sold 8 meg connection and it took about 6 hours in total.

It would be nice if the installer tested your connection and give an estimate of the download and install time rather than just saying nothing!

People could at least start it last thing and leave it running...

1.5 megabits/sec (nominal T-1 bandwidth) generally works out to around 160 kilobytes/sec after accounting for transmission overhead, so your d/l rate is not too far from what can be expected.

4 GB at 150 kB/s takes around 7.5 hours. A full 25 GB game d/l is in the neighborhood of 2 days.

If only the connection behaved and paid attention to the math. The 150KB/s is the fastest I saw, but the connection was often at less than half that, in the 60KB/s range. In real-world terms it still took me 2 days to get the thing up and running properly. I kind of dread patch days because you never know what they're going to throw at you the next day.

If you are installing to a 2nd machine, it may be much faster to copy the files from one machine to another. After the setup runs to install core libraries (like ActiveX and the launcher) you can cancel the download. Everything you need is in the directory on your other machine and on the server. Simply copy the directory over your network or use an external disk drive. When you log into the new machine, it will patch it to the current level. Edited by BebeLeBozo