April 9th to April 14th

bbare

If you are like me, you were a bit late getting the pre-order for the expansion. I was wondering exactly what will be available for me during those 5 days where the expansion is open to people who pre-ordered on time, but not for those who didn't. Its obvious I won't be able to level or visit Makeb, but will crafting be available? What exactly is included in the digital expansion that isn't included in the update? Any information will be helpful.

its a fair question actually, 2 goes live on the 9th but makeb goes live on the 14th for those who didn't get early access. Now my current allocation of skill points gives me the top tier talent, say on my scoundrel I get Flechette round, afaik this is not available to me for the same number of points in 2 so I wont have it until I get levelling to 55. Which is to be fair all fine and expected, except that I cant level until the 14th, again that was expected but not the two things together.

In effect, unless I am wrong, non early access are gimped by not being able to level to 55 until the 14th because 2 launches for everyone on the 9th. It feels to me like this is more poor design and implementation planning and in effect I might as well not bother with my 50's until the 14th.

Obviously everyone is in the same boat for those 5 days so its not the end of the world, I guess all skill points will be reset on the 9th and we will just have to respec them to fill in until 55

Edited by Illyean

Nothing, the game will be the same in till April 14th :cool:

This. The patch won't be downloadable for non early access players until the 14th. I guess you'll be able the buy crafted gear from early access players though.

where do they say 2.0 WONT be available on the 9th? how will two different combat mechanic engines and skill trees co-exist together at the same time if pre-orders are on 2.0/Makeb and non pre-orders are on 1.7.3 - simply will not work.

This. The patch won't be downloadable for non early access players until the 14th. I guess you'll be able the buy crafted gear from early access players though.

I assume it'll be more along the lines of everyone downloads it, but only the early access people are able to access the new things. Otherwise there would have to be double servers, one without the update and one with it. (Because early access items wouldn't even be recognized on the computer of someone who hasn't downloaded the update, and thus if you saw someone level 55 with new gear your game would wig out or crash, or something?)

where do they say 2.0 WONT be available on the 9th? how will two different combat mechanic engines and skill trees co-exist together at the same time if pre-orders are on 2.0/Makeb and non pre-orders are on 1.7.3 - simply will not work.

This is what I'm wondering. I've never been in an MMO with early access updates, so I'm wondering how it works.

Edited by Pingonaut

I assume it'll be more along the lines of everyone downloads it, but only the early access people are able to access the new things. Otherwise there would have to be double servers, one without the update and one with it. (Because early access items wouldn't even be recognized on the computer of someone who hasn't downloaded the update, and thus if you saw someone level 55 with new gear your game would wig out or crash, or something?)

This is what I'm wondering. I've never been in an MMO with early access updates, so I'm wondering how it works.

Good point. Glad I have early access I can't wait for rothc

Hmm... We need a yellow response here!

I believe it's 2.0 since it's Tuesday (patch times) and it will include new ops, crafting and all the updates. However Makeb will not be open (just like on 2.0) to people who did not pre-order on time.

My speculations.

I believe that 14th will open up Makeb for everyone and update the cartel shop. Please, tell me you're gonna update cartel shop on 9th - I am really excited about Jolee Bindo's armor and I want to wear it on Makeb for epic cinematic experience :)

I love this game.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Don't forget, you don't have to actually BUY the XPAC to play TOR. It's optional to extend your game, there will HAVE to be a way for people who did not purchase the XPAC to still play even after April 14th.

Perhaps everyone will download the patch (w/ XPAC included), but be locked down in the same way F2P is, unless they purchase the XPAC.

Edited by JettZor

Don't forget, you don't have to actually BUY the XPAC to play TOR. It's optional to extend your game, there will HAVE to be a way for people who did not purchase the XPAC to still play even after April 14th.

Perhaps everyone will download the patch (w/ XPAC included), but be locked down in the same way F2P is, unless they purchase the XPAC.

everyone can continue playing but unless you have purchased Makeb you will not be able to level to 55 and have no access to the new content that has been set to level 55, you will remain capped at level 50.

everyone can continue playing but unless you have purchased Makeb you will not be able to level to 55 and have no access to the new content that has been set to level 55, you will remain capped at level 50.

Like I said, limited in the same fashion as F2P, you know, "if you buy the XPAC you can do this" etc

Since the XPAC is techincally optional, XPAC people and non-XPAC people will have to coexist even after April 9th to 14th though.

Edited by JettZor

Yeah, I know, like I said, limited in the same fashion as F2P, you know, "if you buy the XPAC you can do this" etc. People were saying "how would it coexist between April 9th to 14th" and I'm saying it will have to coexist even after that, since the XPAC is technically optional.

yeah I dont think there is any issue as such, fr what i have read they have covered it. My only gripe (and a minor one) was that when everyone resets their skills on the 9th when 2 goes live their lvl 50 point budget wont get them what it does today, probably swings and roundabouts though and only for 5 days.

yeah I dont think there is any issue as such, fr what i have read they have covered it. My only gripe (and a minor one) was that when everyone resets their skills on the 9th when 2 goes live their lvl 50 point budget wont get them what it does today, probably swings and roundabouts though and only for 5 days.

Yeah there has to be a way for them to resolve that, because they have to have a viable spec for non-XPACers (those stuck at 50).

As far as I understand all the different posts by yellows that I saw in the dev tracker, everyone gets the 2.0 update, which contains some updates for lvl 50 players, and the early access guys get to go to the content beyond 50, which is makeb, the new ops, and the new hardmodes.

I could be wrong, this is just how I understood it.

fairly sure you'd still be able to get your max level talent at 50, considering the numbers, you just won't be able to go much into other 2 trees.

that said - on the ninth, everyone will have their coms converted, skill trees reset, vendors changed etc - things like that. but access to new content will be restricted, in a similar fashion to section x for f2p players that didn't purchase unlock. you just won't be able to fly there - might not see an option to fly there.

fairly sure you'd still be able to get your max level talent at 50, considering the numbers, you just won't be able to go much into other 2 trees.

yeah its this, can max a tree by the look of it but wont be able to pick from others

Hmm... well, I think we have a partial yellow answer. I'll link it as soon as I find it. But in short, Eric summarized it this way. Everyone will get patch 2.0. That update is a general release. It is the framework for Makeb but not Makeb itself. So.... the Xpac will be locked and so will the leveling to 55. But the other improvements are for all players.

So... I would venture to guess... that means that everyone will download the patch and content on the 9th. And for those that dont' have early access, you will at least be able to do a few things like work on achievements, setup your skill tree, work through the new commendation system etc. etc. while you wait.

It will be madness on the fleet. :D

They've answered this a dozen times already:

Everyone gets 2.0 on Tuesday. Everyone. That's just the game mechanics update. Extra abilities, gear changes, comm changes, achievements, etc. Everyone gets that.

Access to Makeb and the ability to level beyond 50 is only for those who have purchased the expansion. That will include some gear that requires higher levels and the upper level of warzone matches.

If you pre-ordered, you get your "I purchased Makeb" flag set early. Otherwise it gets set on the 14th. It probably works the exact same way access to Section X does. Actually, the release of Section X was probably a trial-run for their expansion pack gating mechanism.

Edited by Malastare

If you are like me, you were a bit late getting the pre-order for the expansion. I was wondering exactly what will be available for me during those 5 days where the expansion is open to people who pre-ordered on time, but not for those who didn't. Its obvious I won't be able to level or visit Makeb, but will crafting be available? What exactly is included in the digital expansion that isn't included in the update? Any information will be helpful.

Presumably you'll have everything available yo you that you currently have with the exception of things like WZ bracket changes. But in general it should pretty much be what you have now.