Goodbye TOR

Sippix

I've had an active subscription since December 17, 2011, and it was fun while it lasted. However, I just don't enjoy the content you have to offer any more. Too many persistent bugs, corporate mismanagement, and lack of cross-server queues has made the domination of the same pool of people for months on end a real bore. I just don't see the point in playing since competitive pvp is in a really bad place, and the 18-month-old GCD bug doesn't help. Every hard mode Operation is one-shottable (in one night), and nightmare mode does nothing to enhance the experience over hard mode - it's just a gear check, instead of a skill check.

Thank you, Bioware, for allowing F2P to inflate your population numbers while allowing people to have an option to contribute absolutely nothing to the game other than their ignorance and lack of skill. The dominant player mentality of, "I just don't see all these bugs you complain about," just goes to show the lack of insight, awareness and experience the game population has to offer. The average skill level of players is sub-par (compared to the 4 other AAA MMO's I've played long-term over the last 15 years) for every aspect of this game. I know how a large majority of players like to think their really good, but mostly...they're just awful. I honestly just sit back and laugh at players 80% of the time when I'm playing...that's how awful.

Get over the pretty graphics rendered by an engine that is so poorly optimized for MMOs that there will never be massive (40+) player battles of any sort (PVE or PVP). Try putting more than 30 players on the screen and watch your game turn to a slide show from ability animations going off from each player, player position tracking, and player status tracking (damage, healing, buffs, debuffs). That's why they took out the Ilum World PVP scenario - it had nothing to do with the mechanics being imbalanced - it was because people with even the best SLI/Xfire rigs couldn't display more than 5-10 FPS. Hell, why do you think Fleet is so laggy? And you're not even tracking 90% of the data that would be necessary while in combat.

The fact that almost no one remains on the development team from launch just goes to show how ridiculous Bioware is with their mismanagement of resources and assets. Hell, even two Bioware founders, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, left Bioware as things declined substantially in TOR during early summer 2012. Sorry to burst your bubble, fanboys, but Bioware is now just a mediocre subsidiary of Electronic Arts that made a mediocre MMO on the coat tails of a massively successful franchise.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol EAWare should care. They're losing another OT customer, just like they did with Urael. They've lost so many OT customers. THey will lose more if they continue down the path of nickel and diming.

If a person plays for a year and a half, that is fine. Forums users rarely realize how much churn there is in these games. People come and they go. It is no indictment on the game. I played EQ 2 on and off for years. Never felt the need to post an overwrought break-up letter when I left.

You are correct, EA should care. They should be proud that a player enjoyed their game for well over a year.

I've had an active subscription since December 17, 2011, and it was fun while it lasted. However, I just don't enjoy the content you have to offer any more. Too many persistent bugs, corporate mismanagement, and lack of cross-server queues has made the domination of the same pool of people for months on end a real bore. I just don't see the point in playing since competitive pvp is in a really bad place, and the 18-month-old GCD bug doesn't help. Every hard mode Operation is one-shottable (in one night), and nightmare mode does nothing to enhance the experience over hard mode - it's just a gear check, instead of a skill check.

Thank you, Bioware, for allowing F2P to inflate your population numbers while allowing people to have an option to contribute absolutely nothing to the game other than their ignorance and lack of skill. The dominant player mentality of, "I just don't see all these bugs you complain about," just goes to show the lack of insight, awareness and experience the game population has to offer. The average skill level of players is sub-par (compared to the 4 other AAA MMO's I've played long-term over the last 15 years) for every aspect of this game. I know how a large majority of players like to think their really good, but mostly...they're just awful. I honestly just sit back and laugh at players 80% of the time when I'm playing...that's how awful.

Get over the pretty graphics rendered by an engine that is so poorly optimized for MMOs that there will never be massive (40+) player battles of any sort (PVE or PVP). Try putting more than 30 players on the screen and watch your game turn to a slide show from ability animations going off from each player, player position tracking, and player status tracking (damage, healing, buffs, debuffs). That's why they took out the Ilum World PVP scenario - it had nothing to do with the mechanics being imbalanced - it was because people with even the best SLI/Xfire rigs couldn't display more than 5-10 FPS. Hell, why do you think Fleet is so laggy? And you're not even tracking 90% of the data that would be necessary while in combat.

The fact that almost no one remains on the development team from launch just goes to show how ridiculous Bioware is with their mismanagement of resources and assets. Hell, even two Bioware founders, Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, left Bioware as things declined substantially in TOR during early summer 2012. Sorry to burst your bubble, fanboys, but Bioware is now just a mediocre subsidiary of Electronic Arts that made a mediocre MMO on the coat tails of a massively successful franchise.

Really well done post. i feel the same but I think I'll give it 2-3 months post new xpac. If by then, these same issues are present, wow/eve are still sub'd lol

You are correct, EA should care. They should be proud that a player enjoyed their game for well over a year.

Maybe. Or maybe they should feel disappointed in themselves that, in this case, they got a fraction of the retention rate successful MMOs have. Or maybe a bit of both.

Bottom line, however, is that EA probably cares not one whit about JoeThePlayer leaving. Instead, they care that they won't be getting his $15/month any more and now have dead nuts zero chance of getting anything extra via RMT from him. They care deeply about that money, and the change from 100% chance to get $15/month and >0% chance to get additional $ via RMT to 0% chance at both has to resonate on some level. Especially as the JoeThePlayer's multiply. Or, divide, I guess.

I agree with a lot of things the OP mentioned.

It says a lot about the community though when all people can think of is leaving snarky comments and supposedly witty farewells.

Well done. ...

It's an admittedly nonsensical reaction to a nonsensical thread, imo.

People seem to think others need to hear why they are leaving (and always in new threads, because the thread about unsubscribing is apparently never good enough) and those that still play the game have a knee-jerk reaction that's considered "cool" by internet standards.

It's an admittedly nonsensical reaction to a nonsensical thread, imo.

People seem to think others need to hear why they are leaving (and always in new threads, because the thread about unsubscribing is apparently never good enough) and those that still play the game have a knee-jerk reaction that's considered "cool" by internet standards.

If that is cool (by what standard anyway?), I don't wanna be cool.

If that is cool (by what standard anyway?), I don't wanna be cool.

Neither do I. I'm just trying to explain to you why this happens and that both sides are wrong.

And also: by 9-gag/Reddit Internet era standards

Edited by TheNahash

Maybe. Or maybe they should feel disappointed in themselves that, in this case, they got a fraction of the retention rate successful MMOs have. Or maybe a bit of both.

Bottom line, however, is that EA probably cares not one whit about JoeThePlayer leaving. Instead, they care that they won't be getting his $15/month any more and now have dead nuts zero chance of getting anything extra via RMT from him. They care deeply about that money, and the change from 100% chance to get $15/month and >0% chance to get additional $ via RMT to 0% chance at both has to resonate on some level. Especially as the JoeThePlayer's multiply. Or, divide, I guess.

Considering they have over 2million new accts since f2p and are making money hand over fist off the hybrid model, people come and go, no mmo developer is going to cry over it.

I agree with a lot of things the OP mentioned.

It says a lot about the community though when all people can think of is leaving snarky comments and supposedly witty farewells.

Well done. ...

People like the OP (good post or not) are simply perceived as attention whores looking for sympaathy thinking the community will miss them and seem to think the community cares about Moe Player leaving when BioWare as most companies have a feedback field when you unsub to tell them why you unsubbed eliminating any necessity to make a thread about it. Also these threads tend to lead to flame wars and get locked pre-emptively.

Considering they have over 2million new accts since f2p and are making money hand over fist off the hybrid model, people come and go, no mmo developer is going to cry over it.

One of your statements might be a fact. The other is clearly an assumption.

And the fact may or may not be relevant. Sure, they've had 2 million new accounts created. How many of them are logged in for at least one consecutive hour per week? How does that number change week to week? That's telling.

Anyone can make a new account for nothing more than 3 minutes of time. Don't even (currently) need an email address. The number of new accounts only means that some number of people (probably below 2 million) spent 3 minutes each creating an account. Since you only get 2 toons per account, well, anyone that wants to try more than 2 classes but won't spend money to do it will create more than 1 account, right?

Making money hand-over-fist? Well, show me anything concrete said by anyone who would know it's a FACT (read: anyone working for EA [besides Andrayah]) that they're making a tidy profit on this game. You might want to check out the quarterly reports that EA is required to produce as a publicly traded company. But you won't find specific data on this game in there. It's obfuscated.

Top that off with the fact that a subscriber is leaving - they're losing guaranteed money plus a MUCH higher chance at add on money (because it's far more likely to get money from people who've shown they're willing to pay [subscribers] than those who've shown they aren't [f2p]) - and... what was your point again?

Edited by DarthTHC

The only exception I take to this thread is the elitist attitude of the poster in thinking that there is something wrong with attracting new players to a game. You had a "day 1" on this (and other) games as well, so please practice a little tolerance and maybe even assume the role of mentor to those willing to glean your wisdom.

I very much agree about the graphics issues with large groups. I also wouldn't play this game if it wasn't so pretty (as I enjoy the story/content), so I can accept the trade-off for now. When things aren't perfect, it is good not to be a hardcore gamer. :)

Good luck to you as you move on. Hopefully this game's shortcomings will be addressed to the benefit of us all.

One of your statements might be a fact. The other is clearly an assumption.

And the fact may or may not be relevant. Sure, they've had 2 million new accounts created. How many of them are logged in for at least one consecutive hour per week? How does that number change week to week? That's telling.

Anyone can make a new account for nothing more than 3 minutes of time. Don't even (currently) need an email address. The number of new accounts only means that some number of people (probably below 2 million) spent 3 minutes each creating an account. Since you only get 2 toons per account, well, anyone that wants to try more than 2 classes but won't spend money to do it will create more than 1 account, right?

Making money hand-over-fist? Well, show me anything concrete said by anyone who would know it's a FACT (read: anyone working for EA [besides Andrayah]) that they're making a tidy profit on this game. You might want to check out the quarterly reports that EA is required to produce as a publicly traded company. But you won't find specific data on this game in there. It's obfuscated.

Top that off with the fact that a subscriber is leaving - they're losing guaranteed money plus a MUCH higher chance at add on money (because it's far more likely to get money from people who've shown they're willing to pay [subscribers] than those who've shown they aren't [f2p]) - and... what was your point again?

They make more off the f2p than straight subs there's no question about it. F2p restrictions are such that you simply paying for 4 flashpoint, space, warzone, Section X access passes etc brings in more than the $10s a sub pays after the free cartel coins. All you gotta do is look at the cartel market to draw a pretty good estimate of how that's working out for them. How many packs did one person buy to finally get the Revan mask or the thrones , how many incendias are on the market, Nihlus masks. cartel packs. There's people who "claim" to have spent hundreds trying to acquire certain items and got zilch out of it.

If a person plays for a year and a half, that is fine. Forums users rarely realize how much churn there is in these games. People come and they go. It is no indictment on the game. I played EQ 2 on and off for years. Never felt the need to post an overwrought break-up letter when I left.

same here, i never sub eq2 but i played b4 by sony give me a golden month,

i leaved and didnt say anything; (same situation as WoW , i don't even care damn about it)

BTW no 1 bird about EA, old BW staff should be proud, not the EA.