Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

Unfortunately, you missed your chance BW.

By not having Oceanic servers at launch, that means Oceanic players won't change from the US West servers they're on, even if Oceanic servers are designated. There's not incentive, and they'll have already put a lot of effort into their characters. Even if given free transfers for all their characters, there is still no incentive to move once they've established themselves on the server they started on.

The only incentive is if the servers are physically located in Australia... but even that is not good incentive. Most Australians can easily adapt to the small latency issues they have to deal with on West servers. Furthermore, the rest of Oceania doesn't necessarily get better connection to Australia. And because the Oceanic community doesn't want to split itself in half, chances are most Australian guilds/players won't switch (because their other Oceanic neighbors won't).

The better thing to do is just officially designate some servers as Oceanic (at least Harbinger and Swiftsure). It would save you a LOT of time, money, and hassle.

Your kidding right ,as soon as the servers go live here im moving no matter how many chars i get to 50 ,playing with 200 + ping at times is not fun in this game to fully enjoy it you have to have a ping of 60 or less imo ......e.g im playing you think your going to kill the mob or you hit a pot and your allready dead thats just 1 little thing there are plenty of issues playing with a high ping this game needs a low ping to get the full enjoyment..

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, like i mentioned earlier, was so pumped to play this, and have been the last month and a half, and im done i think. Tor is just way to casual for my liking. Was really pumped about aussie servers finally too, now i dont really care 1 bit. Its a shame....

I honestly dont think making servers here is going to be very proffitable for BW, this is not the game gamers where looking for. It will pull some kids and maybe people that have never played video games and like star wars in, but people like myself that seek challenge will be looking toward something else im afraid.....

I want to cry.....

Yea, like i mentioned earlier, was so pumped to play this, and have been the last month and a half, and im done i think. Tor is just way to casual for my liking. Was really pumped about aussie servers finally too, now i dont really care 1 bit. Its a shame....

I honestly dont think making servers here is going to be very proffitable for BW, this is not the game gamers where looking for. It will pull some kids and maybe people that have never played video games and like star wars in, but people like myself that seek challenge will be looking toward something else im afraid.....

I want to cry.....

ROFL go cry some where else really pathetic.

:(

We can confirm that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be launching in Australia and New Zealand in the spring of 2012.

Right now we are targeting March 1st, but that could change as our number one priority is making sure that customers have a great service to play on.

For those of you who may have already imported the game, we will be investigating solutions to allow you to continue to play on a local server once they come online in March.

EDIT: As pointed out, southern hemisphere seasons are reversed! When we say 'Spring' you can substitute 'Q1/Q2 2012'. Apologies for that.

why do I have a feeling this means the harbinger will go from one of the highest to one of the lowest pop servers in a matter of days...lol

why do I have a feeling this means the harbinger will go from one of the highest to one of the lowest pop servers in a matter of days...lol

Well mate why worry about it just go to the server in australia that has all the people from switfsure and hardbinger or just wait and see when the server go live which ones have most people ,,,now if they move those servers from usa to australia its common semse the americans will leave but i cant see them moving servers cause to many americans will blow up complain..

everyone needs to take a chill pill god wait and see what happens .

p.s think before you start your whinging peoples

There are a lot of players on Harbinger that give Australians a bad name. :( It's because of them I re-rolled to a server that has a more...friendly environment to anyone who doesn't happen to be Australian.

Wish they'd gotten their local servers to begin with.

I live in Singapore, South East Asia, and from my past gaming experience, although geographically, we are very much closer to Australia and New Zealand, and even our timezones are closer usually +2/-2 at most +4hrs ,(Perth the same), than compared to the rest of the world, we seem to get better connection to US servers than Oz servers.

I usually get 190-200+ms for US servers, and 200-300+ms for Oceanic servers, mostly australian.So yeah, despite the timezones similarity(as far as compared to the US timezones), I think I would have no choice but to stick to the US one, so I guess Swiftsure it is.

*wave to americans, and the aussies who will stay here*

Edited by VictoireStar

I hope when released officially here that we get local servers.

I've tried a couple of different low population servers and the ping is making the game unplayable.

It swings badly from 250ms to 1000+ms in a second and for no reason i get disconnected.

Remember these are on low population servers not high.

If BW gives us local server(s) with decent ping, i will come back but for now the game is frustratingly unplayable.

Will the current maintenance schedule be kept when the game releases in Oceania? It lands right on a prime time evening/night for us (Tuesday 7pm AEDST onwards).

Many Europeans will be very interested in the answer to this question as well.

This is great news for Aussie and NZ gamers. It's not often we get geographically advantageous servers in worldwide hits like this.

I would like to echo previous posters' sentiments regarding a sub 50ms ping. It would be very much appreciated. I would quite gladly reroll for an even playing field.

I hope when released officially here that we get local servers.

I've tried a couple of different low population servers and the ping is making the game unplayable.

It swings badly from 250ms to 1000+ms in a second and for no reason i get disconnected.

Remember these are on low population servers not high.

If BW gives us local server(s) with decent ping, i will come back but for now the game is frustratingly unplayable.

I'm playing with 200ms on average, which is very playable. Maybe check your isp see if tey have any connection issues. I highly doubt australia will get local servers, look at what happend in WoW where telstra screwed them over so it just ended up being an oceanic tab where the servers were still located in the U.S.

I'm playing with 200ms on average, which is very playable. Maybe check your isp see if tey have any connection issues. I highly doubt australia will get local servers, look at what happend in WoW where telstra screwed them over so it just ended up being an oceanic tab where the servers were still located in the U.S.

Ah, but then Blizzard was approached by another Aussie ISP some years later (inet I think?) and Blizzard said no. Also, EA did have Oceanic based servers for warhammer online, so they would have cost and profitability info already.

Ah, but then Blizzard was approached by another Aussie ISP some years later (inet I think?) and Blizzard said no.

Yeah. A few years back iiNet approached (begged) Blizzard to let iiNet host Australian WoW servers for free, but I think Blizzard decided it wasn't worth the trouble after the whole Telstra thing collapsing at the 11th hour.

I actually work at iiNet on the team that manages our game servers, and I know we have a lot of staff & customers who love SWTOR, so I think I'll put an email through to Bioware offering to host the Aussie servers in our datacentre.

Feel free to lend support to this idea if you think having sub-100 ping iiNet-run SWTOR servers around Australia would be a good idea! :)

If a Bioware rep would like to get in contact with me regarding this, my contact info is in my profile. I'll put an email through to contact@bioware.com too.

What should be done is take the bottom 20 servers and make them Aussie servers, offer free transfers for NA players back to NA realms and offer free transders for Aussie players who play on NA realms over to those.

Win/win.

I disagree. Just renaming a bunch of servers located in the US as "Australian" isn't any different to what other MMOs are already doing.

What we need are a set of Australian servers that are actually hosted in Australia, so we get the low-latency connection that comes with playing on a local server. Going from a 200-300 MS ping to a 100 MS ping might not seem like a big difference, but it's significant.

Thankfully Bioware seem to be well aware of this! Yay Bioware! :D

Quoting my previous post for the new page:

I actually work at iiNet on the team that manages our game servers, and I know we have a lot of staff & customers who love SWTOR, so I think I'll put an email through to Bioware offering to host the Aussie servers in our datacentre.

Feel free to lend support to this idea if you think having sub-100 ping iiNet-run SWTOR servers around Australia would be a good idea! :)

If a Bioware rep would like to get in contact with me regarding this, my contact info is in my profile. I'll put an email through to contact@bioware.com too.

Edited by El_Funko