M1-4X tanking

mikethemad

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep seeing posts saying both 4X is bad and to use Dorne instead, but I don't see anyone talking about Aric.

Is he just terrible or something? I'm in my late 30s now and have used him from the start, and we seem quite able of taking down just about everything. I don't quite understand how Dorne could do more damage than him.

I had blues and a purple to put on him right when I got him, he still sucked.

Saying "he still sucked" isn't helpful for the discussion. What does that mean exactly? How were you using him? What is your spec? What companion do you use instead in light of the previous questions?

Saying "he still sucked" isn't helpful for the discussion. What does that mean exactly? How were you using him? What is your spec? What companion do you use instead in light of the previous questions?

He took more damage faster then Dorne or Jorgan. I was sending him in first to get agro, which I've done with the others with better results.

My spec is Commando Gunnery tree.

I went back to Dorne.

As suggested in another thread like this regarding this Companion... if you like him/it as a tank what are you using to beef him up.

And while you can be putting blues and purples on him are they level appropriate? Are they tank mods ect...

To those who like him please provide a quick list of what you find works... maybe its just a specific gear issue and we can clear this matter up without a flame war.

If you keep the gear top notch he can be pretty good, Dorne is still better for big elites though. Taavus was next to impossible with fully kitted M1-4X (at 30) he even folded against Gearbox (at 28) but with Dorne it became a good challenge. Dorne didn't have great gear because her and Aric had been benched for several levels.

M1-4X is best used as a trash tank, holds great threat and lets you do what you want, especially useful for Commando because can Full Auto without being pushbacked. Important thing is to make sure his Flameguard is up all the time. If he is fighting just ranged opponents he won't activate it because it is a close range ability, meaning he loses 20% damage reduction.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Obviously, get his gear up. Stack endurance and aim, get defense rating high. Hotkey his flameguard ability, use it everytime it is off CD, hotkey his flare ability, use it as an aoe taunt. Heal him, and he is unstoppable. If he is folding for you guys, then you are using him wrong.

anyup and comming troopers looking to use m1-4x should pick up cybertech as their crew skill

not only can you make armor for him early on, but you can make armoring for him as you acquire moddable droid armor

elara was not a very good healer in the late 20's for my vanguard. i had to start heavily investing in gear for her to get her healing up to snuff. now at 42 we are both wearingmatching sets of level 40 moddble pvp gear and both have level 42 moddable pvp weaons. she does quite well. any companion you plan to use has to be geared as you would gear yourself - and this does not come free

yeah I thought m1 was terrible until I decided to get off my lazy ***, pick up cybertech, level it to about 150-170 and make some gear for him.

I only put in 2 parts, 2 motors and 2 cores, everything else is still his starting gear, and he is a beast now, I love coming up against any elites, because I can sit there all day healing the damage he takes very comfortably

Edited by aarowill

he is not a bad tank he just comes with some terribad gear...get him some blues and he will cease to take any damage

Easier said than done. Unless I drop my 200+ crew skills Armormech related and do the Droid stuff myself (or stop playing my main and create an alt till level 30 for that), I having serious trouble to get any decent gear for him (quests, GTN's mods/gear... nothing!!!). :(

On the other hand, my Jorgan "tanks" more or less "well". :p

You're a heavy armor class, why do you need a tank companion? Hell I'm leveling as combat medic and using Dorne is much more fun than the robot. Elites are cake with Dorne healing off my improved Kolto bombs.

Plus he's so big that he gets in the camera's way when I'm running, and he sounds like Stan Smith from American Dad. I hate that show.

ok well you can buy orange droid parts starting on corruscant that will cover 4 parts right there for 30 comms which leaves enough to grab a weapon if your an armorsmith you can easily make armoring mods and enhancements for that armor so he is max geared between it tairs and bel morra droid parts. plus you can pick up aim barrels pretty cheap off the ah so you droid can be fully geared and able to do what you need him to do when you grab him.

As far as my companion isnt keeping up. Every companion sucks if you dont have him in top notch gear. qyzen or m7 or corso who all tank if you dont keep their gear top of the line starts to die like a marshmallow in a fire. if you keep their armor top line and their weapons upgraded they tear through stuff and you take little damage and have to do very little healing. What your not looking at is he is dieing the same way you would if your gear was 10 levels behind because his gear is 10 levels behind himself. Bioware gives you a companion who can fullfil a persons role then you get mad because your not gearing them and they are falling behind.

I keep seeing posts saying both 4X is bad and to use Dorne instead, but I don't see anyone talking about Aric.

Some people just prefer having a dedicated companion healer. I like her, too, but usually Aric's DPS allows me to cut enemies down faster and more reliably than relying on Dorne's heals to prolong a difficult fight. I'm also a commando though, and have heals of my own. I imagine vanguards lean more towards Dorne.

Back to M1-4X, he definitely needs some love. Aric and Dorne both have better armor/damage reduction at ~21-22% versus his measley 17%. I understand that Aric and Dorne are usually well-geared from being part of the crew longer, but it's not like that can't be factored in. M1-4X should be a better tank right out of the gate with at least enough intrinsic armor to be at 25% damage reduction. After the build-up in the cutscenes on how epic M1-4X was, he was a bit of a letdown :(.

Edited by Kemmer

I'm leveling Combat Medic. I was using 4X initially and he seemed okay, but I went back to Jorgan for his mission on NS, and really, there's no reason to go back. Jorgan does more damage and takes comparable damage in return, so I can't see much reason to use 4X.

I haven't tried Dorne, but since my Armormech is coming along well, I'll kit her out with new gear and see how she does in comparison.

You guys are doing it wrong.

Fourex is amazing, and my main companion. I didn't use him for the first couple of levels, but now he never leaves my side.

I am specced full on healing, and my DPS is lackluster. I have geared up fourex a bit, and he does what he is supposed to do. He takes aggro off the elites, and tanks them for me, while we slow DPS them down together. When he gets to half HP, I pop a couple of heals on him before going back to dealing damage.

On difficult elites, I sometimes barely attack the enemy. I do as a healer is supposed to do: I heal my companion while he does most the damage. It certainly takes longer then average, but it's safe and enjoyable. I get to practice my combat medic role, my healing rotations, and get used target switching.

Though killing enemies went a lot faster using Aric Jorgan, it also meant certain death if we pulled wrong. With Fourex, I can accidentally pull two groups, or a couple of elites, and still have full control over the situation.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Obviously, get his gear up. Stack endurance and aim, get defense rating high. Hotkey his flameguard ability, use it everytime it is off CD, hotkey his flare ability, use it as an aoe taunt. Heal him, and he is unstoppable. If he is folding for you guys, then you are using him wrong.

This is it right here.

I have had tremendous success with him. Minimal healing required. Most of the time, I can CC a target when his health gets a little low, drop a quick heal or two, and he's ready to go again. Run in a 2 man group with a healer in your team...you will be unstoppable.