rifle on comando!

letto

Rifles prevent you from using hail of bolts and charged bolts. They also do less damage with ranged attacks (full auto, high impact bolt, hammer shot). I believe tech attacks (grav round, demolition round, etc) do the same damage.

In short, as assault you'll be crippled. As gunnery you can still use all your regular attacks, but it'll reduce your damage enough with your ranged attacks to matter.

I use a blaster rifle with my commando and today, I played like 15 matches of PvP in a row, always taking down lots of people and ending at least in top 5 in DPS count at the end of the round.

Ok, you lose some of your dps using a rifle, but to me, there are a few points that I take into account:

1 - It may be stupid, but it also works... using a rifle, people think you're a tanking vanguard (since most people don't lose time checking your AC) and kinda leave you away;

2 - Being Assault Spec (as me) you can start dps'ing from far away, since all the attacks are 30 mt range and if someone focus in you, you can always kite them into the middle of your warzone group getting that person killed.

3 - It may be placebo effect, but I do feel myself more mobile using a blaster rifle.

Anyway... for general world PvE (and even HM flashpoints or SM Ops) and PvP matches (where what counts the most is the amount of expertise you have), blaster rifles are good (in MY opinion).

For HM Ops, use a cannon.

Edited by Haggardbr

3 - It may be placebo effect, but I do feel myself more mobile using a blaster rifle.

this is most probably because you can't even use charged bolts. as an assault spec, i don't understand why you would do this honestly. you may not always be able to free cast, but when you can, charged bolts is very important.

Rifle is viable with any tree, slightly less overall damage when assault spec but assault spec is more geared towards vanguards anyway.

If you tend to go assault then start a new vanguard alt if you have time.

Just as I said, using a rifle and the assault spec, I can manage to be in top 5 DPS output in a warzone, check this screen:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x324/Haggardbr/swtor2013-02-2523-41-33-59.png

You see that I did almost 267k of dps for a Lv.40 Commando.

Just as I said, using a rifle and the assault spec, I can manage to be in top 5 DPS output in a warzone, check this screen:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x324/Haggardbr/swtor2013-02-2523-41-33-59.png

You see that I did almost 267k of dps for a Lv.40 Commando.

just going to put this out there:

sub50 pvp is vastly different from 50 pvp

also, total damage doesn't matter as much as dps