[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

AstralFire

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Experimenting with Madness since lv 44. Full madness gives more than enough of a rotation without maul. Besides, Maul doesn't do a lot of damage until a player possesses the Induction skill for the 30% extra crit damage.

I couldn't agree more. I posted my thoughts on this a few pages back before I was 50, now that I'm 50 and I know how hard Thrash is hitting, I'm even more sure. It also gives us 3 points to spend, here's my thoughts:

I'm wondering if 8/2/31 will be the better build for PVE madness.

My suspicion is that the buffs to thrash and the relatively low force regen makes trying to use Maul in our rotation not worth it. I suspect that we won't have the extra force and time to work in Maul effectively making those three points very low yield to benefit ratio.

What I propose is that the extra 3% damage from electric execution in darkness tree and having a burst CD from the two points in dark embrace (force cloak then spam assassinate/thrash/shock with increased force regen) and dropping Maul from the priority list. We would then use Thrash/lacerate/assassinate when no dots need refreshing and you don't need force. I'm also under the impression that each attack from thrash can individually proc your Raze ability which is our biggest DPS boost of all (especially on fights with more than one target).

Edited by Angina

Hi all. so re-rolling for the 4th time (first time from level 50) I've decided I wanted to try a darkness build with duplicity. My main complaints about being a sorceress were my lack of burst damage and survivability. I was always topping the DPS tables list, but it seemed like I was never able to really bring a target down right NOW when I had to. And it always seemed like it was pathetically easy for people to kill me inside of a 2-4 second stun effect (even through 90%+ health and a bubble). So the thought of super hard hitting shocks and mauls, and the occasioanlly OMGWTFHOWDIDSHEDOTHAT harnessed Darkness/Recklessness attack appeals to me a lot.

Anyhoo, enough background. The spec I came up with is based heavilly on the one posted on the front page of this guide - essentially just switching 3 points out of Deception and into Exloitative Strikes, which seems like an obvious synergy with the auto-crit shocks.

here is the build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbZhGbzZc.1

I've decided to post here (rather than make my own superfluous clutter thread) and ask peoples' opinions both about that change, and about the build in general? Is Harnessed Darkness worth it? Should I go for something else instead (take madness up to "Raze" perhaps, or at least claws for the +50% critical damage on Thrash?)

Darkness, on paper, seems like it does less damage than deception (obviously) but not _hugely_ less, and should still put up high damage with the right gear. Is that true, or am I just being fooled by wishful thinking and/or the numbers on TORhead's class ability's list?

Thanks.

Any comments are appiated!

This post is in regards to a DECEPTION point of view.

How or what are we using to establish the basis or justification regarding the Crit > Power theory? Over the past few days, I've been starting to lean to the opposite of this. Considering we do not have meters or logs to establish a concrete philosophy, are we prematurely assuming Crit is superior to Power?

In theory, we might want to consider how simplistic the two stats are: Power = increase every hit, Crit = increase the chance to increase one hit. I understand that the damage multiplier that that Critical swing 'might' outweigh the Power loss, but with the right amount of Power, isn't is safe to say that the sustained output would surpass that of Crit (not to mention not having to deal with any type of diminishing returns).

It's not to say that Crit is bad, by any means, and in fact, it's probably best to balance both. But, in theory and in practice, we WILL be critting regardless, it just happens anyway. In a black/white example, if we don't Crit, all the rating we spent did nothing and were wasted optimization.

I know I can't be the only one thinking this. The game is in such a premature stage that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions. And, if we rely on previous models (and/or other games), we could find justification on how this Power > Crit theory might hold some water.

Any thoughts?

I found that with level 40-45 blue mods and some green implants (using whatever quest rewards and the merits for the last planet I was on would buy me), I had just about 24% crit chance anyway. I strongly suspect that with any amount of purple gear it would go up to the 30% soft-cap range without havign to put any special effort into it.

I, myself, am very interested in the merits of soft-caping surge versus just increasing power (which effectively increases critical damage too, since a higher base, times the same multiplier gives a higher product).

Regarding the Madness Assassin section...

It's probably pointed out somewhere else, but I do want to mention that Force Lightning while under Recklessness is NOT a terrible skill for Madness spec. Currently, Recklessness allows every tick of Force Lightning to crit, causing considerable damage at higher gear ranges. It's a worthwhile use of a Recklessness charge, especially on movement intensive or positioning fights (Bonethrasher, Gharj, Soa, etc.) that don't allow you much time to find a perfect spot.

I updated those notes accordingly on Lacerate and F-Lightning.

Your "shielding in unimportant in pvp" comment on the Darkness tree makes you lose pvp credibility.

Lacerate is also useful as it tags people trying to cap stuff.

Shielding is unimportant in PvP. Critical hits (very common) prevent shielding from working. Non-weapon damage based attacks prevent shielding from working. You'll notice a survivability increase with a shield, but not nearly enough to offset the damage decrease in PvP in my opinion, except for purposes of Huttball running.

Astral, remember to take into account that using mass mind control as any kind of assassin in PvP is incredibly useful, you should note this, reason being, im deception, and for example, say i run into a big pit where its nearly 5v5 in a warzone, you should mention that mass mind control should be used to further prevent damage to you allies, and it does nothing to affect you. If anything, id blow it most cooldowns. On top of reducing all your team mates dmg within a certain yardage, you can also gain 2-3, if not 4, more medals doing so, increasing the amount of comms and valor etc, at the end of each match, i make 10-11 medals a match with this ability, i would recommend it to anyone fighting in a big group at times.

And btw, awesome guide, i really enjoyed taking some time to read it :)

Cheers!

Which do you find is more effective for tanking in both PvP & PvE the PvP Wither or Hybrid Madness?

Thanks

As a noob 50 amongst champion geared players, I run a dps oriented darkness spec. Wither is an aoe soft cc with some good damage. Being able to slow 5 ppl and keep them from an objective is worth it. As far as kills damage, I usually sit in the top third of kills in pvp battles unless I am getting focused by battle-masters looking for easy kills, lol.

Even without shield rating & absorption, Darkness adds so much survivability while maintaining dps. Sadly, we don't have three other moves that hit harder than our assassinate, but I can live with that if it means I'm not cc'd into oblivion. I sometimes wonder if it should be nerfed.