[Guide] The Sith Assassin's Codex

AstralFire

First off, I love the guide :)

Second, Shaclad I read your post and I have to disagree.

Assuming a lvl 50 Sith Assassin got 10.000 health, the 2 points in "Shroud of Darkness" you'd gain from removing the points in "Swelling Shadows" would equal to 200 health. That's not a lot of health gained, and I believe that (when doing the math) it's a bad tradeoff. Not sure about it though, just a hunch!

"Force Speed" is on a 20 sec CD talented, the "Unbreakable Will" is on a 2 min CD, so the "Disjunction" talent aren't wasted. Furthermore, the "Force Shroud" aren't limited to stealth only as far as I could see on [Torhead, it just doesn't break stealth.

You also mention removing the points from "Harnessed Darkness", a mistake in my mind. The "Force Lightning" ticks 3 times, and with the talent it can't be interrupted and heals for 3% for each tick, that's a 9% heal costing 30 force.

Lastly, "Spike" is an ability with a 2 seconds duration, and a 30 seconds CD, so while the 9% increased damage from "Nerve Wracking" is amazing, then keep in mind that your teammates in the flashpoints/operations can only get 1 ability off in that period (or, with amazing timing, 2).

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I love the guide :)

Second, Shaclad I read your post and I have to disagree.

Assuming a lvl 50 Sith Assassin got 10.000 health, the 2 points in "Shroud of Darkness" you'd gain from removing the points in "Swelling Shadows" would equal to 200 health. That's not a lot of health gained, and I believe that (when doing the math) it's a bad tradeoff. Not sure about it though, just a hunch!

"Force Speed" is on a 20 sec CD talented, the "Unbreakable Will" is on a 2 min CD, so the "Disjunction" talent aren't wasted. Furthermore, the "Force Shroud" aren't limited to stealth only as far as I could see on [Torhead, it just doesn't break stealth.

You also mention removing the points from "Harnessed Darkness", a mistake in my mind. The "Force Lightning" ticks 3 times, and with the talent it can't be interrupted and heals for 3% for each tick, that's a 9% heal costing 30 force.

Lastly, "Spike" is an ability with a 2 seconds duration, and a 30 seconds CD, so while the 9% increased damage from "Nerve Wracking" is amazing, then keep in mind that your teammates in the flashpoints/operations can only get 1 ability off in that period (or, with amazing timing, 2).

I appreciate your response.

In endgame at level 50, tanks will have closer to 20,000 health, not 10,000. Most classes should have about 10,000 by the time you hit level 40, or possibly sooner. Also, 2% health increase is better than less than 1% mitigation, so it is a better investment.

My only point with Disjunction is that it gives you an unecessary bonus to a situation where you will not need it. There will not be a fight where the tank gets trapped somewhere and needs to break cc more than once every two minutes. How do I know this? Because every tank AC has to be equally viable in end game, and the only move that every tank gets to break cc is Unbreakable Will, so in order to level the playing field this is how they design the enncounters. In PVP, you will need it every 5 seconds or so, having a 20 second cd won't seem like enough. Might be nice when leveling, or even in some other situations, but not when main tanking, it will go completely unused.

And yes, Harnessed Darkness is a waste, because you will not use Force Lightning while tanking. Never. You will not have enough force power if you have a good rotation. The only time you would ever use force lightning is if you are somehow stuck and cant move and are slightly out of melee range, which as a tank would be bad news anyway. Also, if you need to be healing yourself, then you need a new healer. Again, its a PVP tanking move, where self healing is important because you never know where the next heal is coming from. In a flashpoint or operation you will have a healer at all times just for you. Why won't you use force lightning in rotation? Because Shock + Thrash + Trash is almost three times the damage in the same amount of time and uses the same amount of force power to complete, and generates extra threat. Also, moves like Discharge, and Lacerate are kinda expensive, but necessary, and will destroy your force pool. You will find that Shock is the main electric move, leave force lightning for the Sorcs.

Lastly, in an Operation, lets say you will have 10 dps, and lets say they are doing about 1000dps each ( for easy numbers, since tank dps is also included). For two seconds, that increases your raid dps from 10,000 to 10,900. Not too bad, considering you can do this every 30 seconds. Thats an extra 3,600 health the boss loses every minute. In a 10 minute fight, that is 36,000 health, very formidible if you ask me, its like having a whole extra dpser in your raid.

Great guide for Sith Assassins!

I have one question/comment/update though.

For Deception Assassins, wouldn't a better talent distribution be 8/31/2? Instead of putting 2 points into Entropic Field (which is a survival talent in the Deception tree) I put them into the Darkness Tree to fill out the Electric Execution Talent.

Also, 7/31/3 could be another alternative. Instead of filling out Electric Execution in the Darkness Tree I moved 1 point into Exploitive Strikes in the Madness Tree.

I am unsure which talent would provide more DPS (Electric Execution or Exploitive Strikes) without doing further testing in game. But I figured either talent would give more DPS than Entropic Field.

Anyone else care to comment on this?

I pointed this out in the original forum. I completely agree with both specs and not sure which one I am going to chose.

Astral, thanks a lot for this guide :)

I have a quick question. Your priority list for each tree, is it a rotation of abilities we should use or is it the order of abilities we should get?

What would your rotation be for the tanking build and the armor penetration built at level periods or in general?

Thanks a lot again :)

Wither (top of the darkness tree) seems pretty powerful. But not worth the points investment?

Wither is very good (borderline requirement) for tanking in PvE.

For PvP it's a far better idea to stop at 22-23 points and go up Deception or Madness instead as they have very useful PvP talents at lower tiers.

Wither is very good (borderline requirement) for tanking in PvE.

For PvP it's a far better idea to stop at 22-23 points and go up Deception or Madness instead as they have very useful PvP talents at lower tiers.

thanks. so would the mixed trees help survivability up to a point, then add some more offense? (pvp speaking)

thanks. so would the mixed trees help survivability up to a point, then add some more offense? (pvp speaking)

It really depends on what build you choose to go with. I'm going with one that gets Induction in the Deception tree as that goes super good with Energize, so I get to use Shock often.

You can go with Madness and get Death Field which goes quite nice as a tank since it offers some healing and range if you need it. Chain Shock is really nice with Energize, too.

In terms of picking the skills, which ones do you guys recommend first?

I'm going with the 5/33/3 spec, I was thinking of either finishing off the 5 and the 3 first, or try and get Surging Charge ASAP.

Which tree is more beneficial to follow early on?

I was thinking of going with the hybrid http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskZZf0cRr0z.1 built.

Which talents are a priority to take here?

It seems like the this built isn't that effective until you get Death Field and Lacerate in later levels. How do you tank until then?

I'm not quite sure on the rotation to build aggro. I figured getting Death Field will help a lot, but what about before then?

Is there a rotation? Or just use your high damage abilities whenever they're available?