I'll pre-order when You provide some useful info

arkanone

As a former employee of GameStop, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many people will put down $5 or more for a pre-order on a game that there are no details about or even a street date.

This is not an EA/BW phenomenon.

Edited by TheBBP

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never known a MMORPG expansion be for pre-order without a pretty in-depth list of items (I suspect Makeb might well be "in-depth" though, we just aren't getting very much).

It is quite a lot different from pre-ordering a standalone game.

I thought you didn't count this one as an expansion... What expansions had the full set of features listed when pre-order just became avaliable, by the way? Honest question. This game can still be up for pre-order with an in-depth list of features. Just not yet.

And no, it's not different in the slightest for me. I enjoy TOR and I enjoy a good deal of Bioware's past work. Those are the only things I need to know to pre-order. Had I not felt like that, I would've waited 'til release. The only difference is this product is cheaper.

I thought you didn't count this one as an expansion... What expansions had the full set of features listed when pre-order just became avaliable, by the way? Honest question. This game can still be up for pre-order with an in-depth list of features. Just not yet.

And no, it's not different in the slightest for me. I enjoy TOR and I enjoy a good deal of Bioware's past work. Those are the only things I need to know to pre-order. Had I not felt like that, I would've waited 'til release. The only difference is this product is cheaper.

Even an adventure pack. :)

As I said I think we DO know all that is coming in Makeb, I think it's just not a lot.

$20 for F2P which seems pricey for what is seems to be.

Not when they got the core story for free. The $20 price point for F2P is also just another virtual carrot trying to lead more people to just sub more than anything else.

Oh really? Care to point to your hidden knowledge :rolleyes:

They've said nothing concrete on:

- How current endgame loot/instances will be viable, they've said it will be but not how

- No details on if there will be any new instances at all

- No details on what to expect from new tress other than at least 1 new ability per class

- No details on how any in-game systems are changing (crafting, LFG, etc)

- No details on If new tiers of gear will be released and how big the difference will be.

- No details on how they are changing the gear grind (other than vague discussion that it is changing somehow).

And if those things are all to your liking are you willing to pay double when it is too late to "pre-order"?

I pre-ordered on DAY 1 for the simple fact that it only cost $10. I have played a lot of MMOs and $10 is CHUMP CHANGE for an expansion. Even if RoTHC is ONLY the planet Makeb and 5 levels, $10 is a good price.

I think many people will be let down, they will hype this up as a massive addition to the game.

All its going to be is a small xpack, an the Adventure pack style like EQ has Rather then MoP/Cata style

And those EQ packs cost twice to three times as much. I know because I paid for every single one from Shadows of Luclin to Prophecy of Ro. Again $10 is CHEAP!

I have no issues with them pricing to industry levels so long as they add enough to meet industry standards for an expansion. So, for the TOR universe, that's 2 more planets on top of Makeb, a handful of new flashpoints, and 1-2 new operations along with new armor sets for all classes with entirely new artwork. But wait, this operates under the assumption that we actually will receive high quality from BW on anything following the initial release of TOR over a year ago...that's hilarious.

Until then, this Makeb thing is a content patch that you're being charged for. Whoever said BW would start charging for DLC in an MMO, you called it.

You are talking about a WoW sized expansion that costs $50. Apples and Oranges

And those EQ packs cost twice to three times as much. I know because I paid for every single one from Shadows of Luclin to Prophecy of Ro. Again $10 is CHEAP!

Everquest 2 actually put out 3 Adventure Packs before their first full expansion. The packs cost between $5 and $9 I believe.

I decided to pre-order now. I also subbed for 6months too because....

1) £7 odd is cheaper than £8.99 a month and I'll still be here in 6 months (+700 CC's a month instead of 600)

2) A bike on the cash shops costs £12 and a cup of coffee cost nearly £4

3) For £5.99 I can get a tree, a holo and some new story. Even if it's 5 lines of dialogue it's better value than all the cash shop items so meh!

and finally C) they fixed companion lightsabers (of course I only heard this on the forums... not actually seen it in action yet)

Edited by Bargepole

Not when they got the core story for free. The $20 price point for F2P is also just another virtual carrot trying to lead more people to just sub more than anything else.

The core story has nothing to do with selling adventure packs.

There isn't even any class story IN this adventure pack, just a planet story that is being called Ch4. :confused:

Dude if you're so miserable with the game/Bioware why are you here? I guess misery loves company?

How do you extrapolate, by his post, that he is miserable? Has he concluded that you are an idiot for per-ordering? No. He is simply stating a rational, logical, and lucid assessment of the situation. He, and you, have also demonstrated his point, how marketing works to separate rational thought from the potential buyer so as to separate their money from them.

As we see here, you have departed rational thought on this particular subject to the point of insulting him for speaking rationally about it. That is how marketing functions.

Really?

If you pre-order a book you don't know precisely what will be in it, if you buy a cinema ticket you don't know how much you will like the film. Same with a number of things, you take a small risk when you "pre-order" things.

You absolutely do, on both counts. Books are reviewed, so are movies. The information is out there either from the publisher, producer, or sources investigating and reviewing said products.

Oh, I have. Most of the diehard fan-boys, you know the incapable of thinking objectively, will defend BW even if they ended up charging for each individual hotkey use types, have come out comparing the content (hilarious since we do not even know what it is, really) to MoP/Cata and other expansions of other MMO's.

Run a search on these boards, may take some time, but they're on here.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the game. It is an enjoyable game overall. I enjoy it very much even though I am suspect of this particular ploy. There is no reason to insult those that have purchased the item in question.

Lets keep it on an adult level and discuss the issue without the childishness.

You absolutely do, on both counts. Books are reviewed, so are movies. The information is out there either from the publisher, producer, or sources investigating and reviewing said products.

And games aren't reviewed? I've pre-ordered both books and records way before there were even hints of reviews. RotHC will likely also be reviewed before it ships, don't you think?

And games aren't reviewed? I've pre-ordered both books and records way before there were even hints of reviews. RotHC will likely also be reviewed before it ships, don't you think?

I don't know TBH dlcs rarely get reviewed unless the source game is really, really big and even then they are hardly a priority.

I doubt it'll be reviewed before it ships, unless there's a non-NDA Beta (which isn't really a review, but it's effectively the same).

This is the new mode of doing business in the new normal folks.

Do you want real details on what something is? Well, you better buy it to find out!

Weird, I bought it and have the exact same info as everyone else, can you point me to the "I've bought the expansion here is everything that is in it" button?

I doubt it'll be reviewed before it ships, unless there's a non-NDA Beta (which isn't really a review, but it's effectively the same).

Eh, whatever - that's not really the point. The point is that just as there is information out there about new movies and books there will be info out about RotHC. There's very often a staggered release of information when a product is heading towards release. You can either pre-order early (like now) with a rather small amount of info to lean on, or you can wait 'til later and pre-order with more information at hand. Or you can wait until after release and have all the information in the world avaliable to help you decide if you wanna purchase or not. This is not something new or unique to Bioware.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the game. It is an enjoyable game overall. I enjoy it very much even though I am suspect of this particular ploy. There is no reason to insult those that have purchased the item in question.

Lets keep it on an adult level and discuss the issue without the childishness.

Not childish, just honest. That's a part of being in adult world (which I am sure you're aware of), being able to deal with other people being honest despite it being something that may offend you. So you have a problem something someone else said and that means the person is childish.

Please, refrain from demeaning others by calling them children simply because they do not see things eye to eye with a very small vocal group that does nothing but support this game, regardless of its flaws. I have seen your posts before, I enjoy the game just like you but I also know that you do not think this game is perfect, which means I was not even talking about you. By the way, I did not call out anyone specifically, but you just retaliated with a personal attack. Not really helping your case, Black.

But hey, if I really offended you even if I was venting as a customer who feels as though they're being ignored despite having a passion for the game, then I am sorry, please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you heal from this because it was never my intention to hurt anyone. Again, sorry.

Edited by Rezakh