Is a healing commando still viable as dps in endgame content

FeniceNera

Hi all,

I'm leaveling a healer commando (currently level 41), but my guild at the moment has plenty of level 50 healers, so I'm going to spec as dps for my guild. My question is: would I be reliable as dps if I keep my healing specialization, this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rdRoRdcdkfzZbskM.2 for example, so I can benefit from the shorter queue times when I queue alone for random FP)?:rak_02:

Hi all,

I'm leaveling a healer commando (currently level 41), but my guild at the moment has plenty of level 50 healers, so I'm going to spec as dps for my guild. My question is: would I be reliable as dps if I keep my healing specialization, this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800rdRoRdcdkfzZbskM.2 for example, so I can benefit from the shorter queue times when I queue alone for random FP)?:rak_02:

For stuff below Red Reaper? Sure. For stuff after that? D7, BoI, FE? Not really.

you can do nice dmg in healing spec but it is not conservative with ammo as your only really ahrd hitting skills are Full Auto + Plasma Granade, why would you GIMP yourself so badly?

Your probs a sub if your talking about endgame and you get free respec, so ... buy the Legacy perk for field respec (for CC or Creds) and then Screenshot a Gunnary/Assult DPS spec and Screenshot a healing spec. and respec when needed.

:)

Yes and no...

My commando is in optimized full Black gear with 63 Barrel and about 5 or 6, 63 armorings and mods. Using a parser I can sustain around 800+ DPS. A comparable DPS should do 1100+ in a raid. That being said as a ranged DPS you could probably do OK as DPS on SM and HM KP/EV and SM EC if you have comparable gear to what I have. I HAVE gone as DPS on those and we did just fine...even throwing out a heal or 2 :D

HM Daily FPs you could probably be ok DPSing. But be warned that running as a role you are not speced for is largely frowned upon... yes I'm looking at you DPS-pretending-to-be-tanks.

Commando Heal Spec still does excellent AOE damage along with any other skills that are Tech based. However we do not have the procs and skills that "stack" like a gunnery or Assault tree spec has. Ammo management becomes an issue if you don't know what you are doing.

Bottom line... as heal spec you could potentially do DPS comparable to a DPS 1 or 2 gear levels below the gear you are wearing. If you want to Heal, Heal.... if you want to DPS.. just Respec. Healer gear still works good for DPS spec.

Yes and no...

My commando is in optimized full Black gear with 63 Barrel and about 5 or 6, 63 armorings and mods. Using a parser I can sustain around 800+ DPS. A comparable DPS should do 1100+ in a raid.

800-ish is about what an inexperienced DPS can do in Tionese gear. (i.e. someone who still hasn't mastered their class) An experienced player in DPS spec and the gear you describe would pull 1800+ on a dummy. So, that's a pretty serious gap.

Not coincidentally, healers can sustain about as much damage as tanks can: 750-800 at the high end. Sages can sustain a bit more damage without compromising healing, while commandos and scoundrels give up significant amounts of healing whenever they DPS, but these are semantics.