Will this be the first and ONLY expansion?

xNYROx

If we look at torstatus.net on heavy+ % population trends for the US and EU we see a slowly upwards trend starting from early December. Slowly but steadily more people appear to be picking up the game than leaving, or people started to play more. Either way, the game isn't simply going downhill in playtime anymore as once was.

If on top of that sales figures for RotHC will be good, we'll see EA without a doubt investing more into this product and developing more (mini-)expansions.

I am guessing there will be more. Especially if Makeb is successful.

I think that this will be the key. If RotHC does beautifully, then there will likely be more Expansions on the horizon, but if for some reason, RotHC ends up tanking badly, then it will likely be the only Expansion this game sees

SWTOR isnt going to just go away. There are plenty of MMO's that survived even when their population shrunk considerably. SWTOR isnt shrinking at this point and still has more population that most other MMOs do.

This x 100. A MMORPG can survive for years with a small fraction of the population of SWTOR has now. The game may never live up to the potential it had, but it's not going anywhere.

Hopefully, spell and grammer check for the forums will be part of future expansion.

Did you miss the part of your reply where your word 'grammer' was underlined in red because it was not correct?

Grammar has no 'E' in it.

I thought the internet Grammar Nazi's only accepted applicants that passed at least one college level English class anyways, you didn't even get an interview.

I think that this will be the key. If RotHC does beautifully, then there will likely be more Expansions on the horizon, but if for some reason, RotHC ends up tanking badly, then it will likely be the only Expansion this game sees

This. It really depends on how well the expansion is received by the players. With the low asking price on it I believe Bioware is simply dipping their tows in the water just to see if expansions are a worthwhile investment for this game. If it succeeds, then expect more dev time to be devoted to bigger expansions. If it isn't a success, then expect the game to start getting put on life support with the occasional DLC.

Edited by oslek

It will either be the first of many of its kind (based on its success) .. Or herald the start of a different type of expansion if its deemed a financial fail..

SWTOR is probably never going to disappear unless a new version appears (Rumour is Disney have a Mickey Mouse Jedi MMO on the cards ;) ) .. The branding alone will keep it afloat with a decent population either subbing or CM spending.

It will either be the first of many of its kind (based on its success) .. Or herald the start of a different type of expansion if its deemed a financial fail..

SWTOR is probably never going to disappear unless a new version appears (Rumour is Disney have a Mickey Mouse Jedi MMO on the cards ;) ) .. The branding alone will keep it afloat with a decent population either subbing or CM spending.

It's actually a Kingdom Hearts vs Star Wars vs Pirates - three faction MMO.

If we look at torstatus.net on heavy+ % population trends for the US and EU we see a slowly upwards trend starting from early December. Slowly but steadily more people appear to be picking up the game than leaving, or people started to play more. Either way, the game isn't simply going downhill in playtime anymore as once was.

If on top of that sales figures for RotHC will be good, we'll see EA without a doubt investing more into this product and developing more (mini-)expansions.

So population had an uptick going into major school holidays around the world.... Let's see what it looks like next month.

This x 100. A MMORPG can survive for years with a small fraction of the population of SWTOR has now. The game may never live up to the potential it had, but it's not going anywhere.

Excuse me while I go laugh outside.

Ok, back. No it can't. Go back to the fleet and argue there. Leave the forums to us grownups who don't have rose-tinted glasses on.

Edited by JefferyClark

Ok, back. No it can't. Go back to the fleet and argue there. Leave the forums to us grownups who don't have rose-tinted glasses on.

Of course it can survive and continue to prosper! Look at LOTRO. The subscriber base is hovering around 250k, give or take, and Turbine has been pretty methodical about pumping out new updates and expansions.

Why would SWTOR be any different?

I'm hoping that this mini-expansion is just filler until they complete a more typical expansion (probably to come out at 2 - 2.5 years from launch date). The larger expansion would hopefully include things people feel are missing from this one:

- Continuation of class story

- New Class and/or Race

- Revamped space battle/travel

-etc

This is my thoughts on it as well.

The idea that there would be no viable revenue model for subsequent expansion content just strikes me as incomprehensible. And thus an absence of such content seems profoundly unlikely. If there aren't further expansions, someone's completely out of their mind upstairs (and I don't think EA is out of their mind when it comes to revenue models).

One possibility is that "expansions" move decisively towards a "pay to play content" approach consistent with the F2P foundations of the product. And consequently, the idea of "expansions" as discrete products (as if they were boxes sitting on retail shelves) well and truly dies, for the simple reason that it doesn't reflect the present reality at all.

That's fine with me. I'm not married to the idea of a content distribution system which pretends it's 1996 for the rest of time.

Did you miss the part of your reply where your word 'grammer' was underlined in red because it was not correct?

I thought the internet Grammar Nazi's only accepted applicants that passed at least one college level English class anyways, you didn't even get an interview.

I was going to comment on this, but I knew someone would pick up in it :p

That was the joke, but that's ok. FYI they teach you to spell grammar in second grade. Maybe, your college taught spelling.

Edited by Freedannad