Difference between RP and PVE server?

sakica

RP is a role playing server, while playing there you are obligated, most of the time, to "role-play" your toon according to the lore and so on, so shouting "**** you noob ***, Skywalker is the best Jedi" is not only impolite but also, Skywalker will not be born yet for couple of hundred/thousand years. It's fun to play if you want to feel like the real jedi/trooper walking in the SW universe, just remember to behave and abide the rules (haven't RP yet so not sure how specific they are).

PvE is a "player vs environment" that is no player from other faction can attack you in the game world, unless you are in a warzone, pvp area (there are few as for now) or put your pvp flag up (right click on your portrait and click the proper option, if you see a small faction symbol next to your portrait and a strange curved bar around it, it means you are in pvp mode, you have to turn it of manually and wait for 5 minutes in the faction friendly territory for it to wear off, oh and you will be flaged for PvP if you buff/heal (not sure about heal) player who is already in pvp mode - green name instead of blue)

Oh, and I'm not sure if RP are all PvP, but that would be my guess.

Edited by Elmerpl

I believe that No RP servers are PVP, while some are also PVE.

So if No RP are PvP and some of them are PvE what would the rest be?

Ok back on topic, the RP servers are broken into both categories ( just checked it on the "server status" page) RP - PvP and RP - PvE so the PvE section applies to some RP as well, oh and on PvP servers the difference is that you run as you would have your PvP mode always on, and no way turning it off.

edit: guy above me was just a bit faster, not changing the whole post anyway

Edited by Elmerpl

Thx guys

I am on rp server and no one is doing that :D

IMO, if you really want to role-play characters in a different universe, get off the computer, find a group of friends who are willing, and play a table top RPG. You all get together on a regular basis, and as a group you decide how involved you want the role-playing to be.

The "rules" for computer based MMO role-playing are so loosey goosey, and you have so many players who have very different interpretations of what role-playing really means that it is impossible to enforce role-playing in an MMO.

Not impossible to enforce, but difficult, certainly.

There are MMOs that require characters on RP servers to have "lore-appropriate" names. And some that also require names not be "gibberish" (and some apply the "gibberish" rule to all servers, not just the RP ones). So no "Ikillzu", or "XxradboyxX", or "Sjdjdhgh" allowed, for example. There's a good chance many players on an RP server will ignore you (with or without actually using the /ignore command) if you have such a name, even if there are no official rules against it.

Some MMOs will also require that "public" chat on RP servers be "lore-appropriate", as well. So no talking in General chat about how good (or bad) Monday's BCS championship game was, or who's going to win the NFL playoff games this weekend, or whatever.

Enforcement of these or other RP rules can be very hit or miss, in the games that do have them. In SWTOR, the official rules are no different for RP servers than the other ones. The devs basically said they felt that trying to establish/enforce RP rules would be too much work, and they had more important things for the GMs and CSRs to do. The RP server designations are there only so folks who want to RP can more easily find other, like-minded players.

There is indeed an RPvP Server. Its an East Coast server named Jung Ma. Its got a great balance of Roleplay and PvP. Some of the best PvPers on the server are also Roleplayers, but not all PvPers and Roleplayers par take in both aspects.

Jung Ma has a nice community of players, but the population is a bit lower then the bigger RP-PvE servers. But if you want the best of both worlds, Jung Ma is the place to get 'em.

Also, MMO Roleplay is quite fun, and in my opinion more immersive then Table Top RPGs. More visuals, and in some MMOs, great mechanics to help tell your own stories in the settings provided.

You can find GREAT Roleplay in The Old Republic, you just need to know where to look.

Edited by SawneyRath