Merc pyro vs Powertech pyro

Aliman

Hi,

What seems to be biggest difference between these 2 builds?? I mean 1 got channeling power shot and other got flame burst that is instant... It leads me to believe that powertech pyro is going to end up having problems with heat while merc pyro is a bit more controllable due to channeling times.

And why do I keep hearing that merc pyro can't match powertech pyro in operations ??

Hi,

What seems to be biggest difference between these 2 builds?? I mean 1 got channeling power shot and other got flame burst that is instant... It leads me to believe that powertech pyro is going to end up having problems with heat while merc pyro is a bit more controllable due to channeling times.

And why do I keep hearing that merc pyro can't match powertech pyro in operations ??

Pyrotech mercs can about match powertechs, but only when they get to stand still. In many of the boss fights movement is important (i.e. to dodge AOE), powertechs can continue to do full dps while moving, while merc damage is reduced.

Also, powertechs have a 100% chance to proc combustable gas cilinder on their spammable flameburst skill. CGC is roughly 25% of total dps due to this, and gives powertechs the edge. Mercs are dependent on an unreliable proc.

Edited by LordExozone

In operations? I haven't heard much of that. In PvE, both are great. The arsenal merc might be slightly better than a pyro merc in PvE situations, but it's a matter of preference.

In PvP is where most merc complaints arise. The merc is dependant on cast times. In PvP there are a ton of stuns, interrupts, and gap closers. So the merc has a real hard time getting any cast off without interruption.

The powertech's key abilities are instant, and so, uninterruptable. Also, the powertech has a 100% chance to trigger combustible gas cylinder with the bursting flame talent. Merc is not so lucky.