Shadow Tank Skill Tree

Prince_of_Rome

1). What skill tree does a Shadow Tank use?

And

2). Would it be wise to have seperate armor for different things like: PvP, PvE, Flashpoints, and Ops?

Also

3). What is the best companion? And should I spend lots of money on my companions?

Thanks

-A stupid idiot that knows nothing about the game. :(

1). What skill tree does a Shadow Tank use?

The tree you use is Kinetic Combat. The spec you use varies a bit based upon what you want to do. This is the standard for PvE. For PvP, it gets a bit funky, mainly because pure tank Shadows aren't particularly effective in PvP thanks to the prevalence of F/T attacks amongst players and the fact that they ignore all gearable mitigation. The 23/1/17 tank hybrid is one of the more popular Shadow tank specs for PvP since it manages excellent damage, only slightly worse survivability, and substantially better utility than the pure tank spec (it also uses DPS gear rather than tank gear since, as previously mentioned, the tank stats are relatively pointless in PvP).

2). Would it be wise to have seperate armor for different things like: PvP, PvE, Flashpoints, and Ops?

You only really need to have PvP and PvE gear. If you do PvP hardcore but don't do a lot of PvE progression (just doing SM Ops and HM FPs) you can get away with only having a single set of gear, assuming you're not going as a hybrid tank in PvP. If you're doing hardcore PvE, however, you're going to want to have 2 different sets: Expertise is functionally required for any 50 PvP so PvE gear doesn't really cut it, but Expertise is wasted itemization in PvE, which is going to make doing any progression content *way* harder than it should be.

3). What is the best companion? And should I spend lots of money on my companions?

As a tank, Tharan is your bestest buddy: with him, you'll never have any downtime and you'll be able to kill pretty much anything you find, up to and including many heroic missions. Some people advise you to use a DPS companion (Nadia or Zenith; I prefer Zenith mainly because one of Nadia's AoEs is a knockback) and I've started to use one whenever I'm doing my dailies or running guildies through low level content, but, if you had to choose just 1, it would definitely be Tharan.

I wouldn't spent much money of your companions: you'll get all of the gear you need for them doing your quests. If you use Nadia, you can just give her your hand-me-downs (which is one reason why many people recommend using her).

The tree you use is Kinetic Combat. The spec you use varies a bit based upon what you want to do. This is the standard for PvE. For PvP, it gets a bit funky, mainly because pure tank Shadows aren't particularly effective in PvP thanks to the prevalence of F/T attacks amongst players and the fact that they ignore all gearable mitigation. The 23/1/17 tank hybrid is one of the more popular Shadow tank specs for PvP since it manages excellent damage, only slightly worse survivability, and substantially better utility than the pure tank spec (it also uses DPS gear rather than tank gear since, as previously mentioned, the tank stats are relatively pointless in PvP).

Hey guys, my question is: you need to respec every time you go for a PvE run? Or you can manage FP/Ops with PvP spec (my guess: not really)? It"s just a lot of hassle to me. Change gear, respec and then repeat etc. Worth to have two different toons for PvE/PvP or is there any better solution?

Thx,

Encut

Hey guys, my question is: you need to respec every time you go for a PvE run? Or you can manage FP/Ops with PvP spec (my guess: not really)? It"s just a lot of hassle to me. Change gear, respec and then repeat etc. Worth to have two different toons for PvE/PvP or is there any better solution?

Thx,

Encut

You can use 23/1/17 for all FP/Ops except for EC HM, TFB HM, EC NiM with no problem.

However for EC SM and TFB SM, it will largely depend on your healer.

Thx,

Encut

Spend the money on field respec, and memorize a couple builds. :)

You can use 23/1/17 for all FP/Ops except for EC HM, TFB HM, EC NiM with no problem.

However for EC SM and TFB SM, it will largely depend on your healer.

Okay thx, then I'll try my builds in WZs and different FPs as well.

Spend the money on field respec, and memorize a couple builds. :)

Yeah, figures i need to memorize some builds. :D Might try field respec as needed.

Thx a lot guys,

You only really need to have PvP and PvE gear. If you do PvP hardcore but don't do a lot of PvE progression (just doing SM Ops and HM FPs) you can get away with only having a single set of gear, assuming you're not going as a hybrid tank in PvP. If you're doing hardcore PvE, however, you're going to want to have 2 different sets: Expertise is functionally required for any 50 PvP so PvE gear doesn't really cut it, but Expertise is wasted itemization in PvE, which is going to make doing any progression content *way* harder than it should be.

Not to mention no guild in their right mind is going to allow a tank in progression content to be wearing PVP gear.