What's worth buying in the Cartel?

SoSickMinded

I've got a nice amount of Cartel coins, but I'm kinda afraid to use them because I don't quite understand what's useless crap and what's actually good and worth buying. I'd love to get the ship upgrade, but I don't have any lvl 50's so that's out of the question... any advice on what packs are good or what items can help me while progressing through the story?

Thanks, I'm fairly new to the game, and a complete noob when it comes to the Cartel...

I usually just stick to the cartel packs becuase they give a wide varitey of items to your characters. They have items such as speeders, emotes, revan's robes, pets, and then they give you a high level companion gift and several other items I cant remember off the top of my head.

Worth it?

None of it.

Buy the gamble boxes and see if you can find something over 500k

Probably smarter to simply sell the packs for 300k-ish a piece.

I mean sure, you can theoretically open one up and make a couple million credits off of it. But RNG is more likely to give you ship droid customization and XP bonuses (meaning nothing) for your trouble heh.

I've got a nice amount of Cartel coins, but I'm kinda afraid to use them because I don't quite understand what's useless crap and what's actually good and worth buying. I'd love to get the ship upgrade, but I don't have any lvl 50's so that's out of the question... any advice on what packs are good or what items can help me while progressing through the story?

Thanks, I'm fairly new to the game, and a complete noob when it comes to the Cartel...

If you are Jedi, the Valiant Jedi Armor is worth it. It is the nearly the only set in the game that let's you look like a Jedi but doesn't have a giant hood over your head. It is also one of the coolest Jedi armors in the game. It is the one from the cover of the game box/loading screen/first trailer.

It sort of depends, but if you don't have any 50's, and if you have a lot of them, you could opt to unlock the aspects of the game you use such as additional crafter slot, maybe skillbars if you use 6, epic unlocks, and then just play a while from your cartel coins. All you'd need to use access passes for perhaps would be flashpoints if you run those.

Beyond that, what I personally like having is the GTN slot upgrades, but that's simply because I tend to sell a lot, and hate switching to alts to get access to more slots.

Most of the other things on the cartel market are just fluff, and completely up to yourself whether you want to obtain it or not.

If there's nothing that peaks your interest, then simply wait till something interesting does get added. You can try your luck with the packs, but I don't advise buying those to get things to sell on the GTN. Even selling the packs themselves doesn't yield as high a profit per cartelcoin as, for example, selling the title or companion customization unlocks.

Im sure everyone has given great tips so far. Heres my 2 cents. If you are in a hurry to level up, the xp buff is a decent idea. The packs are cool too. Ive bought 2 so far and each has had something of value to me. I havent had anything sellable but Im not much in need of cash either. Like someone else said, if theres nothing you see now, hang on to your coins. SOmething may peak your interest soon.

Depends on what you are looking for. I think some of the armor sets are great looking. I bought some of the better looking ones for my Jedi sentinel.

The cartel packs are a nice grab bag of rarities and boosts you can pass to other characters.

Edited by Arkerus

If you're only in it for the money I'd say that your safest bet is to simply buy and sell packs. That way you'll know how you you will bring in. Opening aucks is fun but chances are that you'll only get one reasonably valuable item, most likely a crystal, every five packs.

As for what to get, I have a good deal of the armor from the shop, bought most of it on GTN though. The power crystals are really good while levling of course and some of the mounts are nice.

Also, minor exp boost are cheap on GTN so it's better to buy them directly from there instead of RNG'ing for them. I've noticed an interesting thing on GTN, it's actually much cheaper to buy three minor boosts of certain boost types than one major, this despite that they add up to the same exp/time.

Edited by Washingtoon

Personally, the Legacy wide unlocks (ones that apply to all characters). Having spent CC on them myself, the only thing I couldn't spend CC was the ones that reduce time for the emergency fleet transport. Not that I was upset. I loathe going there (either side; Imperial & Republic).

You can risk it and purchase the Cartel Packs. I, however, have horrible gambling luck & the only epic drops I got were companion gifts & crafting mods (if it helps, I opened 500 boxes).

I have purchased gear. One set with mods (usable at 30~35). It lasted all through Nar Shadaa (bonus series) & Alderaan. By far, those are the best mods at level (unless of course you can craft ones of equal value). Personally, I did it because it put my BH into armor that was grayish & black (that to that point, the modable gear was brown or earth tone colors).

I also bought the Valiant Jedi gear (newest set put up there) due to it matching the look I wanted for my Jedi Knight (named Siolo'urmanka; the Jedi that caused Darth Maul to build his infamous double bladed lightsaber). Otherwise, I haven't.

The true *worth* of the Cartel Store lies in what is it worth to *you*. I'm 99% positive come March, I'll regret buying the 500 packs I opened. The others? No. It matches the *look* I was going for in my Bounty Hunter and Jedi Knight (the two class stories I have saved for last; and have held off until I completed the other 6).

I hope this helps, and I apologize for missing words and lack of punctuation (I am posting this on my phone).

Edited by jason_ralph

I agree with the legacy unlocks. A lot of the unlocks cost ridiculously high amounts of credits, but reasonably low amounts of cartel coins. The best example is speeder piloting, which costs like 450K to train on a trainer or can be unlocked on the whole account for a couple hundred coins each and you get them sooner. I'd pick the stuff you'd like all your characters to have and buy those. I am currently maxing out storage bins and inventory slots with mine and previously bought jet boost with both cooldown reductions and some legacy travel perks.

After I finish this I'm just going to collect them for a while, eventually when I have enough coins I will probably just go F2P and use them to unlock the stuff I want account-wide like tool bars, character customization, GTN slots and purple items, and maybe bank some for buying field rezzes and access to content type stuff.

Edited by bahdasz

If you want the ship upgrade just save your cartel coins until you hit lvl 50 witth one char and buy the ship upgrades then :)

Anything else that is worth it on the CM?

Hmm there is many new armours that lokks cool, a nice axe to buy (if you think that weapon is cool), color crystals

and the packs (but they are gambling sometimes you're lucky and find nice useful things in them, and other times you just get crap...)

You should spend them on things important. Such as saving yourself 5Mil by buying the Rocket Boosters with your CCs. Or saving yourself 1Mil (I think) by unlocking Species with your CCs.

I don't even know how to purchase legacy items with cartel coins... I thought you could only use credits for legacy items.

The armor set people keep talking about... does it actually have good stats or does it just a visual thing that I can wear my armor under? o.o Kinda confused by that.

I don't even know how to purchase legacy items with cartel coins... I thought you could only use credits for legacy items.

The armor set people keep talking about... does it actually have good stats or does it just a visual thing that I can wear my armor under? o.o Kinda confused by that.

The highest armor requitment is lvl 43. So aftyer lvl 47 the armor is just a visual thing.

To purchase the legacy stuff with CC open your legacy window (where your legacy and all your legacy skills is. Its symbol looks like a shield) find the legacy skill you want to buy and click on it. Then it will show you a screen where you can choose how you want to purchase it.

You go to your legacy tab. There are a list of skills there and you can either unlock them with credits or cartel coins depending on how high your legacy is. As the above posters have stated, they're generally the best bang for your buck. I personally love the rocket boost and early speeder skills and a bunch of other stuff that cost a ton of credits and is much more accessible with cartel coins.

IThe armor set people keep talking about... does it actually have good stats or does it just a visual thing that I can wear my armor under? o.o Kinda confused by that.

If you open up the cartel market and look under equipment, you can see some of the adaptive gear sets for sale. They can be worn by any class and have upgrade slots, so that might be a good way to spend money if you see something you like the look of.

If you have alts, get some legacy unlocks. Rocket boots is probably the best because you buy it once for all characters in your legacy.

This. Rocket boots are the best investment in the game. I used my free CCs on them and they made me mad I hadn't unlocked them sooner. I just didn't see how useful they would be.

This. Rocket boots are the best investment in the game. I used my free CCs on them and they made me mad I hadn't unlocked them sooner. I just didn't see how useful they would be.

Problem is rocket boots require such a high level of legacy and mine is only lvl 3 so far...

Problem is rocket boots require such a high level of legacy and mine is only lvl 3 so far...

Umm, idk if this applies to everything but I bought the ship gtn with cartel coins before hitting legacy 25...so it would seem that you can bypass the level restrictions if you pay with cc instead of credits.