What level do we receive orbital strike?

DarthDaily

I always thought that was a bit late to get such an important ability. It seems like other classes get their awesome AOE way sooner. Personally I would like to see it knocked down at least to 40.

It's more of a sniper move tbh. imo mm snipers need it the most since they have no aoe damage.

It's more of a sniper move tbh. imo mm snipers need it the most since they have no aoe damage.

Snipers have more aoe than Operatives. They get Suppressive Fire fairly early on and talented Frag Grenade with lowered cooldown is pretty good AOE. Also snipers may have Corrosive grenade if Lethality and Plasma Probe if Engineering.

Carbine Burst for Operatives is garbage :mad:

Snipers have more aoe than Operatives. They get Suppressive Fire fairly early on and talented Frag Grenade with lowered cooldown is pretty good AOE. Also snipers may have Corrosive grenade if Lethality and Plasma Probe if Engineering.

But aside from suppressive fire and Orbital strike, Marksman-specced snipers don't get much, which was the spec he was specifically referring to.

But aside from suppressive fire and Orbital strike, Marksman-specced snipers don't get much, which was the spec he was specifically referring to.

MM have frag grenade, suppressive fire, orbital strike. All perfectly good and viable aoe. Operatives have less. I just don't see how snipers need it more....

I think we can all agree that we'd like OS earlier than 48, it doesn't matter what AC/spec you play.

What I like about that skill is that is the heroic unlock for finishing chapter 3 on the Agent. I have it on all my characters now it may have a 15 minute cool down before I can use my heroic moment but it helps out.

MM have frag grenade, suppressive fire, orbital strike. All perfectly good and viable aoe. Operatives have less. I just don't see how snipers need it more....

I think we can all agree that we'd like OS earlier than 48, it doesn't matter what AC/spec you play.

i agree with you 110%. The fact that we get strapped down till 48 for this skill just proves yet again that someone on the other side hates IA. When does the sorc get lighting storm that they can SPAM?...force regen skills...bubbles...a big *** self heal.....face it brothers and sisters...we are the unwanted children of starwars. We just are not as iconic as a bounty hunter or a force user. The story line of IA rings true if you think about it.

Plus my last little tid bit of hate....the free pve gear you get at 50...why is it we cant buy the whole set of gear? i bought the boots,gun,knife,gloves,helm,pants...wait...WHAT!!!! im 1 TIO shy from getting my chest...you can not be serious...:ph_thank_you:

Edited by Vengar

Carbine Burst for Ops is awesome ability in PvE

(in PvP it is much more situational due to limited range, angle and ppl dont tend to stick together with smashing monkey leaping everywhere).

But If you need to kill trash, it's better than Orbital strike.

Hidden strike (+TA) - if HS crits, go straight for Car. B. (+1 dead mob = TA, other mobs hurt) + Shiv (2x TA) -> Car. B + Cr. B = spot clear

Example:

Kaon FP - i just did this yesterday with some 2 newbies and first chest (where you need to man up the cannon), the newbie hopped onto it, but didnt know how to shoot, so he just kept hopping on and out (and sometimes he got few shots out).

I cleared all trash there with Car. Burst + occasional frag grenade.

You need to utilize fact, that killed enemy = new TA granted. If you work with this in your mind, then it is really awesome ability to clear trash mobs. I run with 42% critical chance (Lethality) so it crits really a lot = heaps of DMG.

Lots of people disregard it, but it's only because they tried it early on - as it is early on earned utility - and they e.g. didnt know about kill=TA grant and so they left it in dust as "totally unusable utility" and never gave it try again.

Edited by tatatan

There is also the CC aspect of OS that makes it soo OP that we get it late game. If there is not a single silver+ mob, free clear. Just wait the 2-3 secs and grab the loot on your way to the next pull.

good point....you run a sorc? guess what....its lightning storm stuns normal mobs as well....which = your cc aspect that is so OP for IA that we cant get it till 48.......NEXT!:ph_thank_you:

just turned 48 on my engineer sniper

i only pvp with this toon

for all practical matters this ability is more trouble than it is worth

in fact, casting it is more of a way to draw out an enemy's interrupt than to actually have it do any damage

i draw way more attention than i otherwise would by trying to cast it

everyone runs away from it so now my possible targets are scattered to the winds

i'm sure it rocks in pve but in pvp i'll take my plasma probe over orbital strike anyday

just turned 48 on my engineer sniper

i only pvp with this toon

for all practical matters this ability is more trouble than it is worth

in fact, casting it is more of a way to draw out an enemy's interrupt than to actually have it do any damage

i draw way more attention than i otherwise would by trying to cast it

Draw out an interrupt? Why are you not casting from cover? Why would you not be in cover when you are about to begin a three-second cast time ability?

everyone runs away from it so now my possible targets are scattered to the winds

i'm sure it rocks in pve but in pvp i'll take my plasma probe over orbital strike anyday

It rocks in PVP. Drop it on yourself. Autowin against melee. Drop it on an objective. Now you control TWO points. Plasma Probe is an interrupt AOE, not a damage aoe. Use it to stun someone in your OS. When they recover from that, debilitate-stun them in your orbital strike.

Learn to use it better and I think you'll find it shines.

Draw out an interrupt? Why are you not casting from cover? Why would you not be in cover when you are about to begin a three-second cast time ability?

It rocks in PVP. Drop it on yourself. Autowin against melee. Drop it on an objective. Now you control TWO points. Plasma Probe is an interrupt AOE, not a damage aoe. Use it to stun someone in your OS. When they recover from that, debilitate-stun them in your orbital strike.

Learn to use it better and I think you'll find it shines.

i'm sure and definitely hope you are right

i only got it yesterday and to add it to an already stable "rotation/playstyle" has been difficult for me to implement

i will report back after some games today

ok

i am getting a bit used to this orbital strike

at worst- it keeps the enemy team running for the hills as this gets set down

at best- (when you are able to flash bang and even cover pulse enemies into the frying pan) there are dead enemies everywhere

it does wonders as a melee and capper repellant

i am beginning to see the light

I use it quite a bit on my concealment op. Like other have said, use it where you stand, on nodes (placement is key on nodes, nodes can be used to LOS the OS and no dmg to occur to capper, well all area AOE have the same effect) in NC inside the buildings where capping can occur and forces cappers to try and cap outside the building and doors and what not in voidstar. In huttsball lead the enemy ball carrier quite a bit to force them to take a different route, usually. Some advice and try to keep LOS of where you wanna put it but try and hide behind something so they cant find you to interrupt it (poles in void, sandbags in hutts, etc).

One of them best times to use it for hilarity purposes is to use it like this, but highly situational: You are fighting and enemy has used their CC already and they are at very low hp. Flashbang, then orbital strike and just sit back...Fatality

• 6 months later...
If you want to know about abilities go to torhead it has complete lists of class and advanced class abilities and what lev you get them

or click new in the drop down box one of the 49 times you visit the class trainer.