The lack of Honor in SWTOR Disturbs me

Loniki

Ahh the good ole days of EQ where people would actually stop and/or ask you if you were going to attack a mob/camp you were staring at or running to.

the WoW kiddies destroyed any sense of community and/or accountability for all future MMORPGs. yes, really.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So working on missions and need to kill the mobs to get to the node behind them. In the middle of the battle and low and behold someone runs past and takes the node. Then game mechanics has me sitting there waiting for it again which I seen take several minutes. This has happened numerous times and this was a RP server. If this is a glimpse of the player base I want no part of it. Even WoW players were not this dishonorable, sorry to compare.

I am sorry, but your memory has to be faulty. This is my eighth game, including WoW, and this has been one of my complaints for years in all games. It is a real life cultural issue compounded by the anonymity of the Internet, and it has nothing to do with any particular game.

On the other hand, don't be too quick to judge. For instance, last night I was waiting for a mini-boss to respawn. Right as he did and before I could react, a Knight leaped in from off screen and tagged him. I was fuming while he and his group killed it, but then I realized, from the angle they approached him, they could not have seen me before they tagged him. When they got done, they stood there for a minute, I assume discussing that they must have just jumped him while I was waiting, and then asked me if I wanted help. I politely declined and just made sure I could be seen from all angles of approach while I waited for the next respawn.

Likewise, some quest items respawn immediately and others do not. Someone new to MMOs may not know that the node won't necessarily respawn immediately may be thinking that his grabbing it won't affect you. In older MMOs, I have had situations where lag made it so that a player did not show up on screen immediately even though resource nodes did. This sometimes lead to accidental "claim jumping" while mining resources. That is less likely in more modern MMOs, but bear in mind that what you see on your screen is not necessarily what someone else is seeing on theirs. Don't just assume their intentions.

The bottom line is that, yes, the world is becoming a ruder place in many ways, especially in the online world, but it has nothing to do with a particular game. And the only thing you can do is just be vigilant and make sure your intentions are obvious. E.g., Fighting a mob to get to a resource node or quest object? Fight on or right next to the object. Will people still try to jump it? Sure, but before you have a stroke over the injustice, keep in mind the only mechanic in place is first-come, first-served. It doesn't make it any less frustrating, but it does help temper your own sense of entitlement when you keep in mind that it was not technically your node until you tap it yourself.

The way I look at it, the only behavior I can control is my own, so I take comfort in making sure I am not guilty of discourtesy.

Edited by Sotaudi

So working on missions and need to kill the mobs to get to the node behind them. In the middle of the battle and low and behold someone runs past and takes the node. Then game mechanics has me sitting there waiting for it again which I seen take several minutes. This has happened numerous times and this was a RP server. If this is a glimpse of the player base I want no part of it. Even WoW players were not this dishonorable, sorry to compare.

Um, it happened in WoW all the time. In fact, WoW is what helped make this attitude common

Ninjas will ninja..

I personally don't like that and I don't do it.

I will help people kill the mobs in front of the clicky, but I will not take it from them.

I wait for the next spawn, but not everyone is honorable.

Edited by Jett

I think this is just a sad reflection on MMOs in general. There's been a decided lack of courtesy in all that I've played. Yet there are still good people who have a strong sense of ethics.

I remember getting close to a node but attacked. I wasn't close enough to make it obvious that I was after that node, but another player stopped and waited until my mob was defeated to ask me if I wanted to take the node. I declined. Yes, I wanted it, but just because he was so nice to ask I let him have it.

You have defamed my honor! Have at thee, knave!

*throws down white glove*

I will see you in the Kaas cantina, if you are not unmanned by my challenge. Good day, sir! I said GOOD DAY!

Oooteenee!

It's on like (space) Donkey Kong!

Pistols at dawn!