Surviving PVE Situations

Coolrockski

I am new to the game and now have a Merc at level 21. I have been going straight up the Pyrotech tree and enjoy the play style. I play mostly PVE for now. There is one scenario while leveling that has been a problem. During Flashpoints/Heroics, things some times break down. Things like the tank dies, the healer dies or the tank loses aggro. In every case, I get attacked. I have been forced to use the two self heals and power shield a lot. And before anyone asks, no I don't jump in like an idiot and take aggro from the tank. I always wait for the tank to engage the enemies. My question is: Is there a good build that uses mostly Pyro abilities with some utility from Arsenal? There are a lot of survival type skills in the first 3 rows of Arsenal that look to be pretty helpful. I have tried moving around points on torhead and now experimenting with full Arsenal. The problem with full Arsenal is even in PVE, I need to move around and tracer missile is a cast. Can anyone offer any advice? And I will never be a super duper raider/hardcore PVPer so I'm looking for practical survival advice while still doing a good job dealing damage.

I have done a lot of searching of old threads and even some similar questions on the first page here. They are very helpful, but after playing, now looking to solve some specific problems.

Edited by Coolrockski

Survival skills?

Hah.

Nothing in the Arsenal or Pyro tree results in you gaining the ability to cheat death from sudden damage.

And since we didn't have any great defensive cooldowns by default it doesn't change anything.

It's what merc issues in pvp revolve around.

There's only 3 dps styles for pve mercs.

Arsenal (no options...)

Hard cast Pyro (cast protection + 30% buff to unload crits)

Skirmisher Pyro (no cast protection, gets extra nade)

They all die the same way because we have no ubershield, we just get to be a minitank for a few moments if we have a shield at full health. If we don't have a huge pile of health or lots of healing the shield is just naff.

Pve with arsenal spec is fine if you are getting hit someone in your group is doing it wrong. i.e. tank can't hold aggro or you have to hit your threat drop.

This build is fine for Pve its pvp that it fails hard.

The fact you have to cast shouldn't be a prob I've cleared all but NiM EC with build with zero probs.