How Not To Suck As A Mercenary

Flintfire

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I think you've all just given a happy troll a meal, he's probably sleeping it off under a bridge. After reading such enlightening advice as if you have a partner a Jedi may not try to 2v1 you, or buy good armor from the cartel shop, or lastly and this one is my personal favorite why is a commando reading a merc thread..... They obviously CANT be the same one has two pistols one has a cannon.

Tldr OP I give you a 10/10 for trolling and a 1/10 for understanding the game.

was actually OP before they nerfed grav and fixed the debuff stacking from multiple commandos.

The only thing OP about it was other classes not understanding what their interrupts (both hard and soft) were for.

It was pretty much game over once people figured that out.

Edited by Jherad

Solution to not being a bad merc is to not be a bad period. Mercs can do just fine if you aren't a retard. And if you disagree, there is a topic floating around here with a video from a player named Watcher-six and he's pretty damn good. Edited by Devilk

Solution to not being a bad merc is to not be a bad period. Mercs can do just fine if you aren't a retard. And if you disagree, there is a topic floating around here with a video from a player named Watcher-six and he's pretty damn good.

Lol.

There are plenty of good mercs and mandos. Check out my vids. Check out DKSharktooth (Skillex). We've plenty to say about the problems of these ACs against GOOD teams. Anyone can tear apart scrubs, I know I do.

But good mercs are still bad.

Have a couple of recent vids:

There is always a better choice than a DPS merc/mando.

Edited by Jherad

Solution to not being a bad merc is to not be a bad period. Mercs can do just fine if you aren't a retard. And if you disagree, there is a topic floating around here with a video from a player named Watcher-six and he's pretty damn good.

Cool story bro. Really nice theory.

You are dead wrong.

It's hard to be a good merc. There is alot of skill involved balancing and timing various attacks, cc's, and defensive cooldowns. And people love to group up on you first, sometimes before the healer. But at the end of the match I can place in the top 50% and top 3 for DPS. I never get any MVPs which is a shame since I kited 2 jedi for 30 seconds as my team rushed in from my "3 inc west" call. No small feat for a lone commando.

Meanwhile when I play my Sentinel I just bang my forehead against the keyboard for for a while and I'm at the top of the board at the end of the match. MVPs are showered upon my forehead skills and I gloat about my awesomeness.

It's hard to be a good merc. There is alot of skill involved balancing and timing various attacks, cc's, and defensive cooldowns. And people love to group up on you first, sometimes before the healer. But at the end of the match I can place in the top 50% and top 3 for DPS. I never get any MVPs which is a shame since I kited 2 jedi for 30 seconds as my team rushed in from my "3 inc west" call. No small feat for a lone commando.

Meanwhile when I play my Sentinel I just bang my forehead against the keyboard for for a while and I'm at the top of the board at the end of the match. MVPs are showered upon my forehead skills and I gloat about my awesomeness.

Which is the problem. If you're bothering to be good at Merc/Commando you're wasting your talents. You'll do better pretty much on any other AC.

@OP LOLk

cool story bro. please roll one and let me know how you do!

It can't be said often enough: commando / merc needs an escape mechanic, a movement buff, and proc'd immunity to interrupts, leaps and pulls. Give us that, and we'll be viable in PvP. Some group utility would be an added bonus. As it stands, even the very best commando/merc is a target dummy for every other Advanced Class (especially in pug groups, where you're unlikely to have a pocket healer or have players peel for you). Commandos are pushed, pulled and facerolled like rag-dolls in WZ after WZ and it's simply unfair to those players who have invested time and money to level their 'toons and who have made the effort to acquire the skill to play this poorly designed Advanced Class to the maximum that it is capable of. And since commando / mercs are always automatically regarded as the weakest link, you have to put up with some bad attitude from pug teammates, in addition to being continually focused as a "free kill". Not very enjoyable imo.(I admit I leveled by second commando for the challenge of it, but it's starting to really bother me again.

Merc dps is the worst subclass in the game. Followed closely by Commando dps. Yes you can compensate for that with superior player skill. But once you meet a player with skill equal to yours, you die. It's that simple. Just as simple? BW still thinks Merc dps is overpowered. Yup. Which is why there will be no meaningful buffs to Merc dps. Perhaps there will be a minor sprint addition to JetBoost at the cost of higher heat - since the devs are looking for every possible way to further reduce Merc dps.

Hate to shoot myself in the foot here but Phazer, Skillex and Zacharia are right. If you know what your doing as a merc/commando and meet someone else who has the same level of reactions/knowledge etc, you will die. Its as simple as that. For every good movie we release we just had a ton of bad games where you were crowded to hell and back and didnt get off a single shot. But who the hell wants to see something like that, right? So you show some clips where you shine and do ok, and cry when the melee train reaches your station.

I play this class because i love the background for it and i prefer ranged classes. I want to be someone who stand up to the supernatural force-users armed with nothing but guts and a big gun. This is a game and proper pvp balance should allow me to have a shot, currently thats not really happening.

How not to suck as a Merc: DPS: switch to sniper. Heals: Switch to operative. There you go, Imperial Agent completely replaced the merc class.

Any sniper will whipe the floor with DPS mercs, regardless of gear or player skill. There is nothing that mercs can do. We can interrupt them, while they cannot interrupt us.

You cannot give mercs DPS because DPS is not their problem. They need sniper goodies like: immunity to interrupts, leaps, pulls, but sniper took all these goodies :)

Edited by NoTomorrow