Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

1. If you are suggesting allowing people to teleport direct to a dungeon then NO NO NO NO. It's a immersion breaker, if you want to go from A to B then walk, run, fly etc

2. YES

3. YES I am sick of people ninjaring me with comments like "It's for my alt"

4. Yes why the hell can I not select which warzone I want to be in? I loathe Huttball with a passion, it's just AWFUL and atm I just quit on entry.

5. NO you should have to travel back to the trainer, you would IRL, again it's an immersion killer if you don't have to do this.

6. DPS meters just allow elitists to flame other members, so NO.

7. YES

8. Yes but am not bothered about them myself but why not.

9. OFC this should be in the game.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much dungeon finder hate.

Did any of you actually play WoW before the LFD tool? Did you forget what it was like? Nobody ever wanted to run dungeons or heroics because finding a group could take 30-60 minutes and required you to sit in a city and spam trade chat. You could pretty much forget about ever running a dungeon below max level unless you have some friendly guild members that happened to also have toons at that levels. In short, it sucked.

Anyway, I'd imagine that we'd be just fine without the cross-server component for at least 1-2 years if the population stays high.

My thoughts in pink.

Also, I wish there was long hair and a barber of sorts.

Hm... all I remember from pre dungeon finder was never getting in to certain dungeons. Spamming for over and hour just so the group could break up out of bordem or whatever. People leaving right in the middle of the dungeon and not finding a replacement meaning the group broke up and didn't finish the dungeon at all. Not really seeing the fun in that but to each their own as they say.

Well, I'm sure you can find Ewoks somewhere

What?!?! Ewoks in star wars? You got to be kidding. Is that a new race? :p

Edited by LordKOLZ

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

1. dungeon finder : no never no tx... i dont wanna sit in my main fleet doing nothing for hours waiting qq, or finding a good group ill never see once more ever again cuz i used dungeon finder and stuck up people that whine quit dungeon instant or some being i foass cuz they are bla bla via dungeon finder.. NEVER!!!

2.im sure this will come eventually since game has newly starting today at all actually...

3. well true a limit in rolls surely needed

4. well thats a need too but after some point level u dont visit trainer so much as u do in first lvls but that would give relief if u like fighting your all the way before returning town which makes u no new skills :p

5. what addons? addons made by players usually and game officially launches today? bioware always lets their games being tweaked by addons and mods, so patience young padawan.

6. if u ever check incoming features, u will notice there's a guild space ship incoming so surely there will be storage and everything there :p

7. datacrons :p? they buff ur stats and no tx to achis... achis ****ed wow...

"link achi for talking me" "you dont have this achi u sux" "i got this achi im so uber cool" those ****ed wow big time, so no tx to achis ever.

8. well game is new and fishing :p there will be many more fun stuff rather than fishing

What is with all the dungeon finder hate? There is nothing inherently evil or community destroying about it. People don't just use the tool and then all of a sudden become evil. Here is a hint, they already were inconsiderate and selfish people to begin with.

It should be on the community to foster a positive experience, not for a game to be designed to force it. Be friendly and considerate in the group and hope it rubs off. If not, add the player to an ignore list and move on. Don't blame a perfectly good tool for the communities issues.

I don't remember people arguing to remove the bazaar after it was added in EQ because of the loss of "community" in trying to sell your good in the commanlands tunnel by spamming ooc chat. Although I've read enough forum posts over the years to know that someone was probably trying to make that very argument.

Funny to read this. Forget about the futuristic enviroment and check again what game you are playing. swtor=wow 1 year ago+lasers

And I'm loving swtor, not bashing it. It just doesn't make sense saying wow sucks, while playing a game which is wow

I call BS on this one.

Saying SWTOR is wow, is saying that MW3 is BF3, very true that WoW is the most known title within its genre, but WoW is a MMORPG, and so is SWTOR.

Just to point out a few thing. SWTOR has Voice over on all NPCS, even your own charecter. WoW did not have any cover based classes. WoW did not have any Soloplayer quests, like Space war. Both games differ from eachother, within their game genre. Now stop thinking that every game is a WoW copy, they're just made from the MMORPG model.

Saying that SWTOR is wow 5 years ago should be a crime, SWTOR now compared to WoW on release, is way far ahead. You sir, should not post on forums.

Edited by Apwolff

Lack of add-ons really is what's going to keep this game out of the big leagues.

Pick out any 10 WoW raiders and you'll see 10 different UIs, each custom tailored to their user's preference. The basic UI is just that. Basic. Anybody that wants to seriously play this game is going to need something more. Until then, it's nothing more than an interesting distraction.

If Blizzard did one thing right, it was supporting add-on functionality. Not only do they allow the player to personalize their experience (which is supposed to be a core selling feature), but it also turns the entire player-base into an R&D team.

Look at how many features and functions Blizzard put into WoW that originated from add-ons. Not just UI stuff like Aggro Warnings and Raid Frames, but even quality of life features like automatically dismounting.

I've lost track of how many add-ons I've been able to get rid of over the years because Blizzard built them into the game.

Add-ons are the single best way to determine what features and improvements BioWare should be focusing their attention on. If 100,000 people have downloaded an add-on that does something, then that's a good indicator it's something BioWare should consider including for everybody.

Dungeon Finder ruined the social aspect of wow. There was no more reason to talk to people and to get to know your community and find people that you would like to keep playing with because you were always grouped up with random people that you never meet again.

So don't make it cross-realm. A dungeon finder tool within a single realm would still be a vast improvement over what we have now.

So much dungeon finder hate.

Did any of you actually play WoW before the LFD tool? Did you forget what it was like? Nobody ever wanted to run dungeons or heroics because finding a group could take 30-60 minutes and required you to sit in a city and spam trade chat. You could pretty much forget about ever running a dungeon below max level unless you have some friendly guild members that happened to also have toons at that levels. In short, it sucked.

Anyway, I'd imagine that we'd be just fine without the cross-server component for at least 1-2 years if the population stays high.

So you preferred it after the game was dumbed down so much that you could fly through a heroic dungeon in 15 minutes? Because that was post LFD WoW.

I personally preferred the game when it was hard enough that you had to pick the people you partied with in order to make it through the dungeon. Sure that took a bit longer, but never longer than 40 minutes if you were persistent. LFD queues have been up to 40 minutes and you are stuck with a bunch of randoms who may not know their butt from their elbow.

I don't go along with the fact that the dungeon finder turned people into all sorts of nasty things, but I do think it helped dumb the game down because the content had to be nerfed considerably to allow a disorganised group to be able to progress.

I call BS on this one.

Saying SWTOR is wow, is saying that MW3 is BF3, very true that WoW is the most known title within its genre, but WoW is a MMORPG, and so is SWTOR.

Just to point out a few thing. SWTOR has Voice over on all NPCS, even your own charecter. WoW did not have any cover based classes. WoW did not have any Soloplayer quests, like Space war.

Saying that SWTOR is wow 5 years ago should be a crime, SWTOR now compared to WoW on release, is way far ahead. You sir, should not post on forums.

Well you know to these people wow was the very first mmo ever in history of gaming. Genre's can't possibly have the same elements at all.. I mean they are just a genre right?

Lack of add-ons really is what's going to keep this game out of the big leagues.

Pick out any 10 WoW raiders and you'll see 10 different UIs, each custom tailored to their user's preference. The basic UI is just that. Basic. Anybody that wants to seriously play this game is going to need something more. Until then, it's nothing more than an interesting distraction.

If Blizzard did one thing right, it was supporting add-on functionality. Not only do they allow the player to personalize their experience (which is supposed to be a core selling feature), but it also turns the entire player-base into an R&D team.

Look at how many features and functions Blizzard put into WoW that originated from add-ons. Not just UI stuff like Aggro Warnings and Raid Frames, but even quality of life features like automatically dismounting.

I've lost track of how many add-ons I've been able to get rid of over the years because Blizzard built them into the game.

Add-ons are the single best way to determine what features and improvements BioWare should be focusing their attention on. If 100,000 people have downloaded an add-on that does something, then that's a good indicator it's something BioWare should consider including for everybody.

WoW had no add-ons on release day either. Be patient young padawan.

1) Dungeon finder.

I agree and think it would be nice if they'd implement it eventually. I'm not sure why people here hate on it so much. When I log on to play a game, I actually want to play it, not spend forever posting LFG in general and waiting, then having to run to the flashpoint and wait, then having to go back and do it again if someone drops, etc. At this early point in the game, I can say I haven't minded trolling General Chat too much looking for others, but I know I would definitely prefer to not have to do it.

2) UI customisation.

I don't mind the UI too much. I actually kind of like it. Granted, I don't have that many abilities yet, and the ones that I use outside of combat I put out on the sides. But I would like to see addons for this eventually. Or at the very least make it so that I can move windows around. I hate it that they're stuck wherever they open.

3) Group loot rules.

I can guarantee you that a big part of this problem is that an overwhelming majority of people right now don't know what gear is good or bad for them. I've been following this game for about a year and a half and even I have trouble with that sometimes still. Plus, with companions, you're really outfitting two toons now. I would like to eventually see a need/greed system that goes like this though:

Need for yourself.

Need for companion.

Greed.

Pass.

I'm sure eventually they'll do this and limit your ability to need on things you and your companion both can't use, but I think they have bigger fish to fry right now.

I suspect this will be forthcoming as well. I think, right now, it's more about making sure people get into any PvP Warzone quickly, rather than having to wait for a specific one. Remember that, as of now, they don't have battlegroups of servers like WoW does.

Eh... not at all big on my list.

6) Addons.

I absolutely agree on this one. I need some version of Recount. I wouldn't even care if they made it just a personal Recount where you can see only your own data and no one elses. I can't tell you how many times it's helped me figure out mistakes I was making, or helped me improved my game, or made me realize I was missing buffs or consumables, etc. That is the #1 addon I think this game needs. #2 is a threat meter.

7) Guild storage.

This is confirmed to be one of the very first things they'll add.

8) Achievements.

This. I don't care if you care if they're linkable or not, for the people who don't like to have to prove that they've downed a particular boss in order to get into a group. I just want achievements for my own personal enjoyment.

9) Fishing.

LOL.

I would also like to see them eventually add or fix:

1. The Galactic Trade Network - This needs some serious fixing. I want a search all function and some tooltip or addon like Auctioneer that keeps a history of prices. I like knowing what things are worth.

2. Univeral Buddy List/Messaging - So I can see and message my friends on other servers.

3. An internet game database and armory like the WoW Armory, so I can look up people's toons or guilds online, or review my own's stats while not in game.

4. Server Forums - Each server needs it's own forum here.

5. Guild Quests/Achievements - I've always liked these. I was big fan of them in EQ2.

6. Player Housing - I still don't understand why WoW doesn't have this. I loved this in EQ2. Does SW:TOR need it? Nah. I'm not really sure it even fits with the game the way it is right now, but it would be cool. Maybe it could be done with the ships by making them customizable, being able to decorate your personal quarters, etc. I don't know. But for me, this was one of the best parts of EQ2. I'd love it if they could find a way to implement it that meshed well with the game.

So you preferred it after the game was dumbed down so much that you could fly through a heroic dungeon in 15 minutes? Because that was post LFD WoW.

I personally preferred the game when it was hard enough that you had to pick the people you partied with in order to make it through the dungeon. Sure that took a bit longer, but never longer than 40 minutes if you were persistent. LFD queues have been up to 40 minutes and you are stuck with a bunch of randoms who may not know their butt from their elbow.

I don't go along with the fact that the dungeon finder turned people into all sorts of nasty things, but I do think it helped dumb the game down because the content had to be nerfed considerably to allow a disorganised group to be able to progress.

If by "pick the people you partied with" you mean "spam trade for 30-60 minutes and hope that you can find one tank, one healer, and three DPS that aren't total scrubs". Besides, a dungeon finder tool doesn't have to mean boring dungeons. The reason that you can fly through heroics in 15 minutes is the same reason that guilds have already killed 7/8 heroic bosses in the newest raid: Blizzard made WoW easymode to get more subscribers. Don't blame a useful tool like dungeon finder for that! I simply don't buy your argument.

Besides, you're ignoring the bigger problem. Story is supposed to be a big part of SW:TOR. Leveling is supposed to actually be fun and interesting. Flashpoints are a big part of the story. Without a dungeon finder tool, characters below max level are going to have a very, very difficult time finding groups for flashpoints in a few months once we've all hit 50 and start end-game content. That's terrible!

That had nothing to do with LFD and everything to do with Blizzard going overboard with their gear scaling during Wrath.

Dungeon content was never nerfed for the dungeon finder.

Yes, the Dungeon Finder was another nail in the coffin for the server community. But it also GOT PEOPLE IN THE DUNGEONS, which had been an increasing problem, especially at lower levels.

When a game developer has to choose between players playing content with random strangers or not playing content at all, the choice is pretty obvious.

I call BS on this one.

Comparing SW:TOR to release-day WoW is stupid. WoW is 7 years old, now, and there's been a lot of innovation in the MMORPG genre since 2004.

Without a dungeon finder tool, characters below max level are going to have a very, very difficult time finding groups for flashpoints in a few months once we've all hit 50 and start end-game content. That's terrible!

Emphasis by me.

So we NEED IT NOW?

You said it yourself...in a few months. So why the need to beg for it already?

Well, sometimes I wonder how I could have ever played without it..or lived without a mobile phone, not to mention over 100 channels on TV to choose from.

As Apwolff here has put it so eloquently:

Patience young padawan.

:)

Edited by Hotte

The reason i started this game is cause wow sucks. and now they use pandas? Blizzard is running out of ideas...

well if you have ever read the books of warcraft then u would know that panda where already in wow way before kung fu panda :) but i prefer this game

WoW was released in 2004. This is 2011, and not for much longer at that.

Skyrim was released a month ago, and the creation kit haven't been released yet. (add-on makers will need something like the creation kit to made add-ons)

Your argument is invalid, this is very much how games release today.