Call me crazy, but I actually want a Reputation-like system in SW:TOR

CelCawdro

Yeah, that's pretty nuts, right? But hear me out - I think that a reputation system would help SW:TOR out quite a bit at this point. Why? Quite frankly, because if dailies are going to be such a huge part of SW:TOR's endgame, it would be nice to have an overall goal to progress toward day after day. If those dailies are going to remain as a necessary evil, it would be great if we got the good parts of that system to go along with it.

Unlike WoW, however, SW:TOR is more about personal choices, and I'd like to see that reflected if such a system were implemented. Do you support the Revanites or the Dark Council agents that are rooting them out? Decisions like that would have added impact if they also set you up as a member of that particular faction after the "introductory" questline was complete, and rewards could differ, if not only aesthetically.

But I digress, as I'm going a bit beyond what my suggestion is at its core. All I'm asking is that dailies become a part of a long-term reward system. I know this idea will see backlash since being adamantly anti-WoW is fashionable on any MMO forum, but give a moment of thought to it beyond that initial reaction: we're already doing the grind, so why not give us the rewards?

I could stand behind this. I think people mistake certain MMO's "endgame" to be these kinds of grinds, so if people really want that, guess they can have it... heh.

I do think it would be a nice long-term thing to work towards as part of the dailies, more than just commendations.

I also thought there should be a "Republic/Empire loyalty system" In addition to the LS/DS, and I wouldn't mind seeing other factions involved too.

As long as the rewards are cosmetic though. I don't want to be "forced" into any of that stuff.

Edited by Stenrik

I think its a great idea because people like me will have a goal, rewards for ship like trophies and even more like new face effects so your face look change physically.

i have friends who left the game because they like to achieve things in every game they play so that is why they are playing The Lord Of The Rings Online because to many things to grind for and get rewards/ achievements.

Edited by saremun

Daily commendations, which give you gear/mods/recipes/speeder?

I'm sure that is categorized as a reward ;)

oh yeah like 200 Daily com for a dame speeder? why would i grind to get a speeder while i can get one from PVP or make it my self or get it from finishing the world Bosses? mods?armoring?

we are talking about another type of rewards, something you cant make or get in another way!

Actually, I was surprised that SWTOR didn't had a reputation system from the start, I had expected that we can do daily missions for the various crime syndicates (Hutts, Excange, Black Sun) to get access to certain stuff tehy offer (even if some would be purely cosmetically, like special pets and mounts).

Actually, I was surprised that SWTOR didn't had a reputation system from the start, I had expected that we can do daily missions for the various crime syndicates (Hutts, Excange, Black Sun) to get access to certain stuff tehy offer (even if some would be purely cosmetically, like special pets and mounts).

As instead they have planet commendations, which to an extent boils down to the same thing.

Thing is, it is not so much the rewards per se with reputation things, it's just the completionist factor. Commendations, don't end. A 0 / 10000 rep system however, will eventually run full and makes you feel like you accomplished something, and best of all, you get access to this same piece of equipment as you would with regular commendations, but make it feel so much more rewarding.

It's basic psychology to which Blizzard plays very well, BioWare on the other hand drops the ball on things like that.

Daily commendations, which give you gear/mods/recipes/speeder?

I'm sure that is categorized as a reward ;)

They're generalized rewards for every "faction" already present, and mostly obsolete. The only dailies you could really make an argument for are the space missions via fleet commendations - those are the only dailies with specific rewards that are actually relevant to the content you complete.

nice point!

like if someone raise his reputation with Hutts he get special access to certen new areas where the people who dont have the same access cant enter them, there he can make dealings with hutts( missions for great rewards or even just rewards) as for the fact that he is trusted by them!

Do mark the smiley I placed, damn people are triggerhappy on these forums..

oh yeah like 200 Daily com for a dame speeder? why would i grind to get a speeder while i can get one from PVP or make it my self or get it from finishing the world Bosses? mods?armoring?

we are talking about another type of rewards, something you cant make or get in another way!

What other type of rewards? The OP was making comparison with WoW, what did rep vendors have, some gear, which you would use for a week because obsolete after raidnight, some pets, some mounts, recipes for professions.. The way I see it there's no difference, since the daily comm vendor has gear (good endgame gear), it has a mount (where more will be added I guess as the game progresses), there's profession schematics.. the only thing missing is pets and maybe those items like some dwarves doing a weird dance, or turning into amber shait.

[quote name='mitrikzoltan']This actually could be pretty good. BW always advertised choices that have consequences. There are non. With a rep system, there could be. There could be endgame quests available/not available to you based on your choices and rep. Would be interesting.[/QUOTE] Used to be, people didn't like them. Just to name a few: Color crystal alignments* Companions could die* Armor alignments relic alignments speeder/pet alignments 2 of these were removed as indicated by the Asterisk* Not to mention decisions in your story do modify the story and some have consequences. Usually just in the form of a fight that could have been avoided.

I also think its something that the game needs. It gives meaning to quests besides just getting some credits when you have some rewards waiting for you.

As others have said, it also a way to flesh out some story.

Edited by Nemmar

Used to be, people didn't like them.

Just to name a few:

Color crystal alignments*

Companions could die*

Armor alignments

relic alignments

speeder/pet alignments

2 of these were removed as indicated by the Asterisk* Not to mention decisions in your story do modify the story and some have consequences. Usually just in the form of a fight that could have been avoided.

Sadly this is true, due to people QQ'ing about consequences of their choices Bioware removed parts of the game that gave it any depth it had or might of had.... Most MMO'ers want EVERYTHING handed to them on a silver platter and don't want ANY restrictions or consequences for their action.... Basically the same people who use cheat codes when playing console games to get everything without having to earn it....

The Ironic thing is, its the same people who leave the game shortly after launch because their bored and say the game has no depth to it..... (sigh)...

You know how more intense the story in this game would be if there was serious consequences to your choices you make? There would be a lot of "" hmm what should i do "" moments instead of the random button mashing that goes on, because no matter what you choose the outcome is same.....

I wish Bioware would of stuck with their original design for the game instead of catering to the cry babies and dumbing it way down....

A better way to handle alignment restrictions would be to have the item usable by anyone including color crystals but say for example your leveling up a light side Jedi and you want to use a red crystal, by equipping it you get 1000 dark side points, the same with relics and other alignment based gear.... Sure anyone can use it but you will be corrupted a bit by the dark side within the item for equipping it... Would play more into the lore and allow anyone to use any item in the game....

Edited by Monoth

In reply to monoth:

Im glad they removed the color crystal alignment personally, its a crystal and jedi/sith have had red/blue respectively. But the main thing was companions dying that I was referring to. They removed it due to "Balancing issue" which is an excuse.

I don't agree with the crystals but the could have left everything else the way it was, relics aren't a crystal they are exactly that "Relics" stuff that could be corrupted or holy. Hence they can keep their alignment.

Biggest thing would be in the Makeb update at least adding in a branching storyline depending on decisions like they do with mass effect/dragon age. Let our choices make a difference in the grand scheme and people would be less reluctant to have a gaurdian and a sentinel.