New Species Through Cosmetic Items?

Kualan

How plausible would this be?

Bioware have made it clear that they have avoided the more outlandish alien species (Wookiees, Trandoshans, etc) as player choices because they believe the story needs a relatively human-esque central character to be engaging. Fair enough, that makes sense, but does this mean that the door is closed forever on the crazier species in the Star Wars universe?

Would it not be possible to introduce cosmetic "party items" such as Rodian/Mon Calamari/Trandoshan/etc heads, hands and feet? They would be "masks" in-universe, which would account for them not being animated in cinematics and stuff, but would allow those players who wish to (particularly RPers, but I can see the appeal stretching across the board) to suspend their disbelief and play the game as one of a more varied selection of species.

The trade-off would be that you could not wear headgear as the species "mask" would -be- the headgear, but I think if somebody really wants to play as a Sullustan or Duros then this will be something they don't want to hide behind a helmet anyway.

A Bioware response of whether this could ever be on the cards would be a nice surprise! Even if it was a Cartel Market item.

Thoughts/feelings/comments from fellow players?

It would be nice to have something that isn't just a different colored human, or a human with accessories. I'm still hoping for the Togruta/Kel-Dor races to come out, I doubt they'll release Kel-Dor, theres no way the current voices will work with that race and most other crazier ones, y'know how lazy Bioware is with that stuff. Edited by Alohen

Sure, why not.

What species is Ashura (inquisitor companion)?

She is a Togruta.

On Topic....

I was hoping we would have some of the more "non-human" looking races in the shop.

I'm still hoping for one day having an Ewok Bounty Hunter and his cuddles of doom. I've only been asking for it since beta.

Edited by Gomla

How plausible would this be?

Bioware have made it clear that they have avoided the more outlandish alien species (Wookiees, Trandoshans, etc) as player choices because they believe the story needs a relatively human-esque central character to be engaging. Fair enough, that makes sense, but does this mean that the door is closed forever on the crazier species in the Star Wars universe?

Would it not be possible to introduce cosmetic "party items" such as Rodian/Mon Calamari/Trandoshan/etc heads, hands and feet? They would be "masks" in-universe, which would account for them not being animated in cinematics and stuff, but would allow those players who wish to (particularly RPers, but I can see the appeal stretching across the board) to suspend their disbelief and play the game as one of a more varied selection of species.

The trade-off would be that you could not wear headgear as the species "mask" would -be- the headgear, but I think if somebody really wants to play as a Sullustan or Duros then this will be something they don't want to hide behind a helmet anyway.

A Bioware response of whether this could ever be on the cards would be a nice surprise! Even if it was a Cartel Market item.

Thoughts/feelings/comments from fellow players?

Why not a Holodisguise? it makes you look like a certain species, lasts through combat, and disengages in story conversations

Why not a Holodisguise? it makes you look like a certain species, lasts through combat, and disengages in story conversations

Also a way to go, and could allow droids to be included in the selection of available "disguises" too. And it has precedent in canon!

She is a Togruta.

On Topic....

I was hoping we would have some of the more "non-human" looking races in the shop.

I'm still hoping for one day having an Ewok Bounty Hunter and his cuddles of doom. I've only been asking for it since beta.

Back off topic...

Do the male Torgruta's have horns hanging out of their dangle things up front?

I would love to see this as a playable species!

Back off topic...

Do the male Torgruta's have horns hanging out of their dangle things up front?

I would love to see this as a playable species!

No, you're thinking of Chagrians.

Male and female Togruta are pretty much the same.

Bizzare. But interesting. I support. My RPy friend would like them.

And to the second poster, she is a Togruta, but I believe BioWare is already working on them as a playable race.

Is there a source for this? I would really love to know if this has been confirmed :)

It would be nice to have something that isn't just a different colored human, or a human with accessories. I'm still hoping for the Togruta/Kel-Dor races to come out, I doubt they'll release Kel-Dor, theres no way the current voices will work with that race and most other crazier ones, y'know how lazy Bioware is with that stuff.

Why wouldn't it work? Voices are already modified based on Helmet/Mask and the Kel-Dor can speak Basic

No, you're thinking of Chagrians.

Male and female Togruta are pretty much the same.

To expand, the Togruta have the head tails like the Twi'lek's lekku but also have Montrals which refers to the hollow horns atop their heads. However the Montrals matches their body color and don't look like horns and are on both male & female Togruta.

Whereas with the Horns that the Chagrian have on top of their heads look more like actual horns but are only on the male Chagrians. While the female Chagrians lack the superior cranial horns, they had more pronounced and longer posterior head plates. These could reach halfway down their back.

With the popularity of the Clone Wars show they'd be fools not to.

Indeed, and as there are already models in game (both M and F) I can't imagine it would be that difficult to add in... same goes for Nautolan and Chagrian (and a few other popular choices)

I just hope that if they do release new playable races (even if they're CC Store items) that they also introduce character re-customisation and race change

It's only a matter of time before new races are added to the Cartel Market. The current ones are on there for 600 cartel coins each to unlock the race. I believe that a lot of people are going to buy these instead of spending the 1.5 million credits for it and EA will catch on that people love new races. (Hell, if they ever read the vast majority of posts about adding new races... they're already onto this fact.)

I know I would spend real cash on top of a sub for a new race.

This thread isn't so much about new full species though, as any that are added have to be humanoid to a large degree (Cathar are about as non-human as we are likely to get). This thread is more about exploring the plausibility of having access to more outlandish species through cosmetic items (a Mon Calamari 'mask' headgear item etc), as a loophole of sorts to getting outlandish species without Bioware having to completely revamp their story elements (voiceovers, cinematics, etc) to accommodate it.

(Cathar are about as non-human as we are likely to get)

To be clear, it has been stated that BioWare would move forward with implementing piles of goo if that's what the fans are asking for most (obviously jokingly, but still being clear that they know people are unsatisfied with the amount of "diversity," currently). Cathar were one of the most requested species prior to their announcement, and they're a species that BioWare has a special relationship with already. It was a logical starting place. Adding a bit of my own supposition here, I'd wager that as long as a species can use the existing body types, they're fair game for implementation. Outside of that... that's new class material, as they can't fit into the current class stories.

And if we were to wear Rodian helmets or something like that to emulate having these species available, I'd be quite disappointed. If they're going to put in the work, they may as well go full bore. What's the point of a workaround when they're fully capable of giving us the actual species?

Edited by CelCawdro

Kel-Dor species presents a problem, as awesome as they would be: They don't have humanoid lips. So, romance scenarios would be awkward.

It's scenarios like that make me think this could be a viable alternative. We have the "official" races that are designed with the storylines and cinematics in mind, and "party items" that can help us be the ones that don't fit into this framework without forcing BW to break their own rule on the matter.

This is what I hoped as well. Add in some new species into the shop. Then only people who really want them would buy them, the universe would not be over crowded wiith these bizzar aliens and most everyone who would spend money on a species has probably played the game decided they like it and will now invest.

Sadly I can't see them agreeing to the masks or the new species idea. Although with all the lay offs at Bioware and people leaving most of the people saying we could not have aliens might have left (lets all hope so). So maybe we will see a shift in their views.

Edited by Izorii

• 2 months later...
It's only a matter of time before new races are added to the Cartel Market. The current ones are on there for 600 cartel coins each to unlock the race. I believe that a lot of people are going to buy these instead of spending the 1.5 million credits for it and EA will catch on that people love new races. (Hell, if they ever read the vast majority of posts about adding new races... they're already onto this fact.)

I know I would spend real cash on top of a sub for a new race.

Nope, EA is too incompetent to reach this conclusion, they won't do it. This is part insult to EA, but this also has some ground in truth. EA is extremely bad at giving the customer what they want most, they're terrible businessmen/woman and should just stop, and fall, and disentigrate into non-existence before they ruin anything else. But yah...just my opinion.